Author Topic: How do you configure "don't advertise as router" mode for the Paw wifi?  (Read 4130 times)

trapdoor

Been out of the loop since last November due to having a u/s aircraft and work commitments. But today, updated my license key, and updated the software.

I read that there is supposed to be a facility where the PAW doesn't advertise as a router but can't see how this is configured and looking at the Wifi setting on my iPad, it appears to still be saying the router is the PAW 192.168.1.1 which also seems to stop my using Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone hotspot.

Sorry if this has been dealt with before but can't see anything obvious.

Ian Melville

If you have updated to the latest PAW version, there is no config as such. Though it would be wise to check you have the latest Kernel 4.1x if you did an incremental update. First I would suggest you delete the wireless connection in your tablet (forget network) and let it refind the PAW.
If your Kernel is 3.xx it would be best to reformat the SD card and do a full install.

trapdoor

Ok thanks Ian.

I 'think' it's on Kernel 3.something ... isn't that updated with the USB update then?

Sorry, I've not been following any of this since the autumn last year, only managed to pull the PAW out of the aircraft on Friday after our extended flight test, updated my expired license on the thing and attempted to do a network update which didn't work, so have had to try and find the alternative update info.

I assumed I didn't need to do a full SD format and copy, but are you suggesting that is what I need to do to get to the latest kernel version or should it have updated by the USB update?

Ian Melville

You will need to do a wipe of the SD card as the USB stick method will not update the Kernel.

If you think about it the Kernal is the bit that is running the USB update process, and cannot shut its self down to update its self. Bit like trying to operate on your own brain 😳

BTW, you will still need to delete and renew the wireless network connection on your tablet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:48:40 am by Ian Melville »

Admin

This should work on version 3.x, this was one of the tests I performed.

Can you give us the history of this device, ie homebuild, classic, 1st installed version etc

Thx
Lee

trapdoor

Lee, it was one of your first commercially produced 'kits' with the replacement P3i radio and Baro board.

To be honest I cannot recall the 1st installed version as that was over a year ago ... as i say, because the Pup has been Tech since last November for various reasons (plus having the 8.33khz radio fitted) I have been almost fully out of the loop for 9 months and it seems things have moved on a fair bit - not least I had to renew PAW license and my SD subscriptions too 😳

Only just got back in from being called in to work so I'll have a look at rebuilding an SD card later....

trapdoor

Ok, reinstalled on a new SD card.

I now have ...

Kernel 4.9.35-v7+
PAW Version 20170721

Looking at the network info under the newly setup PAW network, it is still showing 192.168.1.1 as the router. Attempting to connect to my iPhone hotspot via Bluetooth, it attaches but seems not to want to communicate out that route, presumably because the iPad thinks the PAW is the router, and the connection shows 'no internet connection' again indicating it believes the wifi network is the gateway.

So, complete new PAW image, new network setup ... doesn't appear to work as expected...??

Edit, scrub that, just done an iPad reboot and it now does appear to connect happily via my BLuetooth hotspot ...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:38:51 pm by trapdoor »

trapdoor

See attached...