Author Topic: When willl the PAW be ready?  (Read 55437 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: When willl the PAW be ready?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »
Hi Lee,

Sorry if I'm so obtuse, but what does FCS mean, as it applies to your announcement today?
Finalised Complete Software??

Thx,

Chris

Aargh, just sussed it. First Customer Shipment!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:16:35 pm by Moffrestorer »

Admin

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
Hi Chris,

Sorry if I'm so obtuse, but what does FCS mean, as it applies to your announcement today?
Finalised Complete Software??

Doh ?!?
Apologies, its a software industry term, it means "First Commercial Shipment"
This is the period following the Alpha/Beta testing periods

Thx
Lee

nique

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 04:23:17 pm »
Na - it's not my intention to be seen from an airliner in the short final  ::) But you are right and the problems with these airport-flyers is growing. I prepare myself (and some other professionals in Switzerland) for the next step. And I can imagine, that ADSB could be a step until radar-sensors for 2-3km are available for small UAVs.

I know the development team have this on their 'research list'' but with the workload of trying to get PAW ready for release to the public, this is presumably down the list a fair bit.
Meantime search 'drone' on the forum and you will get an idea of what has been said to date.

Thanks - I did:  @Lee : Whats with the drone project? Any help required?

Admin

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
Hi Nique,

Let me contact you directly regarding our thoughts on Drones
Thx
Lee

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:05 pm »
An annnouncement by Lee today,(including the "FCS" reference? Nothing has been seen here.

Bill

Keithvinning

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 11:45:03 pm »
Bill
This is a reference to the post that Lee put on today in Latest News on this Forum

Keith

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2016, 02:01:18 am »
Ah, thanks Keith. I must make a point of checking those frequently.

Bill

exfirepro

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 11:29:11 pm »
Bill,

Now would be a good time to check... See:-

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,365.msg4944.html#msg4944

Very impressive by the way (I already run a Pi2B). Just waiting for the Bridge now!

Peter
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:30:56 pm by exfirepro »

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:57 am »
Thanks Peter. I have now changed my bookmark to point to the Home page. It was previously taking me straight to the General Discussion page  :(

As you say, impressive and a good price for the complete bundle, although the exchange rate is less than favourable at this end. Like you though, I have already invested in the other components and now await just the bridges. I'm currently using the PiB+ but will now deploy a couple of my Pi 2B to the task.

Bill

exfirepro

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2016, 12:51:23 am »
Hi Bill,

Fortunately I took the plunge a few months back and tried PAW on impulse on a couple of Pi 2B units, with very positive results. This meant I was able to see the new functionality right away as soon as I loaded the new software. As I say, the functionality is very impressive and the audio alerts (recorded by Lee's Daughter) are clear and effective. We (the engineering group) are still working on refining the trigger levels for the audio alerts, which I personally think are still just a bit too low - resulting in alerts for aircraft that don't present a significant risk, but otherwise I have now got used to the new audio system and am comfortable to rely on it.

Keep watching!!

Regards
Peter

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 04:35:01 am »
All sounds good, Peter. It's raining here again today, so hopefully I can find the time later this afternoon to set up my one known good 4Gb SD card and then see if I can get my Pi2Bs running - but hang on a second. They will have different MACs from the piB+s. How do we migrate from the old platform to the new using an existing licence?

Bill

GarethHorne

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 06:21:08 am »
Read the Latest News post with interest, its amazing the functionality that's been added in a few months since the rally last year.

I updated my licence and software a couple of days ago. Since I've got a spare Pi2B handy I've tried swapping it into my existing hardware, which has been sat on my window sill running more or less continually and very reliably all winter (too much non flying weather!). It boots up fine, but as expected it is now showing licence expired on the configuration page, I'm guessing since the new Pi has a different MAC address?  What do I need to do to swap my licence over to it?

Thanks

Gareth

Ian Melville

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 06:54:44 am »
Gareth, has just picked up on a question I have as well.

If I have PiB+ and a Software Licence key obtained prior to 31/4/16(valid to May 2017) and wish to upgrade to a Pi2B, then we will need a new license as well as the CPU. Will it be £15 or £12 to upgrade?

Now this bit confuses me, easily done I know :)
Secondly after listening to customer requirements, through the PilotAware Forum, the latest release of software from PilotAware Ltd will now include two new features. The first of these is the ability to detect and display Mode S transponders that are in the vicinity of your aircraft and the second is an audio-out feed that reports the status of nearby traffic transmitting ADSB or P3i. This can be fed into your intercom or headset on an individual and bespoke basis.
We have shown during the beta trial that the Pi B+ is perfectly capable of handling the original workload of ADSB + P3I. However, by adding Mode S detection, Audio output and the additional interfaces for Dynon, Trig and Funke equipment, the CPU loading has increased. When using the Pi B+ this increase in loading affects the reliability and responsiveness of the core Traffic/GPS data feed to the navigational devices on the tablet etc.

In effect ADSB is also Mode-S (yes I am aware this is not quite true, but close enough in this situation). How can the detection and display of Mode-S be both original spec. and a power hungry add on?  The display of Mode-S(ADSB) equipped traffic was part of the original workload and demonstrated at Flyer Live show. Did you mean the detection and display of Mode-A/C?

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2016, 07:11:49 am »
Ian makes three of us now wondering how we upgrade our Raspberry Pi, in terms of licence migration, so as to take advantage of the new features.

Bill

exfirepro

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:57 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm only guessing, but obviously the beta licence is specific to the MAC address, so probably not migrateable (is that a word?). As Keith says in his News post, the B+ units still run with original ADSB functionality and as the whole ethos of see, be seen and avoid relies on the P3i Bridge part, new licences are being sold (once the shop opens - hopefully soon!!) with either full kits or Bridges. In the meantime, I see Lee has provided a link on the Licensing and Downloads page for a 28 Day Demo Licence. I haven't tried it, but this might be the answer to getting your Pi2s going until Bridges are released. Worth a try and please post to let the rest of us know if it works (or not).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:43:03 am by exfirepro »