Author Topic: Ground Station  (Read 169843 times)

Admin

Re: Ground Station
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:18 am »
How can you tell which ones are P3i and which ones are ADS-B?

There is no definitive way from this file TBH, but assuming that the receiver has not changed its default 'Group-ID', and the transmitter has not changed its default 'Group-ID' - so both set to PAWGRP, then any PilotAware Flight-ID will be bracketed in '#'

eg,
$PFLAA,0,14163,14666,29,1,405CA6!#G-PAW4#,58,,48,,8*7B

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
I thought of that but out of supposedly 122 P3i messages in the file I sent you, I did a search for "#" and couldn't find any. My PAW still has PAWGRP as the group default.

Admin

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 11:38:53 am »
If we are going to have ground stations, I think it is worth the investment of having a higher gain antenna.
You really need good clearance based upon your surroundings.
The ground stations we used during testing, were in the middle of an airfield, and hence were completely void of obstructions
Keith is experimenting at the moment with a collinear type antenna, to see what kind of results that would give for a ground station.

DaveStyles

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 11:51:00 am »
I thought of that but out of supposedly 122 P3i messages in the file I sent you, I did a search for "#" and couldn't find any. My PAW still has PAWGRP as the group default.

I'm currently working on a GUI post processor program for the files.
It'll be on general release soon ;-)

cheers

Dave.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 11:56:09 am »
Is that a collinear for the ADS-B or P3i? I already have a collinear which I made for ADS-B, but a P3i one would be good for a ground station as well. It has the added complexity of the transmitter and VSWR matching as well though if the unit's going to be transmitting.

I've currently got my PAW on my upstairs windowsill with the ADS-B antenna unplugged so I only get P3i!  :D

Well I would if anyone was flying.

Apologies to anyone kept low by Farnborough overflying Guildford and getting a traffic alert from G-DOGG!  :o ;D

EricC

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »
Ground station antenna. Vertical 1/4 wave home made.

More than happy to try out another type is if it is any help.

I have fitted mine to the ridge tile on the house roof.
The only screening is to the west, chimney stack.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:04:13 pm by EricC »

Richard

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 07:29:59 pm »
I'm a little concerned about Ground stations !!! When we fly, are we going to see hundreds of Ground Stations which are cluttering the Map for no apparent reason. The PI3 transmitter may want to be disabled for a ground Station ????
Richard.
Europa XS

JCurtis

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »
I'm a little concerned about Ground stations !!! When we fly, are we going to see hundreds of Ground Stations which are cluttering the Map for no apparent reason. The PI3 transmitter may want to be disabled for a ground Station ????

Mine is more for testing than being fully permanent, there could always be an option to display displaying them...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

GarethHorne

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »
There is an option for 'Base Station' in the Aircraft Type configure page - does this not solve this issue?

Admin

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
There is an option for 'Base Station' in the Aircraft Type configure page - does this not solve this issue?

Not yet but it will in a forthcoming release - well before we have a plethora of ground stations.

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 09:02:06 pm »
ThanX Lee, that was the reply I was hoping to see.  ;)
Richard.
Europa XS

EricC

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:01 pm »
No Rx received today.

l gather you do not wish to have ground stations.

My intention was to assist users to test the range and conform there unit was
performing satisfactorily and at a suitable range.

Shutdown from now!

Admin

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »
Hi Eric,
Please don't be concerned, I think it is fine to keep this up and running, this is not going to cause an issue right now.
As I mentioned earlier, I will have the base station disabled from transmission in the next release,
so will not be a problem, should a number of base stations pop up.

I have a question, do you have your basestation connected to the internet through your router, or simply stand alone.
It would be pretty easy to automate uploading of received data to a server - in the same way the automatic updates are downloaded.
This would mean you would not need to post your data manually, we could collect automatically.

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
How about having a network of ground stations feeding into FR24...?

It would be easier if the Wifi could be configured to connect to the home network rather than having to use a cable.

Richard W

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:03 am »
Please could we have the option of transmitting from a base station, if required? Or maybe two sorts of base station, tx and non-tx? At the moment they are very useful for testing airpborne PAWs.