Author Topic: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware  (Read 29949 times)

GrahamB

Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:52 pm »
Not sure if I just missed a press release or two or if the info below is actually news.

Flying back to Conington from Nottingham this afternoon we noticed several aircraft plots on our Sky Demon screens (via Pilot Aware) that were using the call sign UP-OGN and giving relative heights, locations and direction of flight. Although at the time we were a bit mystified by the call signs a few mins on Google would suggest that these were gliders using some sort of system possibly originating from the Open Glider Network.

Has anyone else seen these and/or have any more info about the contacts showing as UP-OGN. If indeed they were gliders then that is great news as we were not convinced about installing a FLARM mouse so would not have been aware of their presence. On the down side, despite the clues from the SD plots as to where to look we only saw one glider of the six or seven indicated. Before anyone says anything about not favouring looking at screens inside rather than the world out side, there were two of us so we could do both!

Any other info gratefully received.

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:12:41 am »
I noticed one on Monday.

I suspect if you wait for a couple of weeks, all will become clear.  ;D

GrahamB

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:14:11 am »
From that reply someone knows more than he is telling..... come on spill.

buzz53

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:56:31 am »
If, as appears to be the case, this involves taking Flarm-derived data from the OGN network and using groundstations to upload it to Pilotaware. is this not going to cause toys to be throw out of the pram in a big way? My understanding is that an uneasy peace exists between Flarm and OGN on the basis that using Flarm data for display on the ground is sort-of OK on the basis that it doesn't affect Flarm's business, but using it in the air for collision avoidance seems another matter altogether.

Otherwise, a neat idea if it doesn't overload the RF side of things (as recently mooted in a Flarm context) and, as always,  provided no bright spark starts spoofing.

Alan

Deker

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
I've just trawled through my track logs and found UP-OGN too. 8)
Was on 2-April-17 and logged routing south from Sherbern in Elmet.

Ooooh, so what's it all about :o

ATB
Deker

GarethHorne

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »
lots and lots of UP-OGN on the way back from Sywell today...

look forward to hearing about this  :)

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:50:12 am »
Curious symbols that SD use. This is EasyVFR screenshot. Managed to get a visual on the lead glider as he was turning head-on. Others obscured in the mist.

PAW was faultless on the the way to Sywell. Unfortunately on the return leg to Shobdon, the WiFi dropped out on a number of occasions and had to do power off/on resets to get it back. Did a re-boot when back on the ground. Not sure what was going on, faulty WiFi dongle or overheating behind panel.

Edited: to say WiFi running at 100mW, so perhaps I need to try reducing it?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:59:12 am by Moffrestorer »

Deker

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
From that reply someone knows more than he is telling..... come on spill.

I wonder when the tin of UP-OGN beans will be spilt ?
Deker

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:47 am »
Now. It was announced at the Popham show this weekend. I'm sure the guys will post more as and when they've got home and logged on!

Welsh Pilot

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
Tell us more.....just a brief idea what it's about!

Deker

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:30 am »
Dunno why no one has come back about this, I guess they're going to write something in the announcement bit of the site or something.

Anyway, it's like this. At certain sites there will be a combined OGN/PilotAware station. Any Flarm targets received on the OGN will be rebroadcast on the PilotAware, and be visible to anyone within range of the ground station.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:08 am »
Hi All,

I also don't want to tread on others toes, but as most of you have already worked out what is going on and all was revealed on the stand at Popham at the weekend, I just want to make a couple of quick but very important points to help 'clarify' the situation before the rumours start to get out of hand.

Glider and other FLARM/OGN aircraft movements and positions are already in the public domain through OGN and other public apps and websites. The clever part of this collaboration, is that glider (or other FLARM/OGN aircraft) positions are only broadcast when a PilotAware equipped aircraft is detected in range of a gliding site and is thus a potential threat to their aircraft. This of course helps us to comply with our responsibility under the ANO to see and give way to gliders, so effectively increasing the Flarm Users' safety (as well as ours), without either of us having to fit the other's equipment. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Remember, though that the gliders won't 'see' us electronically and its still up to us to avoid them.

The important point is that we are simply (re)broadcasting data which is already in the public domain, but doing so in a way which is in the best interests of Flarm's own Users.

The system is currently only active around the South Midlands, but I saw loads of UP-OGN showing during my transit through the area down to Popham from Scotland on Friday and not only gliders - (think RAF training fleet).

If (as I do) you want to 'see' FLARM equipped aircraft away from known and active sites, you will still need to equip your aircraft with FLARM, so if anything this should increase FLARM's sales not affect them negatively.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:14:40 am by exfirepro »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:22 am »
Well I think it's an absolutely brilliant collaboration! Well done Lee et al.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 10:07:17 am »
Hi All,

Well the cat kind of crept out of the bag, so we thought we should begin the disclosure at Popham over the weekend.
Keith and Peter worked avidly on Saturday to get a 'pop-up' OGN/PAW Groundstation running, which worked perfectly tracking aircraft in and around Lasham. We even saw OGN tracked MotorGliders and Tugs arriving and departing Popham.
Many thanks to Jan Houlberg at Aviation Insurers - Visicover for providing access to the internet via his mobile 4G router

So lets get the discussion ball rolling  :)

Initial Announcement
Open Glider Network and PilotAware

Many thanks
PilotAware Team