Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 19475 times)

peter.seddon

WiFi
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:00:48 pm »
Does the latest software have WiFi connectivity, if not how can I enable it as the unit I want to install in the LGC launch point caravan only has a WiFi 4G unit for internet connection.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

Re: WiFi
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 05:05:38 pm »
Current software only has Wired connectivity only
I think Paul Sengupta added WiFi, I did have an action to try to include that into the base model

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
Yep. I recently renewed my "experimental" station using new software on a new PI 3 and I got Wifi working almost immediately, no problems.

I edited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file for which you have to unlock the read/write and then edit the permanent one which is /etc_org/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. So something like:

sudo /root/mount_rw.bash
sudo nano /etc_org/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then add in lines with your SSID and password:

network={
    ssid="<ssid>"
    psk="<password>"
}

Then set read-only again:

sudo /root/mount_ro.bash

and reboot.

I've set up a static IP address as well on mine so I can easily find it and log on using SSH, but that's not necessary just for it to run.

I *think* this time around that's all I did and it connected to my Wifi. I'm not in Guildford at the moment so I don't know if this is exactly correct but if it doesn't work, come back and I'll check.

peter.seddon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »
One more question. The upgraded software has ADS-B compatibility when a second SDR is plugged into the RPI , if only one is used will the software adapt and ignore the ADS-B part?
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:09:57 pm »
One more question. The upgraded software has ADS-B compatibility when a second SDR is plugged into the RPI , if only one is used will the software adapt and ignore the ADS-B part?

yes, when you run the configure script, it will identify a single SDR, which it will allocate to Flarm

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:16:51 pm »
Hi Peter S,

Does your 4G WiFi Router not have a spare Ethernet Port that you can plug an Ethernet cable from your OGN-R into? Probably easier than trying to set it up to connect via WiFi - especially if you’re not up to speed with Linux.

Regards

Peter R

peter.seddon

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:30:51 am »
The only connection to the WiFi unit is the charge port (Micro USB) so I'm forced to use WiFi.
Peter S
G-DDLA

peter.seddon

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:53:08 pm »
Yep. I recently renewed my "experimental" station using new software on a new PI 3 and I got Wifi working almost immediately, no problems.

I edited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file for which you have to unlock the read/write and then edit the permanent one which is /etc_org/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. So something like:

sudo /root/mount_rw.bash
sudo nano /etc_org/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then add in lines with your SSID and password:

network={
    ssid="<ssid>"
    psk="<password>"
}

Then set read-only again:

sudo /root/mount_ro.bash

and reboot.

I've set up a static IP address as well on mine so I can easily find it and log on using SSH, but that's not necessary just for it to run.

I *think* this time around that's all I did and it connected to my Wifi. I'm not in Guildford at the moment so I don't know if this is exactly correct but if it doesn't work, come back and I'll check.

Another question, when did you add the lines, before running the config script or after when it was up and running by stopping the service?
Peter S
G-DDLA

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »
After. I didn't bother stopping the service. I made the disk rw, edited the file, saved it (!), set the disk to ro, then rebooted.

peter.seddon

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »
Tried your WiFi setup and can't get it to work, are the <> necessary Ive tried it both with and without but it doesn't connect to me network.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:37:46 pm »
Hi Paul
Are you sure the service is enabled by default, do you know the service name ?
Thx
Lee

peter.seddon

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 07:45:14 pm »
Which service do you mean, I just followed Paul Sengupta's script.
Peter S
G-DDLA

Admin

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 09:11:13 pm »
Which service do you mean, I just followed Paul Sengupta's script.
My message was to Paul for clarification

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 10:51:16 pm »
I used a fresh install and all I did was add in the lines for my Wifi. I can try again if you like, when I get back to Guildford, see what happens. The only Pi I have here in Wales at the moment is an old 1B....not a B+!  ;D

No, the <> are just for showing that you input something there rather than just typing what's in there.

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 08:03:28 am »
Hi Paul,

Your post above just prompted a thought - and a question for Peter S...

Peter... What are you running the software on?

Paul is running his experimental station at Guildford on a Raspberry Pi3 - which has an inbuilt WiFi chip. Earlier versions of Raspberry Pi - including the ‘standard’ Pi2B ‘repurposed’ from old PAW Classics for OGN-R use don’t, so that option won’t work, unless Lee has ported the software to run an external WiFi chip - which I don’t think is the case!

Lee...?

Regards

Peter R
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 08:40:44 am by exfirepro »