Author Topic: Cant download new version  (Read 13659 times)

Admin

Re: Cant download new version
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 10:28:07 am »
The automatic update is starting ll in place.
I am guessing you have left your wifi dongle connected to which is clashing with your home router
Please follow the procedure in the  user guide

Thx
Lee

r_w_walker

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 11:34:45 am »
Hello Lee,

Thank you for the response.

I had tried with and without the WiFi dongle. Not Worked?

My router is on 192.168.2.1 so should not be a problem.

The operating instructions have several procedures but I am only interested in using the automatic one.

Did not have to remove dongles for the last update.

Will try again later.
South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285

Admin

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »
Also, check your ip is set to automatic, otherwise it may use a static ip address

r_w_walker

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 07:55:27 pm »
O.K. Thank you,

Problem was IP address set to static.

Changed it to Dynamic. Updating now.

Never had to do that before.

The operating instructions may say somewhere to change to Dynamic, but not in the software update section?

Great system, great help forum. Thanks.

South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285

Smaragd

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:34:05 pm »
Today have gone to pilotaware.lode.co.uk, pressed Update File - nothing happens other than box changes to blue. How do I find pilotaware.pgp?

OK, working now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:38:01 pm by Smaragd »

Smaragd

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:15:31 pm »
....working to the extent that I managed to load pilotaware.pgp to my stick. However after starting PAW, removing GPS dongle once up and running, inserting stick, opening Updates page and pressing Check for Updates button, I just get a message:
"/root/servers/check.sh:  Error. Cannot access update details"

Any suggestions? My present software is 20170619.

Admin

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
Have you used that memory stick before ?
Sounds like it is not formatted correctly, or when copying the file, it was renamed due to an existing file of the same name ?

Smaragd

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 06:02:20 pm »
I've used the stick before (for carrying different files, but I deleted them before loading the .pgp). I also tried this method at the previous update (with a different stick, from which I hadn't deleted other files), with the same result.

Is there anything particular about the format?

Keithvinning

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »
What is the actual filename name on the memory stick  i.e. ********.pgp

Admin

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 07:58:16 pm »
I think the format is FAT, would need to double check

Smaragd

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 09:24:02 pm »
What is the actual filename name on the memory stick  i.e. ********.pgp
PilotAware.pgp, and the stick is formatted as FAT

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
Smaragd,

I have just done a USB Stick update to 20170721 on a spare PAW from 20170619 with no problems. My stick is 16 Gb USB 2 formatted FAT32 with loads of other stuff on it - including copies of PAW track logs and older .pgps - but they are all inside folders, so that the only .pgp file at the root (top level) is the 'new' PilotAware.pgp. I also regularly use another stick which is 32 Gb USB 3 also formatted FAT 32 with no problems.

In fact, I've never had any problems with USB updates before, except when I once inadvertently put the stick in a spare port previously configured for 'Flarm In' - when the PAW - looking for Flarm Data, understandably read all the previous track logs stored on the stick and reacted to them as if they were new Flarm data. This shouldn't have been an issue in your case as you say you used the GPS port - which is the recommended one unless your spare port is still configured to auto. It sounds to me like something is corrupted - you might need to do a full software re-install after reformatting your microSD card (Full Overwrite Format, with Size Adjustment 'On'), but wait 'til Lee comes back on first unless you are confident in how to do so.

Regards

Peter

Smaragd

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 11:57:29 pm »
Peter - I did a full software reinstall last time to get 20170619 when the USB stick method failed. At the moment 20170619 still appears to be running OK. So I can do this for the latest software - I just would like the "quick" method to work!

What's the significance of "unless your spare port is still configured to auto"? Is there something I have overlooked there?

Thanks to all for the prompt service!   

Ian Melville

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 12:24:56 am »
Um, I have 2 PAW  and have updated them by USB stick several times without issue. FAT32 format. A friend with a PAW is not so lucky, I have tried three times to do the USB stick update, but ended up fully installing the image as the update routine will not recognise there is an update available. That was using a USB stick that had just done my own. Go figure as they say🤔 Wondered if it has something to do with the version of the RPi.
Going to try the latest update later this week.

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:57 am »
Peter

What's the significance of "unless your spare port is still configured to auto"? Is there something I have overlooked there

Hi Smaragd,

Maybe I didn't word that very well. -

By default all 4 USB ports are configured as 'auto' (see bottom of the PAW 'Configure' screen). If no changes have beeen made, we would naturally use the 'empty' port (normally top left, which is Port 1) for USB stick updates, but you say...
after starting PAW, removing GPS dongle once up and running, inserting stick, opening Updates page and pressing Check for Updates button, I just get a message:
"/root/servers/check.sh:  Error. Cannot access update details"

There is nothing 'wrong', with that, but using the GPS dongle port for USB updates is a specific technique we developed when we discovered that if the USB stick is plugged into a port which has been re-configured for FLARM-in, ADSB-out and other options, this causes the process to go crazy as described above - either reacting to other data on the stick or trying to write loads of unwanted data to the stick. It is also not good to remove the WiFi dongle while the unit is running, so this left the SDR port or the better sited GPS port as the obvious choice for USB update for those of us running other external 'attachments'.

If you haven't re-configured any of your ports, Port 1 (top left) is therefore still the obvious choice for USB stick updates, though there is no reason why the gps or SDR port won't also work as long as they are still configured to auto.

Worth checking.

Regards

Peter