Author Topic: Cant download new version  (Read 13657 times)

g-egbs

Cant download new version
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:22:26 pm »
When I go to Updates and press Check, an error message appears but vanishes too quickly to read

sky_high30

Re: Cant download new version
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:23:14 pm »
I'm having this problem too. Tried using an SD card and through wiring it to my router, very bizarre. Error message states:

Checking for Updates
/root/servers/check.sh: Error, Cannot access update details

Then defaults back to the config screen.

g-egbs

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:28:12 pm »
At least you were able to read the error message, its far too fast for me on my MacBook Air

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:41:29 pm »
Hi Guys,

Have you read the Operating Manual re the updates procedure? You first need to download the update from 'pilotaware.lode.co.uk'. You can access it from the last entry on the Forum 'Licensing and Downloads' Page , then carefully copy it to the root (top level) of a USB stick. Make sure the file name hasn't got corrupted - it MUST be called 'pilotaware.pgp' or it won't be recognised. The USB stick can now be inserted into the spare USB port on PAW while it is running.

Now go to the update screen and press 'Check for Updates'. Give it a minute or two and the new update will be listed on the screen as available. Click 'Install' and wait 'til the software installs and the unit restarts. You should now see the new software version shown on the Home and Configure Screens - if not try refreshing your browser and check the URL as it has probably changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.1/action/install.

Finally remove the USB stick. You can use it to update other PAWs with the same software update, but remember to delete the current version before you do the next update or your system WILL corrupt the filename.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:13:32 pm by exfirepro »

Deker

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:43 pm »
Haven't had much luck connecting to the router last few times,
Update using USB stick works every time, so use this method.

g-egbs

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
Thanks for that all done.

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:36:11 pm »
Are you removing the WiFi dongle when you try to connect to the router via the LAN port?

g-egbs

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:11:25 pm »
No, should that make a difference ?

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
g-egbs,

Ian was just reminding Deker that if you are trying to update PilotAware by direct connection to your router with an ethernet cable, leaving the wi-fi dongle in situ can prevent the PilotAware connecting if your home router is on the same IP Subnet as PilotAware i.e. 192.168.x.x. Personally I never had a problem with this, but in any case updating by USB stick (which wasn't available as an option before August 2016) is much simpler and faster, hence why I recommended it.

Regards

Peter

p.s. sky_high30, have you managed to get yours updated OK yet?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:30:05 pm by exfirepro »

sky_high30

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
Yup, all sorted now. I'm not sure what the problem with the ethernet is - The only thing I can think of is we use an Air Port as a router which puts out two WIFI networks and it didn't like it for some reason. Using the memory card failed at first; the key - seemingly - is to make sure the memory card is formatted for FAT32. I was initially getting the same error message as it was formatted exFAT (128gb card out of the ship's GoPro as it was all I had lying around), but making sure the card was formatted FAT32 fixed it and the USB update performed as advertised.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 06:32:37 pm »
skt-high30,

Yes, the card has to be formatted as FAT32. Normal advice is to format the card using SDFormatter using 'Full Overwrite' format with 'Size Adjustment' 'On', though as I said above, using USB is much quicker - as long as the user already has at least PilotAware Version 20160820 (which added the USB Reader) installed.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »
You cannot update via WiFi

You can use:
1. The LAN port, with wifi dongle removed.
2. USB. Pen drive, which is what I assume you mean by 'memory card'
3. Re- image the SD card

Like Pete I prefer the USB Pen Drive, which is also the quickest way to do several machines.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:13 pm »
Ian,

I don't think he was actually trying to update via WiFi as he previously said he had it hooked up to the router by cable, but presumably the router was on the same subnet.

Regards as ever

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 12:03:02 am »
Same subnet is ok, but a router address of 192.168.1.1 isn't. Some routers have other addresses as default, for example my Plusnet one is 192.168.1.254. This works fine with the wifi dongle still in, and I can then use either the DHCP allocated address or I can use 192.168.1.1 to access the PAW. This is good as I can launch Sky Demon when connected to my home network and it picks up the PAW!  ;D

r_w_walker

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:11 pm »
For the previous update I just plugged in an ethernet cable, connected the PAW power and left it for 30 minutes. Worked O.K.

But not today. Monitoring on my Hudle,(Android tablet) I can see the following error message;-

Checking for Updates
/root/servers/check.sh: Error, Cannot access update details

So why is the above simple procedure not working now?

I did not have to unplug dongles before and do not want to start updating by USB pen drive or SD card.

Can the automatic update procedure be reinstated please?
South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285