Author Topic: Pilot aware just arrived, doesn't seem to do anything.  (Read 10489 times)

chipmeisterc

Pilot aware just arrived, doesn't seem to do anything.
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:50:14 pm »
Hi all,
Have just received my PilotAware, followed instructions to plug all the bits in (minus screwing case on) have tried to power up but nothing seems to happen. Have tried from pc usb output and then from samsung galaxy s7 usb plug (which can do 2.0 amp output) I am using the supplied lead. Any suggestions? There isn't an on button is there? :)

chipmeisterc

Re: Pilot aware just arrived, doesn't seem to do anything.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:55:57 pm »
Just to add have left for 3-4mins no activity. No noises, no lights.

Have tried removing the board from the case entirely, can't see where led's should be - but no lights coming on at all on board when power plugged in.

Lead tested with other device and works fine. Do I have a dodgy board? :(

Interestingly, I bought one of the recommendee Anker power blocks. If I plug phone into it it charges and blue lights come on on anker. If I plug into PilotAware it does nothing and no blue lights on anker
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:31:09 pm by chipmeisterc »

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »
Sounds very strange as the units are all reassembled and tested prior to dispatch, so should work. Very unlikely that you have a dodgy board or it wouldn't have run in pre-dispatch testing. It's worth checking that the micro SD card is properly clicked into its slot in case it has become dislodged in transit. The unit should show a solid red led on the opposite end of the Raspberry Pi from the USB sockets to show 'power on', then a flashing green as it boots up. It won't go into full operation until it boots up fully and gets a solid gps fix, which can easily take 20 minutes or more first time round and needs a good view of the satellites - i.e. best done outside with a clear view of the southern sky.

PilotAware is extremely unlikely to run off a laptop USB output, by the way. Re your Anker power block, can you post a link or whatever to the model you bought as there have been reports of some of the new versions with 'Intelligent charging circuitry' refusing to recognise the Raspberry Pi. Power Block is still likely to be the best option to power the PAW at this stage.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:03:03 pm by exfirepro »

chipmeisterc

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:46 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.
The model is"Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with one of the Most Powerful 4.8A Output, PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 7 /6s /SE, iPad and Samsung Galaxy S8 / S7 and More (Black)"

I have just got the multimeter out.. Getting 0v at pp1 and pp2 on PI  from both the Anker and the 5v 2amp plug to usb :( (Using SD card case as ground) so not drawing any power at all

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:02:19 pm by chipmeisterc »

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:07:07 pm »
Sorry, was busy editing/updating previous post.

Certainly sounds like the right power block. Have you checked that the micro SD is properly located?

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:08:56 pm »
Try removing all the dongles from the USB slots and rebooting the bare Raspberry Pi

Peter

chipmeisterc

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:16:58 pm »
Hi Peter, I have removed all connections from the board, including the bridge. Testing voltages at pp1 and pp2 I am getting 0v so it looks like there is no power getting into the device from the usb power port - it is not loose on the board/no obvious signs of damage.

chipmeisterc

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:32:35 pm »
Ok another update. Decided to give the usb lead that came with my Galaxy S7 a go, instead of the supplied lead. Interestingly I am now reading 4.97v at PP1 and PP2. If I read at PP7 however I am getting 0v, confirmed by testing either side of the PolyFuse. So now getting some power but looks like the fuse has gone...

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:39:58 pm »
I've never known one of the supplied leads go faulty - that's why we supply them as in the early 'homebuild' days, units would regularly fail to boot due to poor quality power cables or supplies causing inadequate supply voltage. I've certainly never known a polyfuse to blow. I suggest you drop an email to pilotawarehardware@gmail.com Mark it FTAO Dave Styles. Dave will be able to advise on returning the unit for replacement.

Regards

Peter

chipmeisterc

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:49 pm »
Hugely appreciate your help, these things happen. Will drop him an email now.
Thanks,
Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »
You're welcome. Replacement should work as intended. Any probs, you know where to ask.

Regards

Peter

p.s. Just thinking, 4.97 volts still sounds a bit low. You need to be sure your power supply can supply  2 amps without dropping below 5 volts, though this could of course be due to a faultt on the board. P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:02:05 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:01 am »
If the short was before the fuse, it would not blow and a lot of smoke will get out. If after the fuse, it will blow, but the short will no longer hold the voltage down. So I doubt the issue is a short.

Admin

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:15 am »
Hi Chris

Can I ask you try another power supply, and also try all different outputs from the Anker.
If I recall correctly, poweriq may use a soft start charge startup, there is a similar charger easyacc which has an issue

Thx
Lee

chipmeisterc

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:40 am »
Hi Lee,
I have just tried Anker again that now gives me 5.13v at pp1 and pp2 with my lead. 0 with supplied lead. 0v at pp7 so polyfuse has def gone and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of coming back to life.

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:48 am »
Hi Chris

Can I ask you try another power supply, and also try all different outputs from the Anker.
If I recall correctly, poweriq may use a soft start charge startup, there is a similar charger easyacc which has an issue

Thx
Lee

That was what I was alluding to last night Lee. Still confused by the 0 volts with the supplied lead but showing a voltage on a different lead, though, unless the Samsung lead is introducing a slightly higher resistance and switching the IQ circuitry 'on'.

author=chipmeisterc link=topic=932.msg11424#msg11424 date=1497599260]
Hi Lee,
I have just tried Anker again that now gives me 5.13v at pp1 and pp2 with my lead. 0 with supplied lead. 0v at pp7 so polyfuse has def gone and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of coming back to life.

Chris,

I'd still like to see a link to the actual Anker Pack you bought if you can manage to post one please. Sellers description sounds like the same ones I use (from Amazon), but would be useful to know definitively, as I know Anker have brought out a newer version with updated 'intelligent' charging circuitry, which we know has caused issues with other makes.

Regards

Peter