Author Topic: FTDI cable  (Read 6637 times)

exfirepro

Re: FTDI cable
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 06:39:32 pm »
Correct Paul - You after my job? The pay’s rubbish BTW!

Clive, as per Paul’s post, you can put the dongles wherever they fit - the original layout was adopted because they all fit (you can’t for example fit the SDR and GPS side by side due to their width.

All ports should be reconfigured to Auto - 4800, except the one for your FTDI cable, whichever you use, with reference to the Port Numbering referred to earlier.

Please let us know that it works OK.

Regards

Peter
(And Thanks Paul)

CliveJ

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 08:29:25 am »
Right, thanks for the feedback.
I actually reverted to the standard set up and followed the suggestions below apart from the FID went in 1 which is allocated Funke 4800.
Ground test screenshots attached and below. Weather was awful last night so only airliners up.

Weather looks to be clearing so hope to fly later and see if I show up on the OGN and FR24 back with ADSB data source.

thanks all, Regards, Clive

CliveJ

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 08:30:31 am »
Other screenshots from last night:

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 08:59:04 am »
Morning Clive,

Looks good, the only ‘suggestion’ I’d make is that ‘Ultra Short Range’ was designed specifically to deal with high power transponders. If you aren’t operating out of a commercial airport, I would advise increasing your Mode C/S Range setting to ‘Short Range’ otherwise most GA will be VERY close before you are told about them.

Best Regards

Peter

CliveJ

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 05:53:28 pm »
Thanks, I'll adjust the range.

Went for a flight earlier and everything is working OK, PAW signal is there and also showing up as ADSB.

The only thing that happened was the wifi dropped out a couple of times which doesn't usually happen, well not before the unit went under the panel, it's rather surrounded by panels and brackets so maybe I'll up the wifi power?

Anyhow all good, I've just E mailed Tanya at Funke to see what's happening about the update. Will report back when I hear from her.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll get on with seeing how well the external aerials work on the next few flights. Has to be said, thus far some contacts appear and disappear randomly so maybe the opening up of the range as mentioned below may help that.

Thanks and Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 06:45:34 pm »
Thanks, I'll adjust the range.

Went for a flight earlier and everything is working OK, PAW signal is there and also showing up as ADSB.

The only thing that happened was the wifi dropped out a couple of times which doesn't usually happen, well not before the unit went under the panel, it's rather surrounded by panels and brackets so maybe I'll up the wifi power?

Clive,

If you decide to adjust WiFi, do so carefully in small steps and flight test after each change. There have been cases where too strong a WiFi signal was as bad as too weak.

Depending on what type of tablet you’re using, it would also be worth setting ‘PilotAware Connectivity’ in PAW Configure to whatever protocol you actually use in your EFB - e.g. ‘PilotAware UDP’ at both ends, rather than ‘Auto’.

Regards

Peter

CliveJ

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 07:23:04 pm »
Wifi was at 50mw, I use an android pad and an iPhone. They both have dropped out, singly and together.
Not a big deal but irritating as it messes the logs up.

BTW I have an Anker bullit and it's been working fine ever since I changed to it several years ago.

Thanks again for the suggestions, Regards, Clive
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:27:55 pm by CliveJ »

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 09:51:56 am »
Clive,

When you say ‘I have an Anker bullit and it’s been working fine ever since I changed to it several years ago’,- can you be more precise as to the actual model, or can you post a link, please, to help with my battery survey.

Best Regards

Peter

CliveJ

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 02:34:05 pm »
PAW charger/power supply, it must be a few years since I bought it so the current ones are different.

Unfortunately I can't find the original order but surfing it looks like an Anker Car Charger PowerDrive 2 Elite.

Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 02:41:16 pm »
Clive,

I should have realised that’s what you meant, but had a ‘brain fade’ and thought you were referring to a specific model of powerbank - I have already taken a bit of ribbing for that oversight!

Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: I have added info re these ANKER 12 volt to USB adaptors in the ‘Power Sources and Powerbanks‘ thread.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:47:48 pm by exfirepro »