Author Topic: Enabling Traffic on an Advanced Flight Systems EFIS  (Read 1911 times)

AndrewButler

Enabling Traffic on an Advanced Flight Systems EFIS
« on: October 03, 2023, 09:18:32 pm »
Hello - New to the forum seeking assistance.

I have hardwired my Rosetta to my Advanced Flight Systems EFIS using a FTDI USB cable plugged into USB Port 1. Is GDL90 enabled on the Rosetta as I see a (TBD) beside GDL90 in the configuration page? I am asking because I can’t get the EFIS to acknowledge a connection to the Rosetta.

See pics attached of options on the EFIS.

Thank you all for your help.

Andrew Butler.
EI-EEO.

steveu

Re: Enabling Traffic on an Advanced Flight Systems EFIS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 11:45:59 pm »
At a guess, you would set Traffic/Serial 0 if that's your port 1 to be GDL90/NMEA115K on your EFIS, and then set the Rosetta port driving it to GDL90 in the protocol list and also to the right baud in the speed drop down, which would be 115,200 then be sure to save the changes made.

AndrewButler

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 11:22:33 am »
Thank you Steve.

Do you know what the (TBD) after the GDL90 and MAVLINK options mean? The reason I ask is because in the EFIS manual it states that the ADSB settings means the GDL90 protocol. Assuming that to be true then using the one of the three ADSB settings matched with the PAW GDL90 output at a matching speed should work..... but it doesn't.

Andrew.

steveu

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 08:56:06 am »
Thank you Steve.

Do you know what the (TBD) after the GDL90 and MAVLINK options mean? The reason I ask is because in the EFIS manual it states that the ADSB settings means the GDL90 protocol. Assuming that to be true then using the one of the three ADSB settings matched with the PAW GDL90 output at a matching speed should work..... but it doesn't.

Andrew.

I think you can ignore the ADS-B settings - you need to set the serial port to do traffic, then within the settings for traffic choose GDL90/NMEA115. Then you need to set the PAW to do GDL90 out, at a baud rate of 115,200 baud.

I've not seen TBD before but which model of Advanced Flight Systems EFIS is it?

In both pictures it looks to me like you are choosing a role for the Serial Port 0, then choosing settings within that role to make it work. So Traffic needs to be green, then within Traffic make your settings as needed.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 04:03:05 pm »
Andrew,

My guess would be that TBD means ‘To Be Done’ - i.e. work in progress - but Lee would have to advise.

As Steve says, if you can give us some more info about your unit, or a link to the installation/setup manual(s), we can take a better informed look for you.

I take it you are using the Orange and Black wires in the FTDI to supply Data Out and Ground respectively. Also as Steve has said, matching baud rates both ends is Critical.

Best Regards

Peter

AndrewButler

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 04:29:23 pm »
Thank you Peter. Yes, if TBD means that, which is what I suspect, then it just won't work. Hence my query.

Yes, I have taken the FTDI Tx wire and attached it to the applicable Rx pin in the EFIS. Black is connected to ground (EFIS casing).

The Traffic and ADSB photos above are the relevant available EFIS settings for the EFIS serial ports of which there are five available (0 to 4) on the AFS 5400.

How do we get Lee to respond to this query TBD? If it is To Be Done, the next question would be an ETA for its enablement.

Thanks all for your help.

Andrew.

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 07:37:23 pm »
I would try Flarm Out (115K Baud rate) and link it to the GDL90/NMEA serial traffic input.

Flarm Out is used for the Dynon EFIS (who I think make the AFS systems) and I believe the correct information is sent from the Flarm Out USB in the Pilot Aware.

My Dynon HDX uses this set up, albeit with a lower baud rate.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2282.msg23780.html#msg23780
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 07:44:34 pm by PaulSS »

AndrewButler

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 08:51:50 pm »
Thank you Paul. Just back from the field (EIMH). I tried that setting pairing. No joy  :(

On the plus side, I am nearly finished the hard wired install of my PAW. I am replacing a TrafficWatch unit that was installed just above my EFIS so I can reuse the audio 3.5mm plug and external antenna. I will install a 768Mhz external antenna probably at next annual. I will put the mouse GPS antenna on the dashboard. Nice it is black and low profile. I am placing the PAW under the dash where the TrafficWatch was velcroed to the top of the EFIS. Being so light, not an issue.

Dyon actually bought AFS a few years back, with AFS slowly moving in the Dyon compatibility direction.

My aircraft is EI-EEO a Vans RV7 first flight Feb 2011.

Andrew.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 10:37:46 am »
Hi Andrew,

Can you send a link to the USB/RS232 converter you are using ?

Thx
Lee

AndrewButler

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 12:43:20 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

I may be using an incompatible cable.... I have just ordered this one:

https://ie.farnell.com/ftdi/usb-rs232-we-1800-bt-0-0/cable-usb-a-rs232-serial-convertor/dp/1686450

This look okay?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best regards,

Andrew.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 09:34:08 pm »
That one is correct
Thx
Lee

AndrewButler

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 10:27:33 am »
Guess what. Using the correct cable worked. I am now connected to the AFS using GDL90 at 115K baud.

Apologies for the time wasting.

I took a test flight last night. I have some tweaking to do. I was getting incessant "Traffic" alarms coming through on the audio and couldn't seem to be able to turn them off no matter what I changed in the config settings. Will test more.

Also, on the EFIS, the Aircraft Image was accompanied with an arrow and a couple of sets of 0000s. What are these, and is there a way to remove them from the feed to the EFIS? When I zoom out, they are merged with the aircraft image and when I zoom in as shown in the image they move back and forth in front of the aircraft image. See attached:

Any ideas how to remove?

Once again thank you all for your help and apologies for using the wrong cable!

Andrew.

steveu

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 11:48:59 am »
I was getting incessant "Traffic" alarms coming through on the audio and couldn't seem to be able to turn them off no matter what I changed in the config settings. Will test more.

Where is the audio being generated? In the EFIS or in the PAW? If in the PAW and audio to your intercom then simply adjust the ranges on the PAW Radar screen.

If in the EFIS, then you need to adjust ranges in the EFIS whilst leaving the PAW ones fully open/no limits. If you are desperate, then you can reduce the amount of warnings (by discarding the ones further away) by reducing the limits of reports in the PAW Radar Screen. This is not the correct way to do it, you should leave the Radar screen unlimited and cut back on warning in the EFB/EFIS. I know as I write this that Peter R will be flagging up warnings about doing things the correct way.

Also, on the EFIS, the Aircraft Image was accompanied with an arrow and a couple of sets of 0000s. What are these, and is there a way to remove them from the feed to the EFIS? When I zoom out, they are merged with the aircraft image and when I zoom in as shown in the image they move back and forth in front of the aircraft image. See attached:

Any ideas how to remove?

Is the image the one of your aircraft or other aircraft? If it's of other aircraft then it looks like there is some configuration to be done in your EFIS. Again without the exact model of EFIS it's hard to tell or for others with the same to recognise it and help.

AndrewButler

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 02:53:04 pm »
Thankyou Steve. It's an Advanced Flight Systems 5400.

It never occurred to me that the EFIS was generating the audio. The only word coming through was "Traffic". I will review the EFIS documentation and traffic audio alerting options.

For the picture, the yellow aircraft is me. Not sure what is generating the accompanying zeros and yellow arrow. I'll dig further on the configuration aspects of the EFIS.

Andrew.

steveu

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 05:31:33 pm »
The other thing to check is that the firmware is up to date. Worth comparing the firmware installed in the unit and latest version on the manufacturer's web site.