Author Topic: Cant download new version  (Read 13707 times)

Smaragd

Re: Cant download new version
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 10:20:29 am »
Checked format of stick - FAT. Tried another stick with FAT32 - worked OK! Thanks for the help.

exfirepro

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 10:56:42 am »
Thanks for the feedback. So it looks like FAT32 is the best option. I have tried FAT32 sticks up to 64 Gb USB 2 and USB 3 - all work fine.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:12:17 pm by exfirepro »

AlanG

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 11:46:03 am »
Hi
I can confirm that I have a mem stick formatted as FAT which used to work but several upgrades ago flatly refused to do the business.
Now I always use FAT 32.  No problems.
Alan

Ian Melville

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:04 pm »
Typical isn't it went out to the airfield to do battle with the rouge PAW mentioned above. Armed myself with two USB pen drives, one  with FAT and one FAT32, each with the update file. Backing that up with a reformatted SD card with the installation files on it just in case, and a spare PAW complete with all bits.

Tried the FAT32 first and it worked as advertised and did the update with no fuss. Bet if I had turned up with just the one pen drive drive it would have failed again. :-\

What was different? The previous pen drive was corrupted and locked by the last attempt to update, so this time used a new pen drive with the FAT32 as supplied (I.e. I didn't reformat it)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:43:36 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 05:43:57 pm »
Useful feedback though Ian.

Regards

Peter

bnmont

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 08:40:32 pm »
I have just had a bit of trouble updating to version 20170721.
Using a usb stick as I have done before, downloaded the software made sure was renamed to pilotaware.pgp, booted up PAW got home page up on 192.168.1.1 put in the usb stick pressed check for updates button. Nothing. Reformatted Fat32 re downloaded software, renamed to pilotaware.pgp followed instructions still nothing. Renamed file to pilotaware (only). Same method software installed straight away. So whats going on?

Regards Brian

Ian Melville

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 09:14:26 pm »
Check your PC has not hidden known file extensions (I hate that function). You may have been naming the file PilotAware.pgp.pgp. IIRC the file name is also case sensitive and the P and A should be capitalised? Cannot find that in the latest manual though.

Admin

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 09:52:09 pm »
The file should be

pilotaware.pgp

All lower case, and Ian is right, beware of renaming to pilotaware.pgp.pgp

Thx
Lee

cheeky172

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 11:32:42 pm »
I am having exactly the same problem.

Ian Melville

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:22 am »
What have you checked?

Admin

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »
I am having exactly the same problem.

Hi Neil,
Can you elaborate on the problem ?
is it from Ethernet, or USB you are trying ?
if USB is the USB stick correctly formatted as FAT32 ?
and finally is the name correct on the memory stick 'pilotaware.pgp' (ensuring that Windows is not naming pilotaware.pgp.pgp)

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »
I have just had a bit of trouble updating to version 20170721.
Using a usb stick as I have done before, downloaded the software made sure was renamed to pilotaware.pgp, booted up PAW got home page up on 192.168.1.1 put in the usb stick pressed check for updates button. Nothing. Reformatted Fat32 re downloaded software, renamed to pilotaware.pgp followed instructions still nothing. Renamed file to pilotaware (only). Same method software installed straight away. So whats going on?

Regards Brian

Brian, to clarify - are you saying you have now successfully upgraded ?
If so I think you answered your own question, you changed the name from
pilotaware.pgp.pgp to pilotaware.pgp

Depending upon how you have Windows set up, it sometimes hides the file extension in the file browser, so calling the file pilotaware.pgp, actually prepends this to .pgp

https://www.howtohaven.com/system/show-file-extensions-in-windows-explorer.shtml

Thx
Lee

cheeky172

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:26 pm »
Hi All,
I can't download the new software.
I have tried the following.
Over the net which worked last time, plugged in the router left it 30 minutes and update was complete.
This does not work now.
I have tried downloading to a stick following the procedure laid down PAW, nope that doesn't work either.
I have tied removing the wi-fi dongle, and connecting to router nope that doesn't work, get the same message back unable to find server or words to that effect.
Finally tried to do it manually by going to the page and initiating a software update, nope...........
I give up
Stuck on old version till someone helps me out.
I also notice each time I power up I don't always get all four greens, is there an internal problem, its intermittent?
Usually it the ADSB that falls over but I have has the PAW and the ADSB fall over.
I think help required.

Cheers
Neil

Admin

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 11:20:17 pm »
Hi Neil

Quick thought, when you connect to router over rj45, can you make sure it is set to
Dynamic ip address
And remove the wifi dongle

You should be able to connect over your wired network if you can get the ip address from your router

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 12:07:47 pm »
I also notice each time I power up I don't always get all four greens, is there an internal problem, its intermittent?
Usually it the ADSB that falls over but I have has the PAW and the ADSB fall over.
I think help required.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

The ADSB light only goes green if ADSB traffic is actually being processed. It is perfectly normal for it to show red during periods of no ADSB activity..

Have you got any further with your update? USB generally works every time, provided your stick is formatted as FAT32. The download must be called 'pilotaware.pgp' (see above re hidden file extensions in Windows) and must be the only .pgp file in the 'root' of the memory stick - i.e. not inside a folder. Did you also read the bit about not using a USB port which isn't still set to 'auto'.

Remember, you plug the USB stick in with the PAW running, then go to the Updates Screen, manually instigate a 'Check for Updates', wait a few minutes for the screen to indicate the new update is available then click 'Install'. This usually takes 5-10 minutes and includes an auto reboot, so you may need to reconnect to the PAW wifi afterwards.

Regards
Peter