Author Topic: Downloading New Software Releases;  (Read 15109 times)

Richard

Re: Downloading New Software Releases;
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:33 pm »
Thank you gents.. I will try in the morning.....

Now that works.. Ok all updated now.... Thank you
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:54:34 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 11:23:08 pm »
Well done Richard... :)

Vic

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:40:20 pm »
Please note also, this release MUST have a PilotAware Bridge present in order to work correctly.

Ah! so no chance of me testing to see if my Nexus 7's connection is now stable before buying a bridge then?  :(

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 09:14:00 am »
About updates.... Can we simply update our sd card in a second PAW at home then take just the SD card to the airfield and put it into the PAW installed in the aircraft. This card already has the correct key, hex, reg, in the settings? Or in other words have 2 sd cards for one main PAW, just updated in a second unit (just a Raspberry Pi *) I hope this makes sense 

Richard,

I'm sure I tried that, but have a feeling I still had to re-enter the license key etc. Can't quite remember. Hopefully Lee will advise when he sees this.

Peter   edit: Lee advised that this is possible

Morning Richard,

I noted late last night that you managed a successful update of your main unit via Ethernet. My memory is clearer this morning regarding updating the card from the PAW fitted in your aircraft by using a second unit at home as a 'surrogate'. I remembered what the issue re the License was and have just tried this using my 'spare' ADSB Only pi 2 as the surrogate and also using one of my old Pi B+ units to confirm.

As Lee says, you can take the micro SD card out of the PAW 'fitted' in your aircraft home, put it in your 'spare' Paw (* or another raspberry Pi, though if you want to carry out the download checks this needs to at least have a PAW WiFi dongle fitted) connect that to your router, power it up and wait 20 minutes, power down again and disconnect the Ethernet cable. If there was a software update available it will have downloaded. If you want to check, then power your 'spare' PAW/Pi back up with the 'Main Unit Card' still in it and connect to the 'Home Page' from your tablet, it shows:

Pilotaware Software Version (Date Code) License Expired()

...because the license code on the micro SD card in it is for your Main Unit! and therefore carries the Main Unit Licence details which don't match your current unit's MAC address!

At this point, if you click on (Updates) - you will see the new version listed next to the (Install) button, but remember you are not trying to update the 'Surrogate', so DO NOT CLICK (INSTALL). If you did it wouldn't run but might corrupt the information on the card. Simply power down and remove the micro SD card.

When you return to the airfield, place this card in your 'Main' unit, power up, connect with your tablet, go to (Updates) and click (Install). Time for a cup of coffee and when you come back your Main Unit will be running on the new version.

As you say, if you have 2 cards both initially set up for the 'Main Unit' with the correct Licence details, Hex Address etc, this method will allow you to 'download' updates remotely at will and transfer them to your Main Unit when you next visit your aircraft.

Nice one Richard!!! and Three Problems Solved in One!

Basic Ethernet Update

Remote Update Using a Surrogate Pi

We've finally found a relevant use for our old B+s

Now we just need to get Keith to add this to the nice new Operating Manual  :(

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:32:05 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
Please note also, this release MUST have a PilotAware Bridge present in order to work correctly.

Ah! so no chance of me testing to see if my Nexus 7's connection is now stable before buying a bridge then?  :(

Hi Vic,
Actually you can still install to test your WiFi issue, because you can see if you can connect to the home webpage
http://192.168.1.1
if you get a connection, then you know the reversion to WiFi Mode-B has solved your issue

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:39 am »
One Again Thank you.... Yes, I have just compleated the update as you have described above, and it all works OK. I did it the way Lee suggested and did the Update on the Surrogate PI B+ then transfer it to another PAW using PI2 and also carrying the key for that PAW PI2. All worked OK.  Now I will try again with the main unit installed in the Aircraft... I suspect all will be good to go

Thank you Again.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:41 am »
Richard,

To save yourself an extra trip, you could of course do a Manual Install of the new software on a fresh card to get your Main unit working right away, then change over to the new 'Surrogate' system afterwards. You will need to re-input your details manually the first time you use the 'new' card though.

Thanks for the prompts

Regards

Peter

Vic

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 11:59:35 am »

Hi Vic,
Actually you can still install to test your WiFi issue, because you can see if you can connect to the home webpage
if you get a connection, then you know the reversion to WiFi Mode-B has solved your issue

Thx
Lee

Thanks Lee, that's much more stable, rock solid through 2 walls in the house!

NOW! when can I buy a bridge!!??   :D

**EDIT** Disregard, I see they're up on the  shop now!  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:02:16 pm by Vic »

Admin

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 12:07:45 pm »

Hi Vic,

Thx
Lee

Thanks Lee, that's much more stable, rock solid through 2 walls in the house!

NOW! when can I buy a bridge!!??   :D

**EDIT** Disregard, I see they're up on the  shop now!  :)

great so I will set the WiFi thread to SOLVED

Thx
Lee

daveb

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 07:29:22 am »
What was the final consensus on running the PAW without the ADSB antenna attached?  I know there was some debate but I cant recall any definite position one way or the other.
If the antenna is 'installed' in the aircraft it makes it inconvenient to take it all off to do updates at home.

Cheers

Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:51 am »
Dave,

I take it you mean for updating at home, leaving the Antenna in situ in the plane?

There is no problem running the PAW without the ADSB antenna as this part is receive only, but the technical answer is that you should never run a transmitter (i.e. the P3i part) without an antenna attached as this causes the transmitted signal to be reflected back into the output stage of the transmitter which can cause damage. The discussion was around the fact that the P3i is a very low power transmitter, so is less likely to be damaged by its own output. However if damage did occur through operating without the antenna attached, this would almost certainly void the warranty.

If you have read replies 1 and in particular 18 above, you will see there is an alternative method using a 'spare' raspberry pi (if you have one) as a 'surrogate' to download updates without removing your  main unit from your aircraft. If this is not possible / desireable and you still want to take the unit home, you should get yourself a spare aerial (preferably an end fed dipole as supplied in the kit).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Peter

daveb

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
Yes it does thanks.  I can bring the unit home with the P31 attached but leave the ADSB behind in the aircraft.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break it.

exfirepro

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 08:45:27 am »
Nope, no problem with doing that  :) :)

Peter

the_top_pilot

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 10:18:24 am »
Auto Update?

My home network is not 198.162.1.XXX but another number 198.162.X.XXX
I am guessing that is going to scupper my auto update.

Steve

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 10:20:45 am »

But no, it shouldn't scupper anything, the Paw will get an IP address from the DHCP when you plug it in.