Author Topic: Display filtering  (Read 4101 times)

jollyrog

Display filtering
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:46:29 am »
I think it would be useful if a couple of display filters could be enabled in SkyDemon/other packages.

Filter OUT all aircraft in Class A (maybe also Class B)
Filter IN aircraft from a list that I set, regardless of whether they meet the display criteria or not.

Admin

Re: Display filtering
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:45 am »
Do you mean in addition to the altitude filters ?
I would have thought the altitude filters give you mostly what is needed to remove high altitude CAT from your display ?

Thx
Lee

jollyrog

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:23:43 am »
Yes, I'd like to filter out by airspace class, in addition to the altitude filters.

Flying in the South East, with the LTMA above us at 2,500ft, if I have +/-1,000 as my altitude filter (I actually prefer +/-2,000) I see a lot of stuff above me in the Class A that I will never conflict with. It would be helpful to just eliminate them completely.

As for the second suggestion, I want to see my mates. Useful if we're flying together, but perhaps not very close.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:36 pm »
As for the second suggestion, I want to see my mates. Useful if we're flying together, but perhaps not very close.

In termps of PilotAware/P3I, this is the purpose of the Group-ID field (default PAWGRP)
if you all share the same Group-ID, then your Reg/FlightID is displayed encapsulated by '#', eg

#G-ABCD#

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »
Filter by airspace makes no sense to me.

If you were trundling along just outside little snoddinton class A, and something big, noisy and fast is within the class A, heading to intercept your track, I would want to know about it. ::)

grahambaker

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:32:27 pm »
Whether or not it's a good idea, it seems odd to me that you are asking for a change to SkyDemon software on the PilotAware forum.

You wouldn't ask Samsung to change the shape of the Tupperware boxes you put in your fridge.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:52:51 pm »
Hi Rog,

Not sure what you hope to achieve here. I'm pretty sure Tim over at SD wouldn't be prepared to introduce filtering by airspace classification. I seem to recall he was asked to do something similar some time ago (though for a different reason), but it was generally agreed to be impractical.

Like Ian, I would certainly want to see anything likely to come out of Class A airspace towards me - especially at speed. Much better IMO to use reasonably tight vertical filters, in 'SkyDemon/Navigation Options/Show Within Vertically' to set upper and lower relative altitude limits for 'known position' ADSB / P3i targets and in 'PilotAware/Configure/Mode C/S Separation' for 'bearingless' targets. This will cut out all the high (or low) level stuff. Also if you are operating regularly under or very near Class A Airspace  it might be worth setting your Mode C/S Detect filters to Short Range - or even Ultra Short Range (we specifically designed 'Ultra-Short' for this type of scenario). That will significantly reduce unwanted alerts from CAT which when in 'ground radar mode' and at low level during initial climb out transmits as 'Mode S' before their ADSB becomes fully active. Introducing an 'Airspace-based' filter by the way would be totally ineffective for this traffic, as the position of the target is at this point undefined, so the system would have no way of filtering it. Just remember that using the 'Ultra Short' Mode C/S Range setting will reduce the system sensitivity so you won't get alerts from lower power GA mode C/S transponders as early.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter
(Mode C/S Development Tester)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:28:53 am by exfirepro »