Author Topic: Mode-S pretty good after all!  (Read 10503 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: Mode-S pretty good after all!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 10:51:32 am »
Hi Alan,

Thx for info concerning EVFR "ground" range feature which I wasn't aware of.

The PAW audio traffic alerts (without an EVFR banner) started when I was downwind to land. These were voice alerts from the PAW only. I did receive a "siren" type alert from EVFR at this time warning me of the ATZ, plus standard text block warning, which was easily cancelled.

As I say, I had the mode S config opened out to 30,000' in PAW, but consider the alert was probably from the RV taxying to the hold. I was just surprised to get the alerts without banner text confirmation in this case, no matter what the source of the alert.

Early days, will have to try to do more flying!

Thx,

Chris

roweda

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 09:31:52 am »
Hi Chris
Probably not the reason in this case but worth noting that EVFR does not report alerts within 0.1km of your position.  This is to avoid clutter on the screen when on the apron if there are lots of a/c around you.   When testing the Mode S with Peter we were parked a few yards apart and he could see me on SD but I could not see him then as  he taxied away to do his checks I got him on screen.  I queried this with Lee and he thought that Rob Weijers had added this feature to EVFR.  Rob has since confirmed this to me.

Alan/Chris - I am sure the EasyVFR filter is 0.1nm (185.2 metres) and yes it is in the EasyVFR code which backs up the test with another user with SD. As you say, it was done for declutter and if you are in flight, you will have known well before you are 0.1nm apart that there is conflicting traffic and hopefully have already done something about it!

AlanG

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 11:13:34 am »
Hi Roweda

You are correct, I've just re-read my email from Rob and it does say 0.1nm.  I got confused with other things in PAW being discussed in km. and I tend to work in sm as thats what my ASI is calibrated in.   ???

Regards
Alan

Deker

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 12:26:48 pm »
I've been familiarising myself with the operation of PAW whilst on the ground.
Took these shots today, a mode S aircraft passed directly above my house.
I think the peak signal would have been slightly higher as I did the screen grab as it passed the other side of my house to where the PAW is positioned.
The wife thinks I've gone bonkers running outside to take photos of aeroplanes !  ;D Maybe I'm turning into a spotter :-[

Keithvinning

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 05:14:15 pm »
Hi Deker

Yes it gets you like that doesn't it. Keep up the good work and taking the tablets

Keith

Deker

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 05:49:36 pm »
Hi Deker
Yes it gets you like that doesn't it. Keep up the good work and taking the tablets
Keith

Hi Keith,
I didn't know about the having to take the tablets ;)
I think I'll have to skive a day off work next week and go flying will sort out my 'problem'
ATB
Deker.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:51:10 pm by Deker »