Author Topic: Unable to Upgrade Software  (Read 4151 times)

Jerry Palmer

Unable to Upgrade Software
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:41:39 pm »
Chaps ... some guidance if I may ask (I have noted points 1,2,3 in the notes contained in 'Before you Post').

I have carefully followed all helpful hints on the forum and followed the instructions in the Instruction. Manual.  I have tried both wifi and (high quality) ethernet cable alone (leaving for 45 minutes).  I have also tried a memory stick (though I believe the software I have presently won't support this (20160530)).  I have entered the new Licence-Key details on the Config. page, all to no avail.  I just wonder if anyone might be able to help, please.  This is my first attempt to upgrade.

Many thanks

Jerry Palmer.

Ian Melville

Re: Unable to Upgrade Software
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:52:28 pm »
Hi Jerry, since your version is old, you will be better off doing a wipe of the SD card and loading a new image to it. Make sure you have made a note of all the settings you want to keep and saved any tracks.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:53:21 pm »
Chaps ... some guidance if I may ask (I have noted points 1,2,3 in the notes contained in 'Before you Post').

I have carefully followed all helpful hints on the forum and followed the instructions in the Instruction. Manual.  I have tried both wifi and (high quality) ethernet cable alone (leaving for 45 minutes).  I have also tried a memory stick (though I believe the software I have presently won't support this (20160530)).  I have entered the new Licence-Key details on the Config. page, all to no avail.  I just wonder if anyone might be able to help, please.  This is my first attempt to upgrade.

Many thanks

Jerry Palmer.

Hi Jerry

Changing the connection to DHCP will cure it but your software is so old that you will not have the option. As Ian say best to do a manual upgrade

This can be done by following the instructions here

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160901-Manual-Software-Upgrade-1.pdf

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:22:35 am »
Hi Ian and Keith
Thank you both very much for your quick replies ... very much appreciated.
I will get a micro SD carrier to use in my iMac, clean the card and re-load.
Many thanks, chaps.
Best wishes
Jerry

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »
Hi Guys ... Looks like all is resolved and working well.  Thank you again for your suggestions.
Back to the Op. Instructions now, to ensure correct config. settings.
Happy landings ...  :)
Jerry

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
Great, thanks for the update.

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:26:04 pm »
Jerry
Isn't it a good feeling when the plan works.
No need to fear a manual download now eh?
I say this just to encourage others

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
Jerry,

I came to this thread late and saw you were in capable hands, so have been observing from the sidelines rather than possibly create confusion. Now you have got things running however, I thought it worth clarifying a couple of points for the benefit of others who may refer to this thread later.

In your first post, you say
I have tried both wifi and (high quality) ethernet cable alone (leaving for 45 minutes).  I have also tried a memory stick (though I believe the software I have presently won't support this (20160530)).

Upgrade via WiFi is a non-starter as the PAW WiFi is configured as a host ( i.e. transmitter) not a receiver, so can't download from an external source.

Hardwired Ethernet updates were one of  the first 'advances' introduced by Lee to save us having to do a manual update by carrying out a full software reinstall every time, which can take up to an hour and as you will have seen requires re-entering your licence and aircraft details and configuration settings every time. Ethernet update got round these problems and generally works very well unless your router tries to use the same IP address for the Ethernet connection as is already being used for the PAW WiFi, in which case this method will ONLY work if you REMOVE the PAW Wifi dongle BEFORE POWERING UP THE PAW for the period of the download.

To address these issues and allow quick and easy updating of units away from a router (e.g. in the plane), Lee introduced update by USB stick in mid 2016, but the software needed for PAW to read from and write to memory sticks was only introduced for 'public use' in software release 20160820, hence why you can't upgrade direct from 20160530 by that method.

Having done a manual upgrade to 20160820 or later,* the USB stick method is by far the quickest and most reliable method of updating PilotAware.

* Newer units will already be using suitable software to support update by USB.

There are, however a couple of points users need to be aware of.

The USB stick needs to be FAT32 format.

The software update must be downloaded from http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/ and copied to the root (top level) of the memory stick - NOT inside a folder.

The NAME of the file MUST NOT be changed - it must be 'pilotaware.pgp' - if using a Windows PC be careful, if Windows is set to 'hide known file extensions', the filename may just show as 'pilotaware' - in this case DON'T add .pgp as you will in effect be re-naming the file to 'pilotaware.pgp.(.pgp)' which won't be recognised. (I appreciate you are using an iMac, but we have had several instances of this, so I include it for the benefit of Windows users).

The USB update is carried out with the PAW running and simply involves inserting the stick, waiting a few moments, selecting the 'Update' Tab, clicking 'Check for Updates', then clicking 'Install' when the new update appears. This generally only takes a few minutes and involves an auto-reboot. Once the PAW wifi re-appears, reconnect (if your device hasn't done so automatically), check the Home Screen and Configuration settiings (which, using this method should ONLY need resetting if there has been a significant change to the Configure Screen itself).

If all is well, simply remove the USB stick and 'Hey Presto!' All done.

An additional benefit is that any number of PilotAwares can be upgraded from the same memory stick.

Just a couple of warnings....

Do NOT attempt to update via memory stick via a USB port which you have  configured for ADSB OUT, FLARM IN or similar. With a standard PilotAware, this isn't an issue - just use the 'spare' empty USB port. If you have configured the 'spare' port for another use however, temporarily remove the GPS or SDR dongle (which you can safely do with the unit running) and use that port for USB update instead.

DO NOT REMOVE THE WIFI DONGLE WHEN THE PAW IS RUNNING !

When you go to do your next update, remember to delete the old '.pgp' from your USB stick before downloading the new one, or the new one will automatically be given a different name, which won't be recognised by PAW.

Another additional benefit of the USB stick reader is that it easily allows downloading of Track Logs for analysis in the event of any issues with the PAW or for technical investigation. Simply insert the stick, go to the 'Tracks' tab, check that there is enough space on your stick and press 'Synch All' - or Synch individual tracks. PilotAware will create a 'PilotAware / Tracks' 'Folder and do the rest, though this may take several minutes if you have a lot of track files. You don't of course need to do this, it's just a useful additional feature.

Sorry this has become a bit long-winded, but hopefully it will help clarify the situation for others.

Glad you have got yours sorted.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:30:39 am by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 11:37:30 pm »
Great information, Peter, because it combines the various bits and pieces all over the forum regarding the update process  :)

This should either/and be a 'sticky' or copied and pasted into the 'how to' guide (I've already printed it though as I know I'll need it one day).