Author Topic: PilotAware Latest Release 20150919  (Read 20779 times)

rg

PilotAware Latest Release 20150919
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:08:26 am »
New web interface is pretty good. 

Is the RXTX (ARF) = ON value a good indicated the its wired up correctly and should be working?

Admin

Re: PilotAware Latest Release 20150919
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:27:28 am »
New web interface is pretty good. 

Is the RXTX (ARF) = ON value a good indicated the its wired up correctly and should be working?

Hi Russ
Yes its a very good indicator.
It means the software has been able to communicate with the ARF, and configure it into the mode used by PilotAware.
Trying to put better feedback into the web interface...

Thx
Lee

rg

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:23:35 pm »
That's good.

I've had the new PilotAware running quite happily for a few hours at home with no obvious issues.   I just powered off my bluetooth GPS.  I quite quickly got a message in SD that the GPS signal had been lost. As expected.

I've turned it (GPS) back on. Everything else has remain unchanged but I couldn't reconnect to PilotAware from with SD.  I've restated all software and still I get stuck on the message box that says "Please wait while a connection is established to your external device...."

I'm definitely still on the PilotAware wifi and web interface is updating.

After some time it will reconnect but this does seem to be a bit temperamental at times.  On this occasion I had to pop out for 20mins and when I got back it connected fine so I don't know how long it had to be left.  I was certainly trying for a few minutes and way longer that I could have in the cockpit.

Whats the most likely cause of this?

Pete

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:53:43 pm »
Hi Lee

Last week using the original s/w release I was testing the location of aircraft against Flight Radar 24 as I went touring around North Wales and I was picking up targets 25nm-41nm in range - pretty impressive from the setup and mirroring FR24 closely.
I have tonight loaded the 20150919 s/w and again tested against FR24, not so many targets identified and range seem to be no more than 29nm max ( not complaining as I really only want to see the target that is going to hit me!!!) Just wondered if it is the s/w release or just a coincidence?I need more time to check this out but any suggestions welcome?

I've not been able to test against box to box to see the 868Mhz of the unit in action as awaiting regulator boards to build a few more just the ADS-B 1090Mhz side of things seems pretty good...
Regards
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

falcoguy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:32 am »
Lee
Problems with 20150919?
I have added the barometric sensor to one of our PilotAwares and updated to 20150919
I note the wireless icon doesn't light up beside the ipad logo on the left hand side, however
After some time I have been able to:
Enter web server via safari on 192.168.1.1 -Despite having the Barometric sensor I note it states Pressure Altitude (BMP) OFF - does this mean there is a problem?
BMP sensor is wired to 1,3,5&9  (cant wire to Digole for power supply because of glue contamination)
Switch on CollisionAware
I can see my location with Flarm on SkyDemon.

Dave t

falcoguy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:21:22 am »
Further report

I am having sky demon report "attempting to connect to external device"
"failed to connect to butterfly device" and terminating "go fly"
Stability at the moment is poor!  I'm powering via 2.1 amp mains supply and cable that was previously OK.
Can keep it running for minutes only!

Regards
Dave t

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 08:42:44 am »
Lee
Problems with 20150919?
I have added the barometric sensor to one of our PilotAwares and updated to 20150919
I note the wireless icon doesn't light up beside the ipad logo on the left hand side, however
After some time I have been able to:
Enter web server via safari on 192.168.1.1 -Despite having the Barometric sensor I note it states Pressure Altitude (BMP) OFF - does this mean there is a problem?
BMP sensor is wired to 1,3,5&9  (cant wire to Digole for power supply because of glue contamination)
Switch on CollisionAware
I can see my location with Flarm on SkyDemon.

Dave t

Hi Dave,
The 'Pressure Altitude (BMP) OFF' message will cahnge once it is interrogated, this will happen as soon as the NAV device connects.
I will try to put a check in earlier that does not require the NAV tool to connect.
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 08:45:59 am »
Further report

I am having sky demon report "attempting to connect to external device"
"failed to connect to butterfly device" and terminating "go fly"
Stability at the moment is poor!  I'm powering via 2.1 amp mains supply and cable that was previously OK.

Regards
Dave t

Hmm, this sounds bad.
Please clarify the issue you are seeing.
1. Are you unable to connect from SkyDemon, or ?
2. You are able to connect, but the connection is lost shortly thereafter ?
This statement confused me
I am not sure if it connects, runs, then disconnects, or does not connect at all.

One final question, are you able to run your experiment when a monitor is connected.
This should print information about the connection from skydemon.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:52:23 am by Admin »

falcoguy

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 09:08:42 am »
Just tried - I'd left it on
Collisionaware will switch on but as soon as you press the button to change screens the button switches off!
checked no lights on the RPi, nothing on TV screen. USB Wireless light flicking, and ARF lights on
Re booted
RPI lights came on
TV screen gave normal boot sequence
Lights on RPI power on and green light flicks on and off.  Red light goes off (tried with another and this does the same)
IPad will not now see the PilotAware wif I - just says it cannot connect.
Think I will have to give up and work!
I think I'm now f----d!
Dave t

Admin

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:00 am »
Just tried - I'd left it on
Collisionaware will switch on but as soon as you press the button to change screens the button switches off!
checked no lights on the RPi, nothing on TV screen. USB Wireless light flicking, and ARF lights on
Re booted
RPI lights came on
TV screen gave normal boot sequence
Lights on RPI power on and green light flicks on and off.  Red light goes off (tried with another and this does the same)
IPad will not now see the PilotAware wif I - just says it cannot connect.
Think I will have to give up and work!
I think I'm now f----d!
Dave t

Hi Dave,
OK, the Red light I recall is a power indicator, if it goes off, I think there is a power issue IIRC
an experiment to try would be to unplug the connector on the GPIO containing the ARG/REG/BMP,
I wonder if the BMP modification has introduced a hardware error ?

Without the GPIO connector fitted, it should boot and run in an ADS-B only mode.

Thx
Lee

falcoguy

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
Lee
I am experimenting
will report back
initially with arf and bmp disconnected skydemon lost gps after about 1 min (same as with both connected)
have left all on and have just tried reconnecting and will see how long it lasts this time.
TV screen has gone black and I don't know how to get the screen back!

Dave t

falcoguy

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:03:46 am »
Well
I have tried and I think without the ARF and BMP fitted it lasts a little longer before logging out of SkyDemon (GoFLY).  However it seems a little haphazard, so I cannot say this with surety.  But it still says GPS connection lost on SkyDemon

The tv screen says:
NAV -TCP socket timeout

sometimes before this it comments
GPS-TCP socket timeout
GPS-TCP 2000? - tv screen gone black again now! so I cannot remember

I have also had
Skydemon connected

and then skydemon had said no connection - the tv screen still says connected to Skydemon - although its not.

Its all totally haphazard.

Dave t

However, collsionaware has locked out - re established this and Skydemon says it cannot connect to my butterfly connect unit - however I can read the web page quite easily in safari!

falcoguy

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
I have gone back to version 20150912, still with the ARF and BMP connected

this appears more stable for some reason - Skydemon hasn't logged out, although after the comment:
SkyDemon connected
the machine has still logged
GPS Wi Fi socket timeout
GPS Wi fi listening for connection
GPS Wi Fi Listening 2001

Regards
Sorry to give so much trouble - I have no idea wether enabling the BMP in version 19 is causing the problem, or its something else, but the hardware is the same so I am concluding it must be something occurring in the software or its implementation of the extra hardware?
I can look to powering the BMP off the digole - but I need to scrape off some glue and find the 3.3v power source.  Where is it?  However I looked at the data sheet for the BMP and It only takes a few mA so I thought the RPI 3.3v power should be more than enough to supply it.

Dave

falcoguy

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
My last try
Using 20150919
Kept my header with all cables - except I pulled out the power supply cable for the BMP from pin 1.  Therefore I reason the BMP sensor will not draw power or work!

The PilotAware is perfectly stable, but for some reason the web interface thinks BMP is ON.  No idea what the actual BMP it is using is though. There is definitely no power to this device

I guess I've given enough
Lee if you want to contact me at my falcoguy e mail please do.

Regards
Dave t

falcoguy

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »
as of 18.00 tonight
i've finally got 20150919 working with the barometric sensor on one pilotaware unit.
I've no idea what I've done - but I did move the ADSB aerial to a better location and am receiving ads traffic.  It now seems OK.  I will test for a few hours.

dave t