Author Topic: What is OGN-R and How To Use This New Topic  (Read 18314 times)

Keithvinning

What is OGN-R and How To Use This New Topic
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:57:22 am »
OGN-PilotAware Uplink progress.                     July 2017.

Last December PilotAware joined with the OGN to enhance the OGN Network so that aircraft equipped with PilotAware units can see gliders equipped with FLARM or OGN trackers. This has been done to increase safety between powered aircraft and gliders. By April 4 existing OGN sites had been upgraded to OGN-R sites. These are at Bidford, Shennington, Husbands Bosworth and Corby (Stoke). In addition, a new site was introduced at Wellesbourne Airfield.

The trial was very successful and now PilotAware equipped aircraft flying in the midlands are able to be alerted of gliders in their area. By going to the Open Glider website at http://ognrange.onglide.com and in the 'Show All, Choose' box insert PW% you will after resizing the screen see the extent of the OGN-R coverage. (Five other sites have also been installed at Balerno Wilmcote, Popham, Thame and Guildford in recent weeks but these are not yet optimum performance).

The trial has met all expectations and has received much critical acclaim from users who are able to see when they are under the influence of the OGN uplink. We have introduced changes to PilotAware RADAR in the latest software so that it shows how many base stations you are receiving.

The plan is now to roll out the enhancement of other existing OGN sites and also to use the Powered Flying community to fill in the gaps. With a useful 30Km range each station will provide overlap and redundancy.

The project is now looking for Funding, Champions and Sites.

Funding, we hope that clubs, individuals and organisations will muster their resources and fund individual sites. Installation of a brand-new site should be less than £250 per site using commercially available antennas. An upgrade will be half of this. PilotAware will be providing the 869.5MHz Radio Bridge and Antenna at a discounted price and it required no license. A site will need power, the internet (it doesn’t have to be fast) and somewhere to mount the antennas. 

Champions, we will be looking for Champions to co-ordinate the installation of ground stations on geographical areas. The software has been produced to make individual site configuration easy. 

Sites, as well as the existing OGN sites, we are exhorting powered flying clubs, individual users and organisations to fill in the gaps.

This new Topic will spawn new threads as the project progresses. So please address all queries about OGN-R here.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:27:07 pm by Keithvinning »

Giver

Re: What is OGN-R and How To Use This New Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:47:57 am »
Yesterday flying up to leicester the PAWs worked brilliantly, warned of the glider and both of us took
non stressful avoiding action,
Definitely worth having in all aircraft IMO, Great safety and situational awareness tool,

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:38:16 am »
You were no doubt picking this glider up from the OGN-R stations at Husbands Bosworth and or Stoke near Corby
The new software shows how many stations are being picked up on the RADAR screen.
Where is your home base? Now you have seen how good it is perhaps you should think about installing an OGN-R there. About £250 will alert PilotAware users for 30km or more and you will be contributing to the network in your area.

Keithvinning

How to Install Your OGN-R Receiver.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:48:37 pm »
Instructions on how you can install an OGN-R Station have now been uploaded to the PilotAware website pilotaware.com

Instructions on how to install an OGN-R station from scratch an be found at  http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Building-an-OGN-PAW-Uplink.pdf The parts cost will be £250 or less. There is no yearly subscription.

Instructions on how to upgrade an existing OGN Receiver to a PilotAware OGN-R uplink http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Enhansing-an-existing-OGN-site..pdf The parts cost will be £100 or less. there is no yearly subscription.

If you are interested in supporting this great initiate and need further information please email ogn@pilotAware.com

dave_kent

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:00:47 pm »
I flew from Rochester to Goodwood on Saturday, but didn't see any sign of OGN on my Skydemon display.  It might be me, but according to the ognrange.onglide.com "Likely Coverage" all sites are either red or mauve.  Are they all down?

I hope it's something I've done wrong!

Thanks, Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:41:46 pm »
Hi Dave,

They certainly weren’t all down. Check your SkyDemon ‘Show within vertically’ filters. If the ground stations are outside your filter threshold you won’t see them.

Regards

Peter

dave_kent

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:04:29 pm »
Thanks Peter - I'll check that this weekend.

Regarding the "http://ognrange.onglide.com/?#,coverage,recent,51.86699_2.38341,6,#80000040:#008000ff,circles;" website - is this no longer reporting correctly?

D

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 09:41:24 pm »
Hi Dave,

You’re right, the site seems to be down. Try this alternative....

https://ognrange.newacecorp.com

I’ll post over on the OGN Forum to let the owner know.

Regards

Peter

dave_kent

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 08:35:01 am »
Thanks - looks much more healthy!

jekroth

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:28:21 pm »
WARNING
Something that the manufacturer does not talk about is that Piloteawere Rosetta is completely useless if you have Android and are outside the UK.

With PAW connected to Android, a program such as Skydemon cannot retrieve notes, weather, radio FRQ etc. aviation safety important data. PAW blocks mobile network access. Information that is significantly more important than any aircraft in the area

Admin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 06:38:17 pm »
With PAW connected to Android, a program such as Skydemon cannot retrieve notes, weather, radio FRQ etc. aviation safety important data. PAW blocks mobile network access. Information that is significantly more important than any aircraft in the area
Hi Jekroth
How can PAW block the mobile network access ?
This is an issue in the logic on Android, it does not understand that PAW is not a gateway, and tries to route IP traffic incorrectly.
I understand there are settings in Android to stop this from happening, but it is usually a setting in the device itself.
PAW cannot tell the device what it can and cannot do, all it can do is tell the Android device "I am not a router/gateway".

A quick google and I found the following
P‌lease note that I have found an app on Android (Speedify) which allows me to be connected both at the same time on the wifi and the 4G connection. Therefore, I manage to have last minute weather/wind information on the 4G even if I am connected to the wifi.

Thx
Lee