Author Topic: Locking ipad whilst using skydemon and pilotaware  (Read 1721 times)

Hazzer111

Locking ipad whilst using skydemon and pilotaware
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:13:19 pm »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before.
I have been flying around and locked my ipad, then I unlock it and skydemon doesn't show any location but says "waiting for device" no loading happens and I have to restart SD to get it to work. Very annoying as I don't always need it open but when I do it would be great if it displayed. Skydemon supposedly has a feature which will just switch to internal GPS mode. However this didn't seem to work.

exfirepro

Re: Locking ipad whilst using skydemon and pilotaware
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 09:20:46 am »
Hi Hazzer,

I’m not surprised! If you lock your iPad, SkyDemon will simply stop working as you have effectively shut it down. Why on earth would you want to shut down your position and traffic display while flying?

SkyDemon introduced the ‘revert to internal location gps source’ (where such a source is available - which it isn’t on ‘non SIM’ iPads) function to cover for those rare occasions where your chosen traffic system or remote gps fails. It was never intended to keep the App working when you switch your tablet into standby/off mode.

Regards

Peter

Hazzer111

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 08:48:54 pm »
For example for Takeoff and landing I would lock it and move it to the side.
Then open it up after Takeoff and unlock it. The switch to ipad gps doesn't work for me for whatever reason. Locking and unlocking has never been an issue when using the internal GPS, neither has it been an issue using skyecho.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 10:57:43 pm »
Hi.
I'm struggling with this to understand where, what or how this problem is a problem.
Why do you need to shut the iPad down? The operational process would be to ensure PAW or SkyEcho on after checking you are connected to appropriate local device WiFi.
SkyDemon will report connection and all should be well. I tend to start 'Navigating' after start up to ensure all is connected.
If you then play with output device by shutting it down the process is very much interrupted.
I think a review of your process will ensure reliable access to whatever Navigation or Conspicuity device.
In short the iPad needs to stay live.
Hope you reach a logical conclusion to problem.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

steveu

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 11:37:38 pm »
I have been flying around and locked my ipad, then I unlock it and skydemon doesn't show any location but says "waiting for device" no loading happens and I have to restart SD to get it to work. Very annoying as I don't always need it open but when I do it would be great if it displayed. Skydemon supposedly has a feature which will just switch to internal GPS mode. However this didn't seem to work.

If you tap the green bar with "Waiting for device" then it should offer you the option to "Use internal GPS"?

Worth being 100% sure your SD is up to date.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 11:35:32 am »
Hi Hazzer

I think if you are saying that this works with SkyEcho in the same scenario, then this is a bug in SD

I tried what you said and you are absolutley correct, if you lock the iPad then SD does not recover
But what I can say is that PilotAware is still streaming the data to your iPad - it seems SD is no longer listening
I found I had to do the following in SD

Stop Navigating
GoFlying->PilotAware

As a test I did the following

GoFlying->GDL90
<lock Ipad>
<open Ipad>

This worked, as you explain.
So this sounds like a bug in SD that it treats data on UDP/4000(GDL90) and UDP/2000(FLARM) differently

I will contact Tim & Co for their comment

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:26 am »
Well great service from Tim at SD !
I received the following email

Hi Lee

Are you on the SkyDemon beta programme? I’m sure at least one of your team is. It sounds like something we’ve already fixed in the forthcoming 3.15.4 version of SkyDemon. From the version history:
    FIXED: Connections to PilotAware could fail to reconnect after locking the device (iOS)

How is that for a turnaround  ;)
Thx
Lee

Hazzer111

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 08:39:38 pm »
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in response. Have been busy working! Wow what a great turn of events. Yes not an issue you would expect to come across but all the better to see it fixed :)