Author Topic: Connecting Trig21 to PAW  (Read 6758 times)

Sapper732

Connecting Trig21 to PAW
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »
Hi, can anyone please advise me about how to connect and configure the PAW to my trig21. I have attempted to connect the RS232 cable using the orange and black wires, when connected I have flashing lights at the USB end. I have the PAW Usb set to auto. The trig is set up with NMEA with a speed rate of 4800, but trig shows a warning of no ADS B. I have 4 green boxes and 7/8 satellites showing.
Many thanks.
Chris

Ian Melville

Re: Connecting Trig21 to PAW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 08:28:12 pm »
You don't say which cable you are using, but the FTDI cable orange should be connected to the transponderds Rx pin. It is also reccomended to connect the yellow To the Tx pin of the transponer for future use.

USB port also needs to be set to 'Transponder Trig' with a baud rate that matches your transponders.

Sapper732

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
Hi, many thanks for your response I will sort out the connections and the baud rate and should be up and running.
Cheers Chris.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:02:42 pm »
Hi Chris,

I personally use a TT21 for ADSB Out, but mine was set up before I got involved with PilotAware and uses a different GPS driver. I have, however, helped a couple of others set up TT21s driven by PAW. It is quite easy once you get the right wires in the right places in the Trig Connectors.

One point I did notice is that you say 'I have the PAW Usb set to auto.' That is incorrect. You need to determine which port you have the USB/RS232 lead connected to and set that Port in the PAW [Configure] Screen to 'Transponder Trig'.

Looking at the PAW unit with the Ethernet Port on the Left, the USB Ports are numbered - top left (Port 1), bottom left (Port 2), top right (Port 3), bottom right (Port 4), NOT as per the PAW 'Quick Start' assembly leaflet, which is only designed to assist with plugging the unit together initially.

You also need to set up your TT21 as per the Trig Manual - if you have any problems come back and I will look mine up and 'talk' you through it.

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:55 am »
Hi Chris,

Do you have the latest firmware for the Trig TT21? It needs to be upgraded if your Trig is a few years old.
Although I don't yet have PAW I have ADS-B out using a separate GPS mouse and it works fine.

On my Trig TT21 it displays the Lat/Long of the GPS device. Not sure if that is what you see and mean by "a warning of no ADS-B".
Tony

Richard

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:24:25 pm »
You can use another pilotaware to test your ADSB output.  You will see your aircraft in the traffic page if all is well.
Richard.
Europa XS

Sapper732

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »
Hi  Guys,
It's very much appreciated the advice you've given and has definitely helped with a better understanding with what's required. I'll get back to you with the results.
Chris

Moffrestorer

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:08:22 am »
There have been other threads concerning connecting PAW to Trig and other transponders. Not sure of Lee's intentions in creating the "Eco"threads on home page, but assume someone will distill accumulated knowledge into these new threads to avoid repetition?

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:09:31 am »
I am not sure if they are 'work in progress' or Lee is expecting those with working set ups to post the tech details on there.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:23 am »
The EcoSystem threads are locked, so readonly.
I plan to put instructions into these threads regarding 3rd Party integrations, in particular, one of the PAW Users is developing a bespoke display for Android and iOS, we will be listing this under EcoSystem

One other thought I have had is to rationalise the Input/Output data messages
Initially I setup the output NMEA messages to be tailored for each transponder, they seemed to list different sentences they were interested in. In fact if you connect a GPS directly, then you get what you are given, and I guess the transponder will discard messages it is not interested in receiving.
So I am thinking we could simplify the RS232 to be a compbination of 4 categories

GPS(In)
GPS(Out)
Traffic(In)
Traffic(Out)

This should cover all eventualites, the external device will simply ignore sentences which it has no interest.
This is of course assuming the only Traffic is Flarm, but GDL90 is another option, so maybe this needs further categorisation.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:02:38 pm by Admin »

Sapper732

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »
Hi Guys, changed the usb to trig transponder configuration and it did the trick, so once again thanks for advice.
Cheers chris

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 09:36:16 pm »
Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you have got it working.

Regards

Peter