Author Topic: USB Ports  (Read 3564 times)

Annep

USB Ports
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:09:56 pm »
We have now connected our power flarm core into the pilot aware ! 👍

Now we'd like to connect our transponder for ads-b out, but we've no spare USB ports?

The pfc has gps in, but I'm guessing we can't remove the gps from the pilot aware?

So can we use a splitter cable or is there another way of doing this?

exfirepro

Re: USB Ports
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:25:40 pm »
Hi Annep,

PilotAware is configured so that it's first choice is its own GPS, because we had some issues when running it off the GPS in FlarmMouse (mainly due to the small size of the FlarmMouse GPS antenna), but if you simply remove the PilotAware GPS, it should automatically run on the GPS data from your PFC, provided the PFC is configured to output both FLARM Data and Navigation Data.

That will then allow you to configure the 'unused' USB port for ADSB out.

Regards

Peter
(PilotAware Engineering Team)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:51:58 pm »
I thought about this a while back - if the input from the Flarm mouse is just an input and the output to the transponder is just an output, assuming the same baud rate, would it be possible to configure the PAW so it does both on the same port?

Strange one for baud rates for sure though.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:24:36 am »
I tried this and it does work. Providing both devices require the same Baud rate, stop and parity bits.

Annep

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »
When I go to the power flarm d-sub DE9 connections it lists,

1 Audio out
2. Tx, core sends (RS-232)
3. Rx, core sends (RS-232)
4.Do not connect
5. GND
6. Do not connect
7+12v to +32v DC power supply
8 core supplies +5v DC for pda
9 Core supplies +3v DC for display

There doesn't seem to be an option for GPS out?

Does anyone have any suggestions, when I've tried the pilot aware without the GPS attached it does not find it as we currently have it connected - which is Rx, Tx and ground ?

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:13:20 pm »
Annep,

You need to configure your PowerFLARM using the FLARM configuration tool on flarm.com to output FLARM data and  navigation data, then PF does this automatically via pin 2 and ground.

Regards

Peter

Annep

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:40:47 am »
I've been back to the flarm configuration tool, but I'm still not getting a GPS out, any tips please?

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »
Can you confirm whether you are definitely getting FLARM data from the PFC. To do this you need to dial into PilotAware from your tablet on 192.168.1.1 and select the Traffic Screen. What you are looking for here is aircraft showing an 'F' (for FLARM) in the 'Mode' column. You will of course ideally need to be within PFC range of glider or other known FLARM traffic to test this. Another alternative is to temporarily disconnect the 1090 MHz antenna (the thin one) from the PilotAware or remove the dongle, to temporarily prevent it receiving ADSB or Mode C/S traffic. This will not cause any problems as this side of PilotAware is receive only. Due to the way PilotAware combines the two data streams, you should still see CAT traffic on the traffic screen but now reporting as 'Mode CSAF' to denote that the 'source' is your PFC.

If you are receiving FLARM traffic, but not getting GPS data, there must be a problem with the way you have configured your PFC. If so get back to me and I'll go through the FLARM Config with you.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:41:39 pm by exfirepro »