Author Topic: Track File : Post Processor : New Version (0.2)  (Read 28818 times)

DaveStyles

Track File : Post Processor : New Version (0.2)
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »
Hi all,..

We now have a nice GUI Post Processor for the track files.

It's a runnable jar file, so you can just copy it to your machine and double click on it like an executable.

What it tells you :

It looks at the returns from each aircraft you see, and it maps the FURTHEST contact that you have with that aircraft on each heading you see it.

If an aircraft flew in a circle around you, and then towards you, what you would see on the GUI would be the hit that was the FURTHEST from you on each heading.

I want to make it clear that what it does not do is show you a track of other aircraft, but of course, if one flies past you to one side, then this may appear as a track, as it will only fly through each heading once !

Remember, it will show the furthest hit on each bearing, but it only has a resolution of 1 degree, so, out a 20nm, those hits may look a little scattered, rather than a smooth line.

Download from here...

PilotAware Track File Post Processor

This is a first version and I am sure will be updated. Lee is already adding extra features to the track files that we can take advantage of in post processing.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:49:48 pm by DaveStyles »

JCurtis

Re: Track File : Post Processor
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »
Thanks for that.
It confirms my maths is OK, furthest seen 23Km (12.4nm) and closest was 2Km (1nm).
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:57:22 pm »
Hi Dave

How long should this take to load a file, it's been sitting at "loading" for about 10 mins now.
Using on windows 7 pc with previously downloaded .trk files in same folder.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »
Hi Dave

How long should this take to load a file, it's been sitting at "loading" for about 10 mins now.
Using on windows 7 pc with previously downloaded .trk files in same folder.

Regards
Alan

How big is the trk file Alan ?
It does seem a little slow at large files, but it does get there ...

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
Hi Lee

It was on a 5.3MB file for about 20 mins.  After your response I killed it to try a 354KB file and it has been sitting for about 10 mins again on that.

I've just checked the file ext as they have previously been opened with Notepad but it is still showing .trk

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »
Over to Dave then I'm afraid  :o

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
For reference I opened a 53Mb track file with it in around 6 seconds, using a MacBook Pro.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

brinzlee

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:24 pm »
20 seconds for me for a 6.15mb file using Windows 7

JCurtis

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 06:36:05 pm »
Wow, had to install Java on my Windows 8 {virtual} machine but the same 53mb file took 1m 53s to open compared to 6 seconds on the Mac.  Odd as the VM I use every day for software that is only available on the Windows platform.

AlanG

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »
Mmmm

Still sitting at loading well over and hour later after I went away to have my evening meal and that's on a tiny file.
I must be missing something.   :-\

Alan

Kevin W

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »
Firstly, Dave, Great piece of work, thank you, allows so much visibility of the data we have in the track files.

Some enhancement thoughts:
 - showing some stats about the file loaded, file name, start time, end time, etc
 - showing some more stats about each aircraft as clicked on - 1st point time, last point time.
 - showing some info about altitude of each point - colours?
 - option to show all points - very useful to see more about when the aircraft *stops* being seen.

It is interesting to think about interpreting the data - it is more about what data *can't* you receive, the idea of trying to create a 'polar' plot is great, but has its limits when trying to think about the relative blind spots of a moving aircraft vs a base station.

Alan - Does the file your loading have any aircraft points in it?  I have one 50Mb file that has no aircraft in it (ADSB antenna was not connected and it was on the ground) and I didn't realise it had actually loaded, as it has nothing to show.

An interesting piece of data I found in one of my track files:

$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep '#G-BSRI#' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep '#GBSRI#' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep 'G-BSRI' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep 'GBSRI' | wc -l

I doubt BSRI really has 2 transponders and 2 PAW's, with G-BSRI and GBSRI configured respectivley.  A bug somewhere?

Cheers
Kev
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:10:41 pm by Kevin W »

JCurtis

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »
I saw something similar. The aircraft had ADSB/Mode S ES out and I was picking up that signal before the PilotAware one, then as it got further away dropped back to the stronger ADS-B one. So both appeared in the log.

Admin

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 08:55:05 pm »
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep '#G-BSRI#' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep '#GBSRI#' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep 'G-BSRI' | wc -l
$ cat 2016-07-02_10-23.trk | grep BSRI | grep 'GBSRI' | wc -l

I doubt BSRI really has 2 transponders and 2 PAW's, with G-BSRI and GBSRI configured respectivley.  A bug somewhere?

Showing your Linux prowess now Kev  ;)

OK, What does this mean, firstly I presume your PAW is set to alternate between FlightID and REG
that explains the alternating G-BSRI (Reg) and GBSRI (Mode-S FlightID) - a flight ID cannot have the character '-'
the '#' brackets, only appear after PAW has received un-interrupted set of frame based packets.
If you remove the 'wc -l', you would see that all of these hits should have the same ICAO code.

Remember that important information is sent in a single P3I packet - less important is framed over a sequence,
so if there is a break in the sequence, the checksums fail. At the moment the only data sent as part of the frame
sequence is the GroupID

so once PAW has 'learnt' that G-BSRI is part of your group, it remembers that information until powered down.

Make sense ?

Thx
Lee

Kevin W

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:17 pm »
Wow, that needs a clear head to understand.

In the mean time I will write 50 lines of "I must not assume I understand"! :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Cheers
Kev

AlanG

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 12:07:03 am »
OK, next question for whoever feel up to it.
I've just managed to open the 25Mb track file for the day I drove from Edinburgh to Harrogate with PAW running in the car.  It reports a Mode S only aircraft, which I am familiar with, and later plotted our relevant positions using a combination of the track file with a text editor and FR24 at the various alert levels I received, but the track file says:-  "closest 987 m & furthest 1082 m, mainly south, above and west of your position".  Where does this info come from on a bearingless Mode S contact. it bears no resemblance to my plotted calculations.   Also received a Mode S alert from:- "TYPHOO45",  Closest 69 m Furthest 1067 m, mainly south, level and west of your position.  Another interesting contact is "PIRATE15"  he was 282 m & 2686 m.  These of course are all meters.
This was as i was passing the plethora of RAF stations around N Yorkshire.
Non of these showed any plots in the square box.

Any clues guys?

Alan