Author Topic: Loss of Position  (Read 1804 times)

rogerabc

Loss of Position
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:48:00 pm »
I'm looking for help to diagnose an intermittent problem please.

During flight the iPad loses aircraft position & so I switch to "location services" (internal gps).

After flight the track log appears intact when played back on the aircrew website.

Position info was lost at time 11:43 & relavent section of the track file is attached in case anyone is able to decipher.

Config screenshots also attached to show device details.

Perhaps it's just a dodgy wifi dongle but I'd rather know than guess.

Thanks for any suggestions.

exfirepro

Re: Loss of Position
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:12:38 pm »
Hi Roger,

Your Home Screen shows no issues, and If the track replay is complete, PilotAware must have continued running throughout the flight. This sounds like the same connection issue, several others have had. If you haven’t already done so, set the ‘Device Connect Setting’ on the PilotAware Configure screen to ‘PilotAware UDP’, then after selecting ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’, this should ensure that your pad remains connected to PilotAware.

Regards

Peter

rogerabc

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:21:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply Peter.
However, I am already using those very settings.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:34 pm »
Hi again Roger,

Thanks for the feedback. I have taken another look right through the track file and GPS messages are present throughout. Can you confirm what Nav software you are using. If it is SkyDemon, it should report loss of gps specifically (and this will show as a break in the SkyDemon track). It should also specifically report loss of connection with PAW. Did you get any messages advising either of these?

It is of course possible that the WiFi dongle has gone faulty - especially with an older Classic unit. You can order a replacement from the PilotAware website if you want to try this.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:25:32 pm by exfirepro »

rogerabc

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:21 pm »
There was a notification from Sky Demon but I can't remember exactly what. That's what prompted me to switch the GPS source.
SD log is split in two but there's no obvious data missing.
I will try another wifi dongle & see if that helps.

DerekJ

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:13 am »
I had the same problem that I couldn't understand. I had lost position but when I played the track back later it was all there. PAW was running all the time, but not communicating to SD. Sent logs and home screen snapshot to PAW. Their response, you guessed it, was a power problem even though I was using the recommended Anker PowerBank. The info I sent showed voltage throttling which gives unreliable performance. Turns out the problem was the cable. Replaced with the original JuiceBitz cable and now sorted.