Author Topic: A really weird one, PAW grabbed traffic and held it.  (Read 19042 times)

Vic

A really weird one, PAW grabbed traffic and held it.
« on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:35 pm »
A friend sent me this. He was flying Andrewsfield to Stapleford. G-ELEN was outside a hangar being prepped for flight. 

As he taxied past G-ELEN, his pilotaware put it over his aircraft in Skydemon. It remained there until he got three quarters of the way to Stapleford, warning him all the way, at which point he switched off his PAW due to the annoyance.

G-ELEN remained on the ground for the duration of his flight.

He sent me the attached screenshot and is using the latest PAW software and I can see nothing untoward with his configuration. I've asked him to send me the track log for that trip.

Ian Melville

Re: A really weird one, PAW grabbed traffic and held it.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
Is the log file available for Lee to look at when he gets back from the LAA Rally?

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 05:40:47 am »
Hi Vic,

That’s a new one to me. The only thing I can think of is that the Pilot of G-ELEN might have been trying to ‘configure’ their PAW as your friend taxied past and his/her tablet might have inadvertently connected to the wrong PAW - but I could of course be talking complete rubbish  :-\

As per Ian’s post above I guess Lee needs to see the Track Log. I’ll be very interested to hear the results.

Best Regards

Peter

Deker

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 09:17:37 am »
I had something similar a while back.
Flying at about 3,000ft on a steady track, an aircraft popped up on screen, then it's position remained at a constant distance and bearing from me although it heading about 90 degrees to my track for about 3 or 4 mins.
I can't remember if I reset SD or PAW, but it disappeared as soon as.

Deker

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »
Vic,

Thinking about this again in the cold light of day, can you check if your friend is running the latest (20190621) software - and if not, what version are they running?

This reminds me of a problem from some time back when a plane receiving Mode S and PAW lost one of them and effectively ‘dragged the other aircraft along’ - but Lee sorted it a long time back!

Regards

Peter

Vic

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:13:39 pm »
Hi Peter

Yes it's definately the latest SW version. His PAW is a fixed installation, I should get the TRK file on Tuesday

AdrianW

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:47:43 pm »
I just had a similar experience yesterday, flying Bidford back to Sussex. Getting airborne PAW came up with an alert of traffic 0.1m at our 3 o'clock. as we climbed that became 5 o'clock then 6 o'clock, always staying 0.1m distance, all the time with the large black bar similar to you have shown above with the warning. That stayed our entire route with a small red aircraft symbol superimposed above our symbol, but in reverse. After landing it all disappeared. Of course, after a short while from departure I figured this was a fault but the large black bar was annoying and hampering my Skydemon screen. With a turbulent flt anyway I could not find how to get rid of it. Most frustrating. I've got a permanent installation but when I get back to the airfield this week I'll get the flt track log and send it to Lee. Meantime I'll be contacting Keith to see what he has to say. I've only had PAW installed and running for 2 weeks and have had several issues which has severely dented my faith in PAW. Currently not sure the investment is worthwhile as I don't trust it.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 02:13:49 pm »
Hi Adrian,

Yes the track file is required
Can I ask do you have any other EC devices on board ?
eg. Flarm, Mode-S Transponder ?

Are they all using a common ICAO Code ?
What is your reg/icao code ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 02:23:08 pm by Admin »

AdrianW

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:52:42 am »
Hi Lee,
I have a funke mode S transponder connected to PAW for ADSB out, which I have confirmed with both Goodwood (local to me and running ADSB out test) and Solent Radar they are receiving. My reg is G-FOXW and my ICAO hex code is 406EB2. I spoke to Keith yesterday and when I next get to the airfield will run some more checks, tests and screen shots, including the track file for Sunday's flt, and send over to you.
Thanks
Adrian

grahambaker

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:13 am »
It makes me wonder whether there are two things at play here, a bug in SkyDemon that makes it continue to display traffic erroneously, and in the case of the OP, he’d actually connected to G-ELEN’s unsecured PAW while on the ground.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 02:44:44 pm »
Once we have the track data, we will be able to evaluate further

Vic

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 01:47:52 pm »
My friend went to collect the track log and found ( after initially sending me the return .TRK) that only that file was available, not the outbound. He's not 100% certain that he didn't delete it (is there a confirmation?) in one of his attempts to collect  it though. .  :-\

Graham, if he'd have connected to G-ELEN's PAW then surely it would have shown his own aircraft as a 'target' and shown him as stationary. ..And it certainly wouldn't have kept the connection for six miles out?

grahambaker

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »
Graham, if he'd have connected to G-ELEN's PAW then surely it would have shown his own aircraft as a 'target' and shown him as stationary. ..And it certainly wouldn't have kept the connection for six miles out?

That's what led me to speculate that there may be two issues interplaying here, as you are not the only person who seems to have had 'persistent' non-existent traffic being displayed.

HarryS

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 03:04:09 pm »
I have also seen this in Skydemon- all the way from Fairoaks to Bolt head and from Lands end to Popham.  Hard install in the Aircraft so will need to plug into the unit to download the data files.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 04:21:28 pm »
I need a track file to determine if we have latched traffic or not
Thx
Lee