Author Topic: No connection in Skydemon - RESOLVED  (Read 8326 times)

Matt S

Re: No connection in Skydemon
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 12:39:51 am »
Thanks Peter & Lee,

With a new license key from received from paw earlier today, my SD connected to my pi 3 straight away using software 20190621 -  So I will be using the pi 3 from now on and hopefully my kids won't notice the downgrade!

Peter - I tested the the pi 2 again as you suggested this time removing the SDR /1090 antenna (with Bridge):
- Software version 20190621 - SD did not connect to PA (but this is probably because I get a message saying 'License expired' for the original registered license key tied to the pi 2. Using the new license key registered to my pi 3 would not work presumably for obvious reasons).
- Software version 20180520 - SD connected to PAW no problem.

Thanks all, I'm just happy that i am now able to to use the latest version of paw to connect to my SD software using a pi 3 rather than pi 2.

exfirepro

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 08:27:44 am »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for trying. I’m - guessing you switched the card with 20190621 over from the Pi3 to the Pi2 but it will now have the licence key for the Pi3 etched on the card.

Your Pi2 would still run as the old licence hasn’t yet expired, but you would need to run the test with a fresh install of 20190621 and reinstall the original licence key. Probably not worth it now you have got your new board up and running though.

Best regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 06:14:43 pm »
Hi all
I was hoping Matt would come back and post his findings
To let everyone know, running up on a pi3 worked
I suspect this was an issue with the wifi dongle
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 07:15:23 pm »
I agree, though what we don’t of course know is whether the SDR was contributory in any way.

If Matt has any issues with the old SDR in his new Pi3 setup, however, I’m sure he will let us know  :)

Regards

Peter

Matt S

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 12:37:39 am »
Hi Peter and Lee,

The pi 3 is working fine with the latest software once I received the new license key - just to confirm.

On the pi 2 I was using the following wifi dongle:  https://store.netgate.com/Pluggable-USB-20-80211n-wireless-adapter-P2573.aspx.  On closer inspection I can see the casing to the dongle is cracked and i think this has been caused by it being stressed whilst located alongside the USB's for the GPS or antennae fittings das there is little spacing.  It's possible it may have been damaged although it still seems to connect to the internet when the kids are using it.  Switching to the pi 3 with inbuilt wifi is a major advantage that has avoided this issue (as you previiously mentioned).

Lee - I can send the wifi dongle but I'd need to first replace it as the kids don't have wired internet access in the room where I have the pi 2 set up.  I may shortly upgrade it to a pi 4 anyway in which case I would happily forward onto you so you can inspect it if you wanted to.

Peter - I tried a fresh install of 20190621 and reinstall the original license key on the pi 2 but the license still shows as expired.

Please let me know if you'd like any more info or other tests to be carried out.

Thanks,

Matt

Admin

Early Adopter unsupported WiFi Adapter
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 08:09:52 am »
Hi Matt,
OK, I think I found something important here, the link you provided uses the RTL8188CUS  chipset, the recommendation for the early adopters was  to use a WiFi dongle using the RT5370 chipset.
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1489.msg18453.html#msg18453

The dongle you choose uses the RTL8188CUS chipset, someone reported similar findings regarding UDP
https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=188164

Explains the issue you were seeing.
Glad its now resolved

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

Re: No connection in Skydemon - RESOLVED
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:29 am »
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback, (and to Lee for the technical info). It all makes sense now and good to know that your SDR should still be working fine. Another issue resolved and a bit more information into the collective knowledge bank - an extremely satisfying result all round !  :)

Best Regards and Safe Flying

Peter