Author Topic: When willl the PAW be ready?  (Read 55134 times)

julianwebb

When willl the PAW be ready?
« on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:36 pm »
Hi Lee,

I got the following email from the BMAA to say the process to enable ADS-B on my TRT800H was via a PAW. Seems a very strange process but hey I'm planning to buy one anyway just wondering when they will be available?

This was the email I got from the BMAA and I think the LAA have the same process:-

At the moment we are accepting applications for this (ADS-B) using the standard modification application form, and once received we are then completing an short inspection schedule to be signed by a BMAA inspector, together with verification of the ADSB out settings using a screen shot from a Pilotaware. There is currently no charge for this, provided both the Transponder and the GPS are already approved.

We will be publishing a standard minor modification application for this shortly.

Regards

Julian

Paul_Sengupta

Re: When willl the PAW be ready?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:14:38 am »
For an ADS-B only version, without the RF module, which is what you need for verifying your transponder, you can make one now if you want. You'll need to buy the bits yourself though. See the known good hardware.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:14:06 am »
Hi Julian,

I spoke to the BMAA Tech Office about their 'Non-certified ADSB out' modification approval procedure a couple of weeks ago as I'm still trying to get my own ADSB- Out setup formally approved. They are still working up the procedure and paperwork, hence the suggestion to use a 'standard mod application form' meantime until they get a 'standard minor mod' finalised.

To support work previously done by Steve Hutt (with his FASVIG hat on), I confirmed how easy it is to provide a screen grab from the PAW traffic log to show SDA and SIL = 0, (which we currently need to be able to prove) providing of course that your transponder can be correctly configured to these settings. Rob M seemed suitably impressed at how easy this is, though it does of course require access to someone local with an operational ADSB in PAW - preferably when your Inspector is present so (s)/he can see the result for her/himself - (though this wasn't actually stated). The 'Testing' PAW doesn't even need to be in an aircraft. I showed screen grabs to my own local inspector taken from a PAW on the ground and he was also impressed at how easy it is to obtain the necessary proof of SIL and SDA and is up for confirming local mods.

Rob M did ask if I would be prepared to assist with any local (South Scotland) applications and I said I would be pleased to help get things moving (and in doing so prove PAW's effectiveness in this role). Hopefully the BMAA will get the standard minor mod sorted shortly so we can all move forward in a more simple fashion.

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:59:18 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:57:18 pm »
Julian, where are you based? Any number of us with PAWs could provide you with the relevant screenshot.

daveb

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:28 am »
Hi Guys

It's all gone a bit quiet so I guess you're all working very hard, but any update on progress of the finished unit?

Regards

Dave

DaveStyles

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
Hi Dave

We understand your eagerness... we are too!

Nearly there

Testing done

Good results

Manufacturing volume now

Weeks not months

Exciting

David Styles
PilotAware Team

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:14:59 pm by DaveStyles »

DaveStyles

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:40 am »

Aerial

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:35:32 pm »
Great news! Good things are always worth waiting for so "well done" to the team!

FERRYAIR

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:04:08 pm »
So what does this mean to any of us who have a PAW unit that is PRE this next release of Electronic Magic ?

Will the old version still work?

Interestingly you say " Some of us minions, which includes a few chartered engineers, an airline
pilot or two, an LAA inspector, a flying instructor, a genius and and a
muppet, have been sworn to secrecy regarding the excellent test results
that we all recently saw, despite dodging the poor weather over the past 3
months, at Hinton in the Hedges and Long Marston. "

Who is the Muppet ?        I just placed a bet with William Hill on it being Harry  8)   I hope it is because I have put ' Liberia's deficit' on it  ;D

Deker

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:16:06 pm »
Oooooh, wonder what.....
"we will let you know in the next few days, regarding the increased functionality of PilotAware "
will be?  8)
deker

Keithvinning

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:20 pm »
Hi Ferry air

Will the old version still work?

Yes but you will need the new Bridge if you want to see anything other than ADSB.

If you built a PAW before the state of the nation address where we told you not to buy any more wireless things units then Aviation Hardware and Technology who will be selling the hardware will be offering a special price if you return your wireless things units so that you are not out of pocket. Generous of them eh?

If you built a PAW after this date (so its currently ADSB only) then you will need a new Bridge and licence to pick up the P3i signals.

The wireless things radio will not work with the new one as its wasn't up to the job and works on a slightly different frequency within the chosen band.

I hope that this is clear and answers your question :D

Keith Vinning
PilotAware Team
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:32:28 pm by Keithvinning »

AlanG

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »
Hi Keith

I have the full spec PAW with the old Wireless-things Tx/Rx (which I added just after the SON Address so fully expect to pay for a new bridge) but assumed that the licence I had would still work until expiry date on the home screen.  Will the bridge only item be available at the same time as the full units you are referring to or am I going to have a longer wait for that.

Regards
Alan

Keithvinning

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »
Hi Alan

Bridges will be available at the same time

Keith Vinning
PilotAware Team

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:36 pm »
I have been holding off applying for licences for my 2 builds until the future of the bridge became clearer, although I have 2 of the Wirelessthings devices that I bought just immediately before the "hold-off" advice was issued. These will now be redundant. Now with this exciting news, and seeing that I have only some 24 hours to apply for the licences for my build, I can't see how to apply. The old Licence ..(deprecated) thread has vanished from the forum and I can't find the replacement mechanism. Not panicking yrt but  ..."Help"!

Bill

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 12:22:23 am »
Hi Bill,

This is the link you need http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,156.0.html.

It can also be found under 'Beta Licences' from the 'Home' screen.

Best regards

Peter R