Author Topic: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade  (Read 78317 times)

GeoffreyC

Re: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 07:24:56 am »
Do you not have a Windows PC you can try to format the card with?

Another option is to buy a pre-written SD card. Or get someone who lives near you to try it. Where do you live?

I'm going to try to find a Windows PC as my next step, yes.   As much as anything else its whether others have had these issues, its Mac specific, or whatever.

Guess I could buy a preformated SD card, but then I'm spending money that could be part way to upgrading to a Rosetta.

Thanks, Geoffrey

grahambaker

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2019, 09:25:05 am »
Don’t lose heart with your Mac @GeoffreyC.

I downloaded the MacOS version of SD Card Formatter 5.0.1, and I’ve used it several times to format the SD cards for PAW upgrades and it’s worked first time, every time I’ve done it.

russp

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2019, 01:56:08 pm »
Don’t lose heart with your Mac @GeoffreyC.

I downloaded the MacOS version of SD Card Formatter 5.0.1, and I’ve used it several times to format the SD cards for PAW upgrades and it’s worked first time, every time I’ve done it.

I've done two now with a macbook pro with no issues with SD Card Formatter 5.0.1 too.

CloudHound

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2019, 11:28:41 pm »
This is all beyond me.

I bought the pre-formatted card as manipulating software is in my blindspot.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:57 am »
I had a go with formatter V4 on a Windows PC earlier. I put the resulting card in my Pi 3 (Rosetta) which I plugged into my TV. It froze at 3%. I power reset it and it started again and carried on to completion this time.

CloudHound

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2019, 10:38:29 am »
I've tried the SD card in my HP Laptop.

Error messages about not recognised and format came up. Some of the dates appeared to be from 2018, is that significant?

SGS66

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2019, 11:05:12 am »
Hi Cloudhound,
If you bought the micro SD from PILOTAWARE and it has the latest software on it why not put it into your PAW and see what happens ?

exfirepro

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2019, 07:02:53 pm »
Hi CH,

Edited after re-reading your earlier posts

That’s quite normal - it’s because you are trying to run a card which has already been repartitioned into 4 partitions loaded with Linux software to suit PilotAware - on a Windows PC.

If it’s the new card you bought from PilotAware, put it into your PAW, power up and leave well alone for at least 20 minutes, or until the PAW WiFi Hotspot re-appears on your tablet or phone - n.b. any interfering before this point may corrupt the card. This may have already happened if you removed the card or powered down your unit before it had fully finished unpacking the software when you first tried it. If this is the case, get back in touch with support@pilotaware.com

For anyone else reading this, if trying to reformat a previously used card, just ignore the warnings and run SDFormatter with ‘Full Overwrite with Size Adjustment’ on the primary microSD drive (often drive H - Recovery). SDFormatter will then do the needful.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:47:27 pm by exfirepro »

CloudHound

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:41 pm »
SGS66 and Exfirepro
From my opening post
Trying to install new pre-loaded Micro SD card V20190621.

And guess what? 90 blinking minutes later nothing has happened. I'm not surprised as I've had a lifetime of things going wrong.
Rosetta with good supply of lecky. Took screen shot of 192.168.1.1 data and turned it off.
Carefully laid old one out in same orientation and fitted new one the same.
Turned back on - saw flashing lights - went for me tea.

With the cover off I see the red LED steady and the green one flashing. Is this right.

What's my next move?

So I'm not trying to reformat as I don't know what that means. I put the card into my PC in the absence of any better advice.

Kinda feeling cast adrift at the mo. :(

SGS66

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »
Sorry CH did not see your first post - over then to the experts. There are a lot of them about on this forum so do not despair. In the meantime have you tried using your old card and does it work ok ?
Also say where you are as some expert might be in your neck of the woods.

Ian Melville

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2019, 06:49:14 am »
SGS66 and Exfirepro
From my opening post
Trying to install new pre-loaded Micro SD card V20190621.

And guess what? 90 blinking minutes later nothing has happened. I'm not surprised as I've had a lifetime of things going wrong.
Rosetta with good supply of lecky. Took screen shot of 192.168.1.1 data and turned it off.
Carefully laid old one out in same orientation and fitted new one the same.
Turned back on - saw flashing lights - went for me tea.

With the cover off I see the red LED steady and the green one flashing. Is this right.

What's my next move?

So I'm not trying to reformat as I don't know what that means. I put the card into my PC in the absence of any better advice.

Kinda feeling cast adrift at the mo. :(

The Preformatted and preloaded card should go into your PAW, not your PC

Admin

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 07:21:42 am »
You should be going straight to step 12
https://pilotaware.com/knowledge-base/manual-software-update/

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:47 am »
@CloudHound

You have certainly NOT been ‘cast adrift’. We appreciate that a major update like this doesn’t always run smoothly and will pull out all the stops to make sure everyone can achieve a satisfactory result.

@ Lee,

From CH’s OP he already tried the standard pre-loaded card install with no result after 90 minutes.

In light of previous reports (e.g. the one from Paul Sengupta) it would certainly be worth retrying the install, but it looks to me like the card may have been corrupted, perhaps by a power interruption during unpacking, ....which is why I suggested getting in touch with Ash at support@pilotaware.com

For General info,

I upgraded a mate’s Classic yesterday evening by reformatting a previously used 8Gb card (his original was an early 4Gb one), copied the new software over, popped the card in and booted the unit (with a monitor attached to monitor progress). Unpacking was a bit slow at first - at one point in fact I thought it had frozen * - but left to its own devices it ran through fine and after waiting until the PAW WiFi appeared, I was able to log back in and reset the ‘Config’. Now all working as expected.

* which is why we recommend leaving it for at least 20 minutes and until the PAW WiFi hotspot reappears before attempting to reconnect.

This shows that the update does work - even on one of the early Classic Units.

@CH please keep us posted and let us know when you have a satisfactory resolution.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
@CloudHound
where are you based, I am sure we can find somebody nearby who can resolve this issue in a short time.

Thx
Lee

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2019, 11:08:24 am »
No problem in formatting or installing to a classic Rasp Pi. However on USB port 1 I have a RS232 converter Port 1 set to Traffic Dynon with a Baud rate of 19200. This interface enabled me to send traffic data to my MGL iEFIS for overlaid traffic data and give me MGL iEFIS traffic audio warnings. There is no such option in this version. Has it been renamed and if so to what??
David Vale, G-OCAD