Author Topic: GPS acquisition fail - due high pressure?  (Read 3052 times)

DavidC

GPS acquisition fail - due high pressure?
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:01:13 pm »
Strange scenario today. I've found the PAW can take some time to acquire GPS position, especially if I try this at home vs airport (60 miles away). But today I found the GPS would acquire 3D Lock, but this wasn't being reported/accepted by SkyDemon.

I wondered if this was because of the very unusually high pressure today (QNH 1044).

Screenshots of SD and PAW status and config pages attached

Admin

Re: GPS acquisition fail - due high pressure?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »
Hi David,

This looks like a GPS issue & a status reporting bug.
even though the home page is reporting 8 satellites, I notice there are no new messages arriving on the GPS port

USB msgs=263(+0)

the +0, indicates no messages arrived in the last 5 seconds, there should be something like 3 messages per second.

Can I ask where is the unit physically located when you are testing at home ?

Thx
Lee

DavidC

Re: GPS acquisition fail - due high pressure?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »
I typically have it indoors when at home. Generally the GPS dongle can see up to 8 or more satellites, but it can take a while to get it to report a fix.

At the airport I had it outside on the grass for a while (10 mins or more) before taking the screenshots. Then powered off/on again and got a similar result. I just found it strange that the GPS reports OK but SD couldn't get a fix (although did state the number of satellites found to be the same).

I have another similar dongle and will try that one instead next time.