Author Topic: Which USB Port for RS 232 Cable?  (Read 1846 times)

auster

Which USB Port for RS 232 Cable?
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:57:54 am »
Just acquired the Rosetta and I'm setting it up. I want to confirm that I am getting this right. With the rear case off I see the GPS Dongle in the top centre USB port. The WIFI dongle is in the lower right port.

I now need to connect the RS 232 cable which will take the GPS signal to my Becker Mode S Transponder however the top right port is partially blocked by the GPS dongle. The lower centre port is also partially obstructed by the cable from the USB dongle but is accessible.

Do I used the lower centre USB port?

mariko

Re: Which USB Port for RS 232 Cable?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:56:50 am »
I suppose the bottom right dongle is the 1090 receiver.
Maybe you can use a cable like this to solve every problem

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:58:31 am by mariko »
Ciao
  Mariko

Admin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:09:20 am »
Just acquired the Rosetta and I'm setting it up. I want to confirm that I am getting this right. With the rear case off I see the GPS Dongle in the top centre USB port. The WIFI dongle is in the lower right port.

I now need to connect the RS 232 cable which will take the GPS signal to my Becker Mode S Transponder however the top right port is partially blocked by the GPS dongle. The lower centre port is also partially obstructed by the cable from the USB dongle but is accessible.

Do I used the lower centre USB port?

That would be fine, and would be identified as "Port 2"
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 11:58:56 am »
Hi Auster,

If you are using the recommended FTDI USB to RS232 cable, you will find that if you plug it into Port 2, the plastic ‘strain relief’ on the USB plug will slot nicely onto the lower case, effectively holding the plug into the port, though you might like to gently open up the semi-circular recess slightly to ensure a good fit. If you want to put the ‘upper case cover’ back, you need to open the ‘upper part of the hole’ on the cover large enough to let the cover drop over the strain relief and slide back into place without snagging.

Regards

Peter

auster

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:42:15 pm »
Thank you for the replies and they confirm my own thoughts. It will be the centre lower port (Port 2)  and yes, some gentle enlargement of the hole where the cable goes through the sliding cover will be required but is easily achieved.

Fired it up in the plane for the first time this afternoon (on the ground) and it certainly captured the satellites and a couple of planes doing circuits. An interesting learning process.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:48:08 pm »
Auster,

Good to hear you are making progress. Any problems or questions, please feel free to ask.  :)

Best Regards

Peter