Author Topic: Cant see any traffic  (Read 6613 times)

pilot2017

Cant see any traffic
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:02:22 pm »
Cant see any traffic. And how do I activate Mode C/S  detection?
See attached log.

exfirepro

Re: Cant see any traffic
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »
Hi,

The Mode C/S enable option only appears on the Configure Screen when a PilotAware RF Bridge is installed and working.

Is this a PilotAware Classic Kit? It looks like there is no radio Bridge Board connected, or the board might be wrongly located on the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins. The other thing that will stop the radio starting is if the unit doesn't have a good GPS fix as it can't transmit its position until it knows where it is. Have you followed the setup instructions fully and set it up (preferably outdoors) where the GPS dongle can get a good view of the sky to obtain its initial satellite fix? On first boot, this can take up to 20 minutes.

Can you post a screengrab of the 'Home' Screen.

Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:13:19 pm by exfirepro »

pilot2017

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »
Yes, this is a Pilotaware Classic Kit. And yes I have followed the setup instructions.
See picture of home screen

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
Thank you,

The screenshot confirms that the Raspberry Pi is not seeing the transmitter section of the PilotAware RF Bridge board. (TRX - Unavailable) although, it is reporting a pressure altitude from the barometric sensor - which is also on the 'Bridge' board and also confirms the presence of a GPS fix. We have had one other instance of a unit not seeing the TRX recently, though it was with a 'Bridge' board bought a year ago to add to a 'homebuilt' PilotAware, but only recently added. This should not be an issue in your case as you say you bought the unit as a complete kit.

I trust you have checked that the board is correctly mounted on all 40 of the GPIO pins to the Raspberry Pi connector. If so, it looks like you might well have a faulty unit, which is very unusual as they are pre-assembled and tested prior to dispatch. Unfortunately it is not easy to tell remotely whether the fault is with the Bridge or the Raspberry Pi, so you may need to return the complete unit for evaluation /replacement.

To do so, you need to get in touch with PilotAware Hardware via the Contact form on... http://pilotawarehardware.com/contact-us/

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:52:12 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
One thing I would ask to check is the power supply
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:28:19 am »
Hi again,

As Lee advises, in the case of problems, it's always worth checking the power supply! It MUST be capable of supplying a minimum of 2 amps at 5 volts and you must use the supplied power lead or an alternative with equivalent heavy duty power wires (minimum 20 AWG), though I would be surprised if this is the issue in your case viz. the Mode C/S select option not appearing on the Configure Screen. I think it is much more likely that the problem is a connectivity issue between the Raspberry Pi and the RF Bridge.

From the screen grabs I take it that you are not in the UK (Norway?). Are you able to try a manual reinstall of the software before returning the unit? This requires a full overwrite  reformat of the microSD card with Size Adjustment 'ON' using SD formatter and then downloading and re-installing a fresh copy of the software from http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk as per the manual software update instructions in pages 44/45 of the PilotAware Operating Manual - available on ...

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/170619-Operating-Instructions-.pdf

Sounds complicated, but once you have done it, it becomes straightforward and was until relatively recently the only way we could do updates. I'm not certain it will help, but it would certainly be worth a try if you are happy to give it a go.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:09 am »
...though I would be surprised if this is the issue in your case viz. the Mode C/S select option not appearing on the Configure Screen.

Actually, the Mode C/S menu does not become active, until comms with the radio is established, so this is definitely why it does not appear, the question is why does the radio not startup.

Thx
Lee

pilot2017

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:09:38 pm »
Did plug it into a monitor and it did ask for login, is this normal?

Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
This all looks fine, I think we need to arrange a replacement, please contact Dave Styles at

pilotawarehardware@gmail.com

Thx
Lee

pilot2017

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:10:03 pm »
Why do I not get a replay on the email I did send to pilotawarehardware@gmail.com ??

I did a manual reinstall of the software, but same problem...flix fix this problem asap!!

pilot2017

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:59:40 am »
???

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:17:05 pm »
Hi
Dave is on holiday for two weeks and is on a small island with little internet.
Sorry for the delay but unfortunately it's that time of the year.
You will get sorted as soon as possible

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:02 am »
I know the feeling. At present I too am on an island with very little internet - It's called Great (sic) Britain  >:(

Regards

Peter

pilot2017

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:24 am »
Still no answer on my email

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:59 am »
I have sent Lee a PM to see if we can chase this up.

Regards

Peter