Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 19540 times)

Ian Melville

Re: WiFi
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 08:23:16 pm »
I cannot access the ATOM through http://ognpaw.local, but can through the IP address.
I had left a monitor connected and can see the Bluetooth error message. Screen shot attached

exfirepro

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 08:41:10 pm »
Hi Ian,

I’m confused. If you haven’t yet set it up for WiFi, how have you got an IP address? That would imply you are connected via Ethernet, which might be what is stopping the WiFi Config option showing.

I set mine up via directly connected keyboard and monitor, with no connection to the router until I had managed to set up the WiFi. Have you tried that?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:43:07 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2020, 08:47:36 pm »
Yes there is a wired connection now. Lee requested it.

I did try it before connecting to LAN, nothing. Not tried it since Lee has had a poke around

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:49:11 pm by Ian Melville »

Ian Melville

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:14 pm »
Nope, just tried it. Rebooted without LAN and ran the config. Still no WiFi.

I am sure that the WiFi adaptor is not being recognised, hence will be omitted from the script.

Lee,
Don't know if the attached file is of any help? I don't know where or how to view the two reports, but is perhaps the second file?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:25:57 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2020, 10:22:16 pm »
Yes there is a wired connection now. Lee requested it.

I did try it before connecting to LAN, nothing. Not tried it since Lee has had a poke around

Thanks Ian, I understand. Just seems strange if as it seems we both used the same firmware version.

I’m starting to wonder if your download / card write has somehow got corrupted  - No doubt Lee will advise in due course.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2020, 09:55:49 am »
Hi Ian,

I’m confused. If you haven’t yet set it up for WiFi, how have you got an IP address? That would imply you are connected via Ethernet, which might be what is stopping the WiFi Config option showing.

I set mine up via directly connected keyboard and monitor, with no connection to the router until I had managed to set up the WiFi. Have you tried that?

Regards

Peter

This is unrelated, it is fine to have both network interfaces for configuration
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:18 am »
Hi Ian, Peter
I made a complete reinstall, so do not think it is a data corruption
Ian, I emailed your gmail account, not sure if you were looking at that
I saw the same Bluetooth issues as you
The hardware is reporting as one of the supported versions, I am led to think it is either mis-reporting, OR faulty
Ian if you are able to install a raspbian and see the wlan0 interface
This will indicate a software issue on our side, otherwise will confirm a hardware ussue
Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2020, 05:06:57 pm »
Peter, Since last night, I have run the config three times now with no option for WiFi config.

If you can get to the command prompt on the station in question, can you run:

lsusb

and

lspci

at the command prompt, post it, and can someone with a working Pi3B post the same?

I'm not sure about the Pi3B architecture, but either the PCI or the USB bus will list a WiFi adaptor, if the unit has a working one. It does not need drivers for the interface to be listed.

If that doesn't help, the I would suggest comparing the outputs of:

lshw

on a working Pi3B, and this one.

My gut feeling is that the WiFi adaptor will not be shown on the problem Pi3B.

Once the line for the adaptor is known, we can pipe the output of lshw to fgrep with a string to strip out all the other verbose stuff.

I haven't got a Pi3B here.

This only a suggestion, I'm nothing to do with PilotAware, I'm just an oik trying to suggest a quick hardware check.

Ian Melville

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2020, 08:02:40 pm »
Possibly not what you expected Steve.

steveu

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2020, 09:35:27 pm »
Possibly not what you expected Steve.

Definitely not, expected Debian to support both but obviously not, as you say, unless the OS has been reduced to a light version.

Checked those commands on a lappy running a Debian based distro before I posted them. It may be that a full version of Raspbian will support them, but I've only got a Pi2B here, although I suppose I could test with a USB dongle, but it wouldn't be the same.

If we get lsusb from a working Pi3B, it might show a Wifi device listed, if it does, that might help.

Just checked and lshw should be supported on full Raspbian, so it may not be on a light version...

This is the output from a Pi2B with no Wifi:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:42:39 pm by steveu »

Admin

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2020, 09:38:58 pm »
I think we need to determine if it is a hardware fault
Install a full raspbian, and if wlan is seen, then we know hardware is fine
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2020, 10:02:11 pm »
Hi Lee, I am 99% sure it is a hardware fault. The WiFi doesn't show in Raspbian either. It's not a new unit, it used to be in a PAW. I can only think that I withdrew it as it was faulty and forgot about it. Sadly my only Pi3B, so if I want to get rid of the cable accross the floor, I will have to cough up the dosh.

steveu

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2020, 01:17:45 pm »
Sadly my only Pi3B, so if I want to get rid of the cable accross the floor, I will have to cough up the dosh.

Is it worth lobbing in a sub £10 USB Wifi dongle running on the same chipset as the installed one?

exfirepro

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2020, 02:34:22 pm »
Steve,

Firmware is only configured to run the onboard WiFi.

Regards

Peter