Author Topic: Suggestion: Initial config for a Pi 3B using Wifi - SSID and Password  (Read 1706 times)

rhine

Hello and a suggestion.

This topic was discussed before but now in an old thread, so ...

When building a Pi 3B with a WiFi service available but no ethernet connection, it would be very useful to be able to put SSID and password into a file on the SD card like in wpa_supplicant so that as the image boots it will pick up the network and able you to then complete your configuration from a laptop also connected to that same wireless network.

Great job and many thanks, Richard

Keithvinning

Re: Suggestion: Initial config for a Pi 3B using Wifi - SSID and Password
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 07:25:10 am »
Hi Richard
At the moment the WiFi and password are put in at the configuration stage if the SW detects that the Pi is a 3B.
If this hasn’t been done then you will need a wired connection to do it the WiFi will work.

Cheers

Keith

rhine

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 08:25:22 pm »
Thanks Keith. Understand that I think.

I am suggesting that when you take an ATOM station to a field without ethernet and only WiFi, it would make the 'onboarding' process much easier if you could provide the field SSID and password in a file on the Pi in advance of the commissioning visit. As it stands, you have to find an ethernet connection or a screen and keyboard in order to provide WiFi network credentials.

I know that this doesn't get done much; commissioning | recomissioning but think it would make like easier. Just a suggestion.

Thanks all for your great work.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:44:11 am »
Actually this works today, there is already a template you can copy