Author Topic: iGRID - Two devices required?  (Read 6845 times)

russp

iGRID - Two devices required?
« on: June 02, 2022, 06:48:03 pm »
Just picked up the email about the new software and iGRID and one thing isn't clear .. do we actually need two devices now, one with our EFB on it and another separate one to provide the hotspot for the iGRID? It kinda implies that the same device cant be used for both but doesn't seem to be actually stated.

Dave jones

Re: iGRID - Two devices required?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 08:39:20 pm »
I believe you need a cellular phone to provide a hotspot to link to your iPad. The phone can be left anywhere in the aircraft as long you have a signal. Correct me me if I’m wrong. I’m no expert.

steveu

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 09:15:07 pm »
You can do it with one device, but it's involved.  With the most recent iPhones and some Android phones, the phone can be a mobile hotspot (so provide Internet) and join the wireless network that the PAW is on.

It's a little tricky and the sequence in which things are done is important.

As I have an old Huawei MiFi, I have used that to provide the PAW with Internet connectivity and simply connected all the other devices to the PAW WiFi, the PAW will act as a router and allow all the devices on its WiFi network to see the Internet.

So, PAW connected to Huawei MiFi running cheapie GiffGaff PAYG SIM, tablets running SD connected to PAW but seeing Internet. Job done. £8/month for cheapie SIM.

HTH

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 09:51:15 am »
...the PAW will act as a router and allow all the devices on its WiFi network to see the Internet.

In my mind this has been an extremely useful 'by product' of the development.  I use my iPhone's hotspot to connect to the PAW. My iPad is connected to the PAW WIFI (as usual) and, hey presto, my SkyDemon now has Internet for winds, updated NOTAMs etc without having to have a sim card installed in it. Particularly useful if you have a WIFI only iPad  :)

Initially I was quite sceptical because I found the hotspot connection quite flaky and that was between an iPhone and iPad, so without the normal complications of Android being in the mix. The hotspot didn't used to automatically reconnect and very often I had no idea what WIFI was connected to what. But Lee and The Team have done some sterling work and yesterday was a particularly good example of how much better it was. My hotspot remained connected throughout, even when my phone screen went to sleep (early versions meant you had to keep the screen awake) and there was no snags with dropping in or out once the phone had its 4G signal. Of course, when there is no 4G signal, the GSM button turns orange and you'll not be receiving the Internet traffic but as soon as 4G came back, I was getting a green GSM box and all was good again, with the traffic counter increasing (Home Page).

I think they've done a great job of getting the hardware to work well together and create a good, additional system to the classic PAW and ATOM station. The only weak point is the phone's 4G and that is going to be affected by many things such as the network you're subscribed to, phone antenna performance/phone location, altitude etc etc. Little the PAW Team can do about that but it is certainly a big plus  ;D

russp

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 07:53:36 pm »
OK - so real world testing on the ground with an ipad mini (running skydemon) and an iphone 7 resulted in my finding out that it doesn't seem to make any difference which I use for the hotspot (I had no issues with connection or with order but maybe got lucky - who knows)  Both were less than solid but the issue was the pilotaware radar screen showing intermittently the orange (never red) gsm button indicating that there was no mobile signal being recieved by the hotspot although at all times both hotspot devices showed med to strong signals on different providers. At these times sometimes the weather overlay disappeared and sometimes it didn't. Love the aircraft identification ability on the radar screen.

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 09:14:11 pm »
So are you saying you can use only one cellular ipad both as usual as an EFB and sim from
It as a hotspot without even needing the second dongle? Or you just saying that you used two dongles, two devices and it sort of worked as expected?

I was also curious to find out if one can connect the hotspot device via a cable rather than over wifi? Anybody knows?

steveu

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 09:22:50 pm »
So are you saying you can use only one cellular ipad both as usual as an EFB and sim from
It as a hotspot without even needing the second dongle? Or you just saying that you used two dongles, two devices and it sort of worked as expected?

The Rosetta has inbuilt Wifi so you only need one plug in dongle.  I have got it to work with one device and one dongle, but this is not my mode of operation. I use a second device to service the Internet requirements.

I was also curious to find out if one can connect the hotspot device via a cable rather than over wifi? Anybody knows?

As I understand it the network connection is only for firmware resets. I may be wrong, but a friend who tried to use it for general network access did not succeed.

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 09:49:09 pm »
So one device meaning same
Device was feeding internet into PAW and was being used for EFB ? Great if so

russp

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 10:13:35 pm »
Yes - ipad serving as the EFB and the hotspot at the same time. I did have the additional wifi dongle plugged in to the pilot aware and it did seem to need it.

Dave jones

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 10:18:48 pm »
What dongle were you using. Was it the RALINK 5370?

russp

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 08:23:19 am »
Yes - apparently - the one supplied with the original pilotaware classic as confirmed on the other thread

Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 10:58:47 am »
Both were less than solid but the issue was the pilotaware radar screen showing intermittently the orange (never red) gsm button indicating that there was no mobile signal …
Strictly speaking, this means not receiving data from the GRID server
I think we are going to add a more frequent heartbeat

Admin

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 11:01:56 am »

If you mean rj45, then yes

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 11:21:21 am »
Sorry, not sure what rj45 is… could you please clarify in simple terms (i tend to think I’m not a newbie user, but not familiar with quite a few very tech terms either):

1) I can plug in my iphone via a cable to paw classic and have it as a hotspot without the additional wifi dongle or any wifi use for enabling igrid?

2) if “hotspot over the cable” is not an option and my ipad has a sim, can I use just that ipad to get traffic and to be a hotspot at the same time?

Admin

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 12:25:25 pm »
Sorry, not sure what rj45 is… could you please clarify in simple terms (i tend to think I’m not a newbie user, but not familiar with quite a few very tech terms either):
RJ45 is the network cable on the PilotAware device

1) I can plug in my iphone via a cable to paw classic and have it as a hotspot without the additional wifi dongle or any wifi use for enabling igrid?
No, as the iPhone will attempt to draw power, not a good idea

2) if “hotspot over the cable” is not an option and my ipad has a sim, can I use just that ipad to get traffic and to be a hotspot at the same time?
If it can act as a hotspot and client, then yes
Not all devices support this