Author Topic: Update of Latest Software  (Read 4761 times)

straightline

Update of Latest Software
« on: December 03, 2016, 02:39:03 pm »
I've tried uploading the latest software using the instructions from the PAW website but with no success. When I first got the hardware I (somehow) managed to see the PAW page with all the details on but I can't remember how I got that (or where I saw it - on my PC or on my iPad). This is what I've done so far...

1 Unplugged the ethernet cable (to the broadband router) from PC and connected the PAW box directly to router via this ethernet cable.   
2 Started the PAW box by plugging the USB cable into my PC USB slot (red light comes on). So PAW now talking to my router.
3 So where do I now type in 192.168.1.1? I can connect my iPad to the PAW box via WiFi (using WiFi dongle...) but when I open Safari on my iPad and type in the 192.168.1.1 nothing happens. If I type 192.168.1.1 on my PC browser of course it cannot find anything because my PC is no longer connected to the internet.

Later that same afternoon: I think I've managed to update the software! After unplugging the ethernet cable from my PAW box, I managed to see the PAW pages on my iPad via the Safari browser. This shows the latest version as 21061124 and under the Updates tab it says No Software Updates available.

If I have got the latest version, it took far too long with lots of trial and error. There must be an easier way!   

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:30:00 pm by straightline »

Richard

Re: Update of Latest Software
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:57:51 pm »
Hi
   I will try to help if I can. OK lets start from the beginning.... First don't plug the USB from you PAW to you PC. This lead is for powering your PAW only and not for data or updates.
  OK, Unplug your PAW from your PC and connect as you would when you go fly with your Ipad. Now open Safari and type in the 192.168.1.1 You should now have the PAW home page. Press the update page button on the top. Now as you have already been connected to your PC, you should have the new version next to the the install now button? If yes click Install and hold off doing anything for 5 mins. If the update is not showing follow the instructions for updating via a USB memory stick as it is a lot easier that way. If you are still having problems, Post on here so we can help you,
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:58:51 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

davidbu99

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »
Hi,

I've just updated to the latest release and switched to using a USB thumb drive instead to perform the update. Its incredibly quick and a very reliable method of upgrading with the benefit of being able to do this without the need to connect the PAW until to an ethernet. If you have the PAW unit partially or permanently fixed to the aircraft this is also the obvious way to go. Instructions at:

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160901-Software-Upgrade-via-memory-stick-1.pdf

I'll be performing all future updates via this method for sure :)

Deker

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
Hi, also the current capacity of a standard USB port fitted to a PC is unlikely to be sufficient to power the Pilot Aware unit.
The lights might be on, but the PAW unit may not boot properly and therefor not initiate the update procedure.

Always use a separate mains adapter or a battery powerbank as per the recommended minimum capacity.

ATB
Deker.

peteD

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:38:34 pm »

If I have got the latest version, it took far too long with lots of trial and error. There must be an easier way!   

Yes there is...... read the pilot aware operating instructions!- page39

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,468.0.html

Suggest you use another LAN cable to your router for the paw....then you can use your PC to connect to paw and update from the interface.....192.168.0.100 works for me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:23:32 pm by peteD »

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:45:10 am »
Guys,

First thing, you can't update the unit by the memory stick method unless your existing software version is at least 20160820 as earlier versions did not include the necessary software. Check your version by connecting to your PilotAware WiFi hotspot from your phone or tablet and type in the URL 192.168.1.1. Laptops or WiFi enabled PCs 'can' also be used to do this but if they are hardwired to your home router this can result in conflict in some cases (technical reason available later if you need to know).

If you have 20160820, use the USB update method as per PAW Operating instructions page 41 here http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160914-Operational-manual.pdf

If you have an earlier version of PilotAware, the quickest and simplest method is to disconnect all dongles from your PAW, connect it direct to your home router using an ethernet cable and use this method http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,465.msg5924.html#msg5924

It works and though much slower than the USB stick method, will bring your unit right up to date.

Note: as Richard/Deker have said above, DO NOT try to connect your PAW directly to your PC using the USB cable, it won't work!!

Regards

Peter