Author Topic: Pilot aware just arrived, doesn't seem to do anything.  (Read 10488 times)

chipmeisterc

Re: Pilot aware just arrived, doesn't seem to do anything.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 10:54:51 am »

I get the same 0v lead issue when using the Anker or the Samsung 5v 2amp plug->usb, so don't think the Anker is the issue. (But oddly I can charge phone if I use the supplied lead from both Anker and Plug)

I have just heard back from Dave who has kindly agreed to arrange a replacement. Will get the unit back in the post today. Will be interested what he discovers.

Thanks again for the help :)

JCurtis

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:49:50 am »
In the USB spec a "power thief" can only draw up to 500ma (0.5 A), and that is exactly what as Raspberry Pi is as it only has the two power leads connected to anything on the power in port.  Some smart chargers will put a current limit on such devices, which is fine according to the spec, but not great for the real world.

That said if the resistance across the poly fuse is anything other than a few ohms, it is a rabbit of negative euphoria* and will need replacing. 

* For those who haven't found "Cabin Pressure" that was on Radio 4 your seriously missing out...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 12:29:15 pm »
Chris,

Exactly the same Anker Pack as the ones I use, so certainly would have no worries there. Good to hear Dave has things in hand for a replacement unit.

Jeremy,

Useful advice as always. I will investigate the reference.

Regards both

Peter

Admin

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 12:45:21 pm »
* For those who haven't found "Cabin Pressure" that was on Radio 4 your seriously missing out...

Big fan too
  ;D

Keithvinning

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 06:31:43 pm »
That said if the resistance across the poly fuse is anything other than a few ohms, it is a rabbit of negative euphoria* and will need replacing. 

Not a happy bunny
We are also big fans
What is your view on where "Fitton" is EGBE or EGBB? Or elsewhere??

chipmeisterc

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »
Hi all,
Just to follow up on this, I have been so busy with work that I totally forgot to return the unit to David to take a look at. The good news is that I have now sourced a new PI2B and having plugged everything in it seems to work. (With a trial key obtained from licencing website)
The bad news is, because I have a new PI2B the MAC address isn't recognized when I enter it for a 1st year system key and therefore I cannot get a full key. I have just emailed David regarding this but I am not sure who the correct person is to handle this? Ideally I either need my new MAC address added to the licencing database or for a key to be provided. Happy to PM mac address over if that helps.
Thanks,
Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »
Chris, contact Lee by PM as he is the person to sort out Licences, not Dave. As soon as he is aware, he turns it around in no time.

That reminds me, I have one to change as well.

Admin

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »
Chris I will sort this tomorrow, I presume the correct hostid, will be the one you generated a demo key, If so I will set that as the correct key

Thx
Lee

chipmeisterc

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
Hi Lee,
Yes please, the hostid from the demo key is the one. (Key generated today)
Many thanks!
Chris

chipmeisterc

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:51:29 am »
Hi Lee,
Any updates on the key? I have just tried entering my Mac address again and still getting the same error.
Many thanks,
Chris

Admin

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 01:23:56 pm »
Hi Lee,
Any updates on the key? I have just tried entering my Mac address again and still getting the same error.
Many thanks,
Chris

Email en-route ...

chipmeisterc

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 01:33:08 pm »
Received, many thanks :)

Left the PilotAware running all day yesterday in my Window with Zaon MRX on top and tablet on my desk to keep an eye on traffic as I worked. Really impressed with the results so far! The MRX seems to have better range for C and S traffic but the Pilot Aware seemed to give better relative altitude readings. Looking forward to going flying and testing properly!

Keep up the great work.

exfirepro

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:01 pm »
Chris,

I take it you know you can adjust Mode C/S 'Range' in PilotAware on your 'Configure' Screen. Due to the way bearingless targets are handled, this is effectively a sensitivity adjustment rather than a true 'range' setting but moving to a longer range will pass more traffic to your audio alerts and Nav Display. Also just double-check you DO have Mode C/S enabled - it is disabled by default when the units are shipped. In Mode C/S Select, you need to select Mode S, or C/S AND if you are running a transponder in the same aircraft - use the Mode C/S + Filter setting.

Glad to hear you are finally getting results.

Regards

Peter

chipmeisterc

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:10 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The settings I was using were:

Mode C/S Separation: +-2000ft
Mode C/S Range:Long Range
Mode C/S Select:Mode-CS(Beta)

That said I am testing in Windowsill of house in a residential area so I'm sure there are lots of reflections etc messing with the signal. Looking forward to testing properly in the aircraft :)

P.S Thanks for pointing out what Filtering does, I was going to ask.. Will remember to set that when I go flying.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:53:47 pm by chipmeisterc »

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »
Chris,

All OK, but to improve your chances of seeing traffic from your windowsill, I'd open up your vertical separation to the max - and also do the same in your Nav System (which controls known position targets i.e. ADS-B and P3i). This helps to get you used to the different types of alerts quicker, then you can readjust to what you actually want for practical flying later on (probably medium or even short range for Mode C/S to limit the audio alerts).

Regards

Peter