Author Topic: DIY Upgrade to Rosetta  (Read 3282 times)

fjj

DIY Upgrade to Rosetta
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:36:09 pm »
I see the DIY upgrade kit is now available to purchase - great!

Two questions...  Can I retain my existing bridge until I have upgraded the Rosetta unit?  Happy to pay a deposit, I just don't want to be without PAW for a while, whilst the old bridge is tested and refurbished!

Also, I currently have the Farnell cable wired to my transponder, does Rosetta have a USB port for connection to that, or do I need a new type of transponder interface cable?

Thanks,
Fraser

Keithvinning

Re: DIY Upgrade to Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:49:34 pm »
Hi Fraser
The current kits are DIY only so the speed at which you do it will be in your hands. We will post the kits out on the same day as we receive your bridge so minimum time delay. You wont have to wait for a refurb in any way just a quick test at our end.
Fast turn round.
Regarding the cable you will be reusing your existing Pi2 so this will be the same as is now.
By the way it sounds like you have a permanent install? Do you have external antennas and external GPS currently?

Regards

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:30:05 pm »
If you have a permanent install, the upgrade isn't really necessary...it just puts everything in a neater package. You can still add another SDR dongle (low power ones preferred) to add in weather functionality if you have a suitable USB hub - I'm guessing you don't have any spare USB sockets. An upgrade to a Pi 3 (not 3+ currently) would mean you could use the on-board Wifi and free up a port.

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:53:52 pm »
Paul

Absolutely correct. The classic as a permanent install is perfectly good. We are soon to market some permanent installation kits for various genre of aircraft, metal plastic, fabric, ground plane no ground plane, internal antennas external antennas etc.

A permanent or semi permanent installation improves the performance no end. As you know  :-*

Keith

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:53:57 pm »
Does that mean I can buy a stratux case, Pi 3 & 2 low power SDRs and I've effectively got a Rosetta? I've just missed out on contributing to greater OGN-R (and therefore FLARM) visibility and coverage?

I think I'll go for the Rosetta, I wouldn't like there to be a version I missed out on :-D

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:22:12 pm »
Neil

There is still lots of time to contribute to the OGN-R. Its going to get even more exciting

Keith

neilmurg

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »
There is still lots of time to contribute to the OGN-R. Its going to get even more exciting
Ooo, that sounds interesting. I had thought last year that PAw could become sidelined by 'developments', but the case for PAw now seems stronger than ever.
I really hope you do get the commercial rewards your efforts deserve, a company driven by the desire to do good things at a reasonable cost? Brilliant, I'll be ECing you...

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:40:30 am »
Thats interesting

I had thought last year that PAw could become sidelined by 'developments',
What developments are you referring to?