Author Topic: Upgrade 20160708  (Read 6202 times)

GrahamB

Upgrade 20160708
« on: July 09, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »
Hi Folks,  I am currently attempting to upgrade my Classic and all goes well until I press the Check for Upgrades button. It shows that it is connected to network address/updates.cgi - I press the Check button button and Nothing seems to happen. I have the version that was installed on the Classic when shipped so it "should" update automatically.

Is the update server fully operational or have I screwed up somewhere?

Some assistance would be most welcome.

I managed to video the screen after pressing the Check button and it flashes up a message

Checking for updates
/root/servers/check.sh:Error

then goes back to the screen from the Pilot Aware unit.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:21:38 pm by GrahamB »

Admin

Re: Upgrade 20160708
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »
Hi Graham,

What is installed at the moment, 20160530 ?

Can I sugget the following as the best way to do this (I will double check my end does the same on this release)

Power off PilotAware
disconnect all dongles - WiFi, ADS-B, GPS
connect an RJ45 to your home router and PilotAware
boot up PilotAware
leave for 20 mins
Power off PilotAware
disconnect from router
connect all dongles - WiFi, ADS-B, GPS
Power up PilotAware

Login using iPad/aPad to see if updates are available

Thx
Lee

EricC

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:49:47 pm »
My upgrade worked first time using the method described by Lee.

GrahamB

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:32:14 pm »
Hi Lee,

My unit has 201606511 as originally supplied when I purchased the Classic, I haven't tinkered honest!

When we work together Jeremy Curtis insists on applying "the Broom Test" on all equipment. It only has to be in close proximity to me, I don't even have to touch it, and previously unseen "features" will appear.

Regards
Graham

PS. Trying again, can confirm everything unplugged and will just sit and wait.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:17 pm »
Hi Graham

That explains the issue, the update facility was introduced in 20160530.
Which means it will need a manual install for this instance, are you familiar how to do that ?

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »
When we work together Jeremy Curtis insists on applying "the Broom Test" on all equipment. It only has to be in close proximity to me, I don't even have to touch it, and previously unseen "features" will appear.

I don't know how he does it, bit it was a phenomena used to great effect during testing all manor of things.

Hi Graham

That explains the issue, the update facility was introduced in 20160530.
Which means it will need a manual install for this instance, are you familiar how to do that ?

Thx
Lee

If he gets problems I'll sort him out...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

GrahamB

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 09:34:30 pm »
In that case the Broom effect has struck again.

I left it connected for quite a while and the Install button suddenly became active. I pressed it and after much flashing of lights etc and a reboot the box is reporting Vers 20160708. No idea what I did or why it worked but have decided to just be grateful. :D

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 07:53:23 am »
Hi Graham,

Well done! Whatever the Broom effect may be it seems to have had a positive result on this occasion!

Judging by some of the loops I have been through myself over the last few weeks, might need to research it as the 'Broom-Robertson' effect. Welcome to the club.

Regards

Peter R

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:20 pm »
Hi Lee,

I updated to 20160708, on Saturday having been on 20160530 previously.

Tried auto updating  as outlined in the PAW Operations Manual using Option 1 (connect PAW unit to router, power up PAW and wait 20 mins before powering down). I tried this procedure twice but each time upon subsequently powering up PAW and logging into hot-spot via iPad noted that the software version was unchanged from 20160530.

So slight confusion here for me - When connected to the router will PAW automatically check for updates and download the new files, without having first pressed the Check for Updates button?

I tried the procedure once again, this time with the Wifi dongle disconnected. Upon re-checking, I'm still on 20160530 but noted this time that it said 20160708 was available! I pressed to download and went through the procedure again, this time with success  :)

Can you please confirm that when using download option 1 ( and having first disconnected all dongles, as you suggest in your previous post in this thread), the likely result will be notification that an update is/isn't available, and you then have to select to download the update, and repeat the procedure a second time for the update to actually download?

NB. I Sussed out that I needed to change EasyVFR WiFly PIN code to 6002 (in Flarm settings), to restore traffic to the Nav screen.

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »
Hi Chris

The download will happen in the background,
but the go-ahead to install is manual by pressing the install button on the updates page.

The reason for removing the dongle is to avoid an IP clash if your home router is using

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50:07 pm »
Thanks Lee,

Just to recap to test my understanding: So I just need to connect my PAW to the router a single time during which download will take place. Then once logged back in via iPad, the update should be notified as available and all I need to do is press the Install button?

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:01:44 pm »
Hi Chris,

That's basically correct.

Hi Lee,

I updated to 20160708, on Saturday having been on 20160530 previously.

Tried auto updating  as outlined in the PAW Operations Manual using Option 1 (connect PAW unit to router, power up PAW and wait 20 mins before powering down). I tried this procedure twice but each time upon subsequently powering up PAW and logging into hot-spot via iPad noted that the software version was unchanged from 20160530.

At this point in the procedure, this is correct! Your unit will have downloaded the new software, but you haven't yet started the 'Install' part of the procedure yet, so the home page will still quite correctly show the previous version.

So slight confusion here for me - When connected to the router will PAW automatically check for updates and download the new files, without having first pressed the Check for Updates button?

Yes it will check and download without pressing the 'Check for Updates' button, that's why it's called  'Auto-update'. DO NOT click the 'Check for Updates' button at this stage, just let your system do this itself. 

I tried the procedure once again, this time with the Wifi dongle disconnected. Upon re-checking, I'm still on 20160530 but noted this time that it said 20160708 was available! I pressed to download and went through the procedure again, this time with success  :)

Can you please confirm that when using download option 1 ( and having first disconnected all dongles, as you suggest in your previous post in this thread), the likely result will be notification that an update is/isn't available, and you then have to select to download the update, and repeat the procedure a second time for the update to actually download?

Once you have carried out the 'power off', 'connect to router via ethernet', 'power on and wait 20 minutes', your unit will have checked for and downloaded any update onto the microSD card. After 'powering down and disconnecting from your router, 'you simply need to reconnect your dongles, P3i antenna, etc. power up again and connect your tablet, then when you go to the (Updates) tab and click 'Check for Updates', you will see that the new update is available, simply click on install and wait (have a coffee or whatever), while it updates for you. You do NOT need to go through the update procedure twice.

Regards

Peter