Author Topic: Downloading New Software Releases;  (Read 15105 times)

Moffrestorer

Downloading New Software Releases;
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:40:09 pm »
Hi Lee,

Can you please spell out the procedure for updating a PAW Classic to today's new release?

Thx,

Chris

exfirepro

Re: Downloading New Software Releases;
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:21 pm »
Hi Chris,

Lee seems to be offline at present so here goes.

This is the best way to carry out an auto-update. edited to incorporate Lee's later comments

• First check that your current software is at least version 20160511 (earlier versions won't auto-update)

Turn off your Pilotaware

Connect it to your home or other router with an Ethernet cable.

Power up the PAW and leave it running - any new update should automatically download, but to be sure, leave your PAW connected to your router for at least 20 minutes. Depending on your router subnet, you may not be able to connect to your PAW during this stage.

Power down and disconnect the Ethernet Cable

Power your PAW back up again.

Connect to PAW from your usual tablet or whatever and go to the Home Page (or any other main page).

Click the (Updates) button from the top of any page - if there is a new update it will be listed.

Click the Install button and wait while PAW installs the update. This may take some time.

Check the Home Page, which should now show the new update as PilotAware Version (New Date) e.g. (20160530).

You are now running the new update.

The main benefit of the Auto-updating system is that, unlike the 'old' method, you no longer need to reformat the microSD card each time and your licence details are retained, so you don't have to re-enter them after every update (both of which were a pain). Downside? The only one I have found is that I have to take the PAW out of the plane (it's semi-permanently fitted) or buy a big long ethernet cable  :-\

Edit: Also see Reply 18 on Page 2

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:24:42 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:33:24 pm »
Hi Chris, Peter,

a quick addendum to Peters posting

If your home router uses the subnet 192.168.1.xxx
Then you will not be able to connect from your wireless tablet, whilst it is connected to your home router.
This is because the Wired and Wireless networks cannot use the same subnet.

So 2 possibilities
1. connect to your home network, and leave for 20 mins
turn off
disconnect from home network
turn on
connect from tablet

2. connect to your home network,
access your router connected client page, to discover the IP address allocated
from another machine connected to your home network, connect to the address indicated on your router

Personally, I think option 1 is easier, connect, leave for 20 mins & come backe later

Edit: Finally, we are about to upload the full operating instructions, and this information is detailed therein

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:37:40 pm by Admin »

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:41:24 pm »
Thanks Lee,

My tablet connects fine during update, which is why I didn't know this. That will be today's new knowledge  :D

I have updated my advice above to reflect this.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:21:07 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:04:02 pm »
Please note also, this release MUST have a PilotAware Bridge present in order to work correctly.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:33:23 pm by Admin »

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
Ahh,  I wondered when that would happen to put a cat among a few pidgeons.    :D

Alan

Richard

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:08:46 pm »
The main benefit of the Auto-updating system is that, unlike the 'old' method, you no longer need to reformat the microSD card each time and your licence details are retained, so you don't have to re-enter them after every update (which was a pain). Downside? The only one I have found is that I have to take the PAW out of the plane (it's semi-permanently fitted) or buy a big long ethernet cable.

About updates.... Can we simply update our sd card in a second PAW at home then take just the SD card to the airfield and put it into the PAW installed in the aircraft. This card already has the correct key, hex, reg, in the settings? Or in other words have 2 sd cards for one main PAW, just updated in a second unit (just a Raspberry Pi) I hope this makes sense 
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 08:23:04 pm »
Richard,

I'm sure I tried that, but have a feeling I still had to re-enter the license key etc. Can't quite remember. Hopefully Lee will advise when he sees this.

Peter

Richard

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »
The licence key should be written to the SD card so should work !  I will try it.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 09:36:45 pm »
It will presumably depend on how Lee has programmed the update to load onto the existing card.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 10:01:57 pm »
About updates.... Can we simply update our sd card in a second PAW at home then take just the SD card to the airfield and put it into the PAW installed in the aircraft. This card already has the correct key, hex, reg, in the settings? Or in other words have 2 sd cards for one main PAW, just updated in a second unit (just a Raspberry Pi) I hope this makes sense

Yes this should work actually

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:09:07 pm »
I have just tried to up date as described in the new manual. Is there a problem? Ok  connected to PAW via 192.168.1.1 no problem.... Powered down connected direct to router... Power up.... Then can not connect via 192.168.1.1. It just hanging with out connecting. Running version 20160511 which should be ok.  We have had this problem befor on the earlier version. Has anyone had the same problem or is it me? I have updated this way befor. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:13:42 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:31:52 pm »
I have just tried to up date as described in the new manual. Is there a problem? Ok  connected to PAW via 192.168.1.1 no problem.... Powered down connected direct to router... Power up.... Then can not connect via 192.168.1.1. It just hanging with out connecting. Running version 20160511 which should be ok.  We have had this problem befor on the earlier version. Has anyone had the same problem or is it me? I have updated this way befor.

Richard,

Please follow my earlier post (Reply 1) but Don't connect your tablet to your PAW until after you have connected it to your router, powered it up, left it for 20 minutes, powered it back down and disconnected it from your router. Then re-start it, connect to 192.168.1.1 from your tablet, select (Update) from the Screen Headers and check the updates page. If an update has downloaded correctly it will be there waiting to 'Install'.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 10:34:11 pm »
Peter is right, your home router is probably on the same subnet 192.168.1.xxx
So you cannot access the wifi whilst connected to your router

I have changed my router subnet to be 192.168.0.xxx that way I can run both interfaces

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 10:36:51 pm »
One thing you can do Richard is log in to your router and find what IP address your PAW is using on the home network. Using your tablet (or PC) connected to your home network, you can log on to the PAW using the assigned IP address.