Author Topic: Mode-S pretty good after all!  (Read 10501 times)

Admin

Mode-S pretty good after all!
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:03:50 pm »
For those of you in the know, will probably recall I was pretty skeptical about trying to implement Mode-S detection, a number of recent alerts have certainly altered my opinion

I tend to take PAW on my commute to my office from Coventry down past Oxford, if nothing more than trying to uncover bugs or poor behavior. On my commute home this evening I got a Mode-S  danger audio alert, looked at the screen to see a traffic report at 154ft above me, and thought something screwy, at that time I was nowhere near an airfield, had a good (but careful) look around and could see nothing - and thought damn a bug, well at least I have the track files to investigate later. Took another look to be sure, and saw a Chinook, skimming the fields at 3 oclock about 3/4 mile away.

I am definitely A convert on the Mode-S capability, thanks to those who persistently pushed me to investigate, it definitely sharpens your wits when I hear those audio voice warnings !

Although I was only in my car, I well definitely sit up and take notice when flying

Interested to hear other experiences on Mode-S detecion

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:30:09 am by Admin »

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Mode-S pretty good after all!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:27:06 pm »
So, about Mode C...

::)  ;D

JCurtis

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:48:01 pm »
I get them regularly for aircraft going in/out of Cambridge, looking at the traffic screen I reckon about half are often Mode S (the distance is blank) targets.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

DaveStyles

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:31:06 am »
G-MEGS was circling where I live at 1100' earlier. I know this because I could hear a light aircraft, logged onto my PAW and there it was! Mode S.

My wife says I've turned into a plane spotter as I google the reg of anything that goes past.

Btw, the new Royal helicopter has ADSB out !!

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
Ah ha Lee,

Now you know why Peter and I have spent so much time trying to land this one.
Maybe being a novice pilot (in my case) has its benefits as you are not entrenched in long held beliefs and all of the training regarding lookout and the consequences of not getting it right are fresh in your mind.  Like you have said, it will never be a fine art but some warning is better than none at all and if that means the occasional alert that you don't see, then so be it.   :D

Well done.  Great piece of kit.   ;D ;D
Alan

AerialRob

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 08:33:34 pm »
I received mode s alerts today whilst airborne some from aircraft also identified to us by ATC as traffic to look out for .
We haven't got the audio input sorted yet and are concerned it introduces more cables to the setup.
It would be more convenient if SkyDemon could alert to draw attention to the screen when a mode s is detected as it does when approaching CAS or masts.
These are loud enough to be heard whilst flying even when wearing headphones.
Hopefully it will be possible for  these refinements to be introduced as this excellent device becomes more widespread.
Regards
Bryce

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:09:41 pm »
Talk to Tim Dawson of Sky Demon. There are a few enhancements he could make to the traffic display...

AerialRob

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:58:27 pm »
Just done that.
Lets hope enough SkyDemon users will do the same to get the message across.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »
I understand Tim at SkyDemon is very busy, in which case I plan to revert the SD behavior in the next release to use the Mode-C rings.
I can retain the EasyVFR behavor by using a different pin code when connecting, internally I will use the pin code to determine the format of the messages to send to the NAV device.
In which case I plan to allocate specific pin codes to specific NAV tools.

Thx
Lee

roweda

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 05:14:38 pm »
I can retain the EasyVFR behavor by using a different pin code when connecting, internally I will use the pin code to determine the format of the messages to send to the NAV device.

Lee - Please let me know what PIN code you plan to assign to EasyVFR and I will get the guidance updated with screen shots across to Keith so it is ready for the release date.. Do you have a date in mind at this stage?

Dave

Admin

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 05:23:11 pm »
Hi Dave
This will roll into the next release.
When I am back at my computer I will publish the intended allocation of codes

Thx
Lee

rwheeler

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 05:36:42 pm »
Hi Lee and the whole team

You chaps are amazing!!

I have just received my "new" replacement Pi2 kit and within minutes had it up and running here are my desk in Fulham directly under the LHR flightpath (though unusually they are taking off to the East)

I had a go a setting the Mode S detection to "noisy" and instantly started getting audio reports of a helicopter tracking down the Thames nearby - brilliant!!

If interested have a look at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nazuy8t5l3kswul/WP_20160617_013.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdaydtvox763c5/WP_20160617_014.mp4?dl=0

Anyway keep up the good work - I look forward to converting my RV9 group to PAW afficiandos!!

Rgds

Rod

Admin

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31:10 pm »
Thanks Rod, really appreciated
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 08:33:36 am »
Hi Lee,

I was at the airfield yesterday sorting out the PAW audio  to inject into the radio aux input, to get the levels right (I needed to add a LM386 audio amp to the output stage of the the mixer I'd constructed, and this meant getting 12v power feed to the unit).

All now fine and dandy while flying the circuit, receiving the Shobdon Tower and simultaneously receiving mode S alerts and EasyVFR airspace alerts. Should all conspire to keep me awake. At least having individual vol. controls I can easily turn down audio feeds if necessary.

One thing I noticed on my second (last) circuit, as there were CBs moving in, was that I was now receiving audible "Traffic alerts" WITHOUT any mode S banner being displayed on my tablet. Up until then, the audible alerts had given rise to visual " banner" alerts also. Not sure what was going on, but I'd then landed and taxied to the hangar. Before shutting down, I watched for alerts from an RV aircraft that was at the 09 Hold (about 900metres from me). Sure enough, as soon as he got airborne I was getting his banner alerts, though these seemed to be missing when I was on final and he was taxying to the hold!

Is this a function of the latest SW 20160530? Just that I assume if PAW detects  traffic and I get an audible alert I should get a visual one also?? I did have the mode S configuration opened out to 30000' at one stage (there was Adsb CAT overhead) but reset this to +- 1000' after landing but was still not getting the banner alert.

Not sure how to download track log as my PC connects to the wireless router via a pair of TP Link power line extenders.

Hoping to get to Wellesbourne Wings and Wheels on the 19th, so might see some PAW traffic hopefully on the way.

Thx,

Chris

AlanG

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Hi Chris
Probably not the reason in this case but worth noting that EVFR does not report alerts within 0.1km of your position.  This is to avoid clutter on the screen when on the apron if there are lots of a/c around you.   When testing the Mode S with Peter we were parked a few yards apart and he could see me on SD but I could not see him then as  he taxied away to do his checks I got him on screen.  I queried this with Lee and he thought that Rob Weijers had added this feature to EVFR.  Rob has since confirmed this to me.
I assume you are using the voice alert system direct from the PAW and not the voice alerts from EVFR which could explain the disparity.  I think the voice alerts are more instant than the info being passed to the nav s/w and sometimes, if it is a very brief alert, i think the alert may have passed before being sent to the screen.

Regards
Alan

Regards
Alan