Author Topic: Spacing of antenna  (Read 5532 times)

the_top_pilot

Spacing of antenna
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:39 pm »
Hello PilotAware users,

What are users feelings about the positioning/spacing of antenna.

Are any of you having issues?

Steve

Robski

Re: Spacing of antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:09:05 pm »
See here for more detail than you probably want!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

the_top_pilot

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:34:07 pm »
That is great info thanks. I was thinking more if the RX/TX ARF Antenna effected the reception of the ADS-B if they were co-positioned?
How Close have people put them without issues.

ianfallon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:39:29 pm »
Not seen any problems with the ADS-B side with the ARF antenna 3 inches from it!

the_top_pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 04:33:03 pm »
With the supplied DVB-T aerial I had no issues, but on Sunday I made a tuned 1/2 wave dipole which on my RadarBox produced stunning results. When I put this on my 2nd PilotAware I get occasional blanking of the ADS-B (all aircraft come and go sporadically).

Steve

Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »
With the supplied DVB-T aerial I had no issues, but on Sunday I made a tuned 1/2 wave dipole which on my RadarBox produced stunning results. When I put this on my 2nd PilotAware I get occasional blanking of the ADS-B (all aircraft come and go sporadically).

Steve

This 'blanking' as you mention, I think is nothing to do with PilotAware.
I have watched the data going from PilotAware to the NAV device, and it is constant every 1 second you get an update
you can see this yourself if you connect your PC wirelessly to PilotAware and connect PuTTY to 192.168.1.1 port 2000
then enter the passkey '6000'

the_top_pilot

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:55:01 pm »
Thank you Lee,

I will have a look at that.

I am still looking at a simple mixer for the audio and it is looking like 2 potentiometers may be enough.

Steve

the_top_pilot

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »
Lee,

Good news it was all my error.
The PAW I was using has a built in GPS. I was continuing to use CollisionAware when I shouldn't. This was causing the conflict. Once I stopped using CollisionAware the blanking stopped.

Steve

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:54:02 pm »
Lee,

Good news it was all my error.
The PAW I was using has a built in GPS. I was continuing to use CollisionAware when I shouldn't. This was causing the conflict. Once I stopped using CollisionAware the blanking stopped.

Steve

That is a great find, I can code around that. I should assume an external in preference to collisionaware unless it loses its fix
Thx
Lee