Author Topic: Android  (Read 68522 times)

Andy Fell

Re: Android
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 09:16:44 pm »
Is there a chance you throw away any bad ADSB sentences (i.e. failed CRC?) but these are still reported?

Admin

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »
Is there a chance you throw away any bad ADSB sentences (i.e. failed CRC?) but these are still reported?

I receive adsb messages which are mode c only reporting altitude, these are discarded.

Admin

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2015, 10:25:38 pm »
Dumb question, you have enabled the filters upto 40000ft ?

Andy Fell

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:14 pm »
Dumb question, you have enabled the filters upto 40000ft ?

Ahem, errr.. whoops :-)

Working now.

chrismills

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2015, 01:07:43 am »
Sharp thinking Lee.

Working slowly on a rewrite with cleaner UI and  UDP if I can get it to work.
Could you give some direction for planning protocols P3I, NMEA, TCP/UDP, etc
Thanks  Lee

BW Chris

Andy Fell

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2015, 01:38:19 am »
I thought I had a 50,000ft filter, but I was missing a zero  ;D

Robski

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
There may be some issues with Android killing processes that are asleep. I don't have a thorough understanding of this at the moment.
Hi Chris.
You've probably moved beyond this now, but sounds like the CollisionAware needs to run its business end as a service rather than an app. That way the unload/reload aspects of the Android Lifecycle ought to no longer apply.
A very quick google turned up:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6177775/android-app-application-vs-android-app-service
but there should be lots more out there!

I came a cropper with the lifecycle when I did a bit of programming for android a couple of years ago, so I can sympathise. Fortunately I just needed to re-code to work within the application lifecycle rather than outside it, which CollisionAware probably needs to.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:45:56 pm by Robski »
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Robski

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »
Does the work Lee is doing with adding a USB GPS to the RPi / PilotAware mean that PA will work 'directly' with SkyDemon on Android and not need CollisionAware?

Just making sure I understand the way things are evolving!

Having multiple connection options has to be a good thing, though.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Admin

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2015, 01:58:33 pm »
Does the work Lee is doing with adding a USB GPS to the RPi / PilotAware mean that PA will work 'directly' with SkyDemon on Android and not need CollisionAware?

Yes, with the GPS plugged into the PI there is no need to run CollisionAware.

iang

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2015, 08:24:38 pm »
can someone explain the android route, having set up the software on the pi will the two parts of the hardware just link via the wireless connection and the nav pro/sky demon just take on the supplied data?

is there going to be an update for the android software to handle the barometric pressure sensor?

chrismills

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2015, 10:29:50 pm »
Hi Ian.

The android software is a direct replacement for the original CollisionAvoid iPhone app.

The whole system works a bit like this.

GPS Position data                                                      GPS Pos + Traffic

GPS source ------------------------------> PilotAware box ---------------------------> Nav Software
                                                                                        ^
                            ADSB Traffic                                     |
                            P3I Traffic     --------------------|

GPS source can come from various options, namely CollisionAvoid software on iPhone, PilotAwareAndroid on Android phone/tab and most recently USB GPS plugged into PilotAware box.
Nav Software also has various options. Personally, I run SkyDemon on a 10" Android tablet, or on my Samsung Phone. Other software also works (Runway HD, EasyVFR, etc). Other folks use iPad/iPad Mini for their Nav software.

I have had success running both PilotAwareAndroid and Skydemon on the same device ie mobile phone and I assume my tablet would do the same, except it doesn't have a GPS chip.

With regards the barometric sensor, this is fitted to the PilotAware box. I'm not sure at the moment if there is any need for the GPS source to influence the pressure sensor. I think Lee will be implementing this through the web page config.

I'm currently rewriting the PilotAwareAndroid software to improve the user interface, allow configuration of settings, implement TCP and/or UDP and pass NMEA sentences in addition to the P3I sentence. I'm not a professional programmer and I'm working on this in my free time so I expect it will all take a while, however if Lee releases firmware which requires an Android app upgrade to maintain functionality then I hope to be able to release that promptly.

Hope this helps. I'm sure Lee could fill in any gaps

chrismills

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2015, 01:43:24 am »
Hi Lee. is it time for my Android app to switch over to supply NMEA sentences over UDP?
If so, which sentences is the PilotAware expecting to receive.

BW, Chris

Admin

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2015, 09:14:56 am »
Hi Lee. is it time for my Android app to switch over to supply NMEA sentences over UDP?
If so, which sentences is the PilotAware expecting to receive.

BW, Chris

Hi Chris

I would say gpgga gprmc should be enough
Do you have access to an ios device ?
If so try running nmeagps sending on udp to 192.168.1.1 to 2001 and enable nmea logging in pilotaware
This should provide a good reference.

If this is difficult, let me know, I will capture and send you a log

Thx
Lee

chrismills

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2015, 10:56:46 am »
Thanks Lee. It's reasonably easy to access the raw NMEA sentences in Android. From memory the ones you mentioned are available.  Is it critical for your code that the first 3 characters are $GP? Sometimes my phone generates a sentence which starts with $GN. I think it depends on if GPS or GLONAS us being used. I guess I  could change N to P before sending on to PilotAware.

Chris

Admin

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2015, 11:04:54 am »
My parser is looking for $GP... Do you have a reference to the $GN... messages ?
If they are equivalent. It is probably better for me to add this into my parser
Please let me know
If you give me a short spec I can turn this around very quickly an give you an engineering build

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:09:37 am by Admin »