Author Topic: Ground Station  (Read 170268 times)

Richard

Re: Ground Station
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:29 am »
How about having a network of ground stations feeding into FR24...?

It would be easier if the Wifi could be configured to connect to the home network rather than having to use a cable.

To wifi your Pilotaware to your network you simply need a wifi extender, something like the bt one, or one from maplins, there are lots to chose from. Plug your Pilotaware into the wifi extender via the network output rj45  and you now have it connected wifi. You can remove the wifi dongale from the Pilotaware as You now conected via wifi network. It works a treat.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:30:34 am by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 08:56:45 am »
It would be easier and take less electricity if it were to be done within the PAW.

As for base stations transmitting for test purposes, surely you just need to set it to some sort of aircraft instead, rather than setting it to "base station" for that to happen? You can still set what ID you want it to transmit.

Richard

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 10:23:15 am »
My concern for an explosion in Base station was that anyone can buy a PAW, non flyers, and wannabe's and genuine aviation people. I'm all for the base station set up correctly, Some one at sherburn suggested trying to set up an on screen Radar (Flight Radar 24) for every one to see in the club to monitor traffic around the airfield..... I suggested to them it would be far better to use PAW for very accurate results, We may have an uptake from the suggestion too!
Richard.
Europa XS

Deker

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 11:11:13 am »
Can there be an option in the config screen so that we can choose to display ground stations or not, rather than kill the option altogether?
Best of both words:-
Disable the display of ground stn' if you're flying and don't want clutter.
Enable ground stn' display when testing.

Deker.

DaveStyles

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 11:20:19 am »
My concern for an explosion in Base station was that anyone can buy a PAW, non flyers, and wannabe's and genuine aviation people. I'm all for the base station set up correctly, Some one at sherburn suggested trying to set up an on screen Radar (Flight Radar 24) for every one to see in the club to monitor traffic around the airfield..... I suggested to them it would be far better to use PAW for very accurate results, We may have an uptake from the suggestion too!

I have used a PAW on the ground and watched people doing circuits. I've also used a PAW on the ground to watch someone fly over to the training area near Diss/Eye and fly around there, training!

My school are thinking of fitting them so they can watch their aircraft from the club house.

Important point: In REAL time and 20 miles out !

Ian Melville

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2016, 09:27:53 am »
I'm either having a Brain Wave or a Brain Fart.

If we want ground stations why are we going down the route of Pi's and Bridges? Isn't a SDR dongle capable of receiving P3i transmissions? It could then run on a Pi or a PC. I know someone will have to write the software, or adapt what is already out there? but it would be cheaper and it would make integration with Flight Radar 24 (other software is available) much easier.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:26:08 pm by Ian Melville »

EricC

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2016, 09:46:48 am »
Have mine up and running again.
RX Yesterday 393

Regarding the term Base Station/ Ground station maybe an option
would be the term (Test Station) indicating that it is for range test purposes.

Authorised by PilotAware to be used as such.

DaveStyles

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 11:13:22 am »
Hi Eric,..

I'll see if I can get the Log processing software posted later. Be nice for everyone to be able to easily look in their log files!

regards

Dave.

Deker

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2016, 12:17:06 pm »
Here's a quick screen grab I too this morning.
Showing Mode S, ADSB and a PAW contact :-)

Moffrestorer

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2016, 05:26:47 pm »

I'll see if I can get the Log processing software posted later. Be nice for everyone to be able to easily look in their log files!

That would be good, Dave!

FERRYAIR

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 05:47:48 pm »
I think I would be concerned if I saw ICAO24-address 1E641D as this is from the Russian Federation [ RU ]
1E641D hex = 1991709 decimal = 7462035 octal = 00011110 01100100 00011101 binary.

Admin

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 07:21:05 pm »
I think I would be concerned if I saw ICAO24-address 1E641D as this is from the Russian Federation [ RU ]
1E641D hex = 1991709 decimal = 7462035 octal = 00011110 01100100 00011101 binary.

This is not an ICAO code, it is a PilotAware allocated code.
This is output until the user enters a FlightID code
Thx
Lee

EricC

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »
Just received RX  from G-BCCF

Ian Melville

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 06:43:35 am »
Lee, does a ground station, that is transmitting appear as an alert to passing aircraft? Could cause some confusion as reported on the Flyer forum. Obviously ground obstruction should alert an aircraft, but monitoring/testing should be suppressed in some way? Monitoring could have the TX turned off as mentioned elsewhere, but testing?

Admin

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 09:15:48 am »
Lee, does a ground station, that is transmitting appear as an alert to passing aircraft? Could cause some confusion as reported on the Flyer forum. Obviously ground obstruction should alert an aircraft, but monitoring/testing should be suppressed in some way? Monitoring could have the TX turned off as mentioned elsewhere, but testing?

I only control the audio alerts, and this will raise an audio alert which is based upon proximity.

I dont think SD will complain as it does some analysis on trajectory and proximity.
Also for the navigation devices the ground station will appear as static, it will not have an extended track line.

In the next release, I will add the ability to ignore ground stations if desired, this means they can continue to collect and supply data, if desired.

Thx
Lee