Author Topic: Cell connection (3g/4g (Ipad)) and PAW  (Read 15515 times)

pivi03

Cell connection (3g/4g (Ipad)) and PAW
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:58 pm »
Firstly hello form a new member from Switzerland.

I don't know whether this has been discussed or not. While waiting for my PA delivery i was wondering wheter i can use the data built-in data module of my ipad while PA is connected via wifi?
SD is providing a useful weather overlay via cell-data.

Thank you for the help and clarification.

JCurtis

Re: Cell connection (3g/4g (Ipad)) and PAW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:24:25 pm »
Hi, yes with an iPad you should still be able to access data via the mobile network even through it is connected to PA via WiFi.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:38:24 pm »
You will need to assign a static IP, there is a thread on this on the forum

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »
You will need to assign a static IP, there is a thread on this on the forum

Really? You shouldn't need to on an iPad, all mine (on the current iOS version) will happily connect to PA and still use the 3G/4G data side just fine.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 02:10:08 pm »
I have no problems with PAW WiFi connection to SkyDemon and also a 4G service simultaneously using an iPad
David Vale, G-OCAD

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 04:50:00 pm »
Hi Jeremy
On my iphone I have to set a static IP otherwise the iphone uses pilotaware as its gateway.
Very annoying, I am surprised this works for you, are you sure your Pilotaware is not running the old kernel 3.x.x ?

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 05:33:04 pm »
Hi Jeremy
On my iphone I have to set a static IP otherwise the iphone uses pilotaware as its gateway.
Very annoying, I am surprised this works for you, are you sure your Pilotaware is not running the old kernel 3.x.x ?

Thx
Lee

Nope, says it's kernel=4.1.19-v7+

It's always worked that way for me. You don't send a DNS server with the DHCP packet, so iOS works it out.

Wadoadi

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 01:30:12 pm »
Hi, I just tried this on my ipad mini (it uses the three network incase that is relevant!) it was working then I saw the note about the Kernel and found I was on an old kernel so re imaged and now can't get it to access the internet with or without setting the static IP!

What am i missing?

JCurtis

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:00 pm »
You can try forgetting the PAW wifi network and reconnecting, might be some old data lurking in there.

Wadoadi

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 03:05:00 pm »
Ok tried the Forget and still have the same issue.

Interestingly (or not!) since the reimage with the latest full software 20170619 downloaded today when I connect to the Pilotaware wifi I get the wifi symbol on the Ipad, previously I believe it said 3g/4g at the top of the iPad screen.

In the network info i have been served a DNS and router all with the Pilotaware IP 192.168.1.1 and standard subnet of 255.255.255.0

JCurtis

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:12:59 pm »
Hmm, I'll have to upgrade mine and see what happens.  If you set a static IP address but leave the gateway & DNS blank it should work too, just more hassle.

Wadoadi

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 04:23:30 pm »
Thanks for some reason I had decided to set the static IP option within Pilotaware, which had no effect.

setting the ipad's connection for pilotaware to 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0  and leave all other option blank does work. Thank you

Could this not be set within the DHCP server of PilotAware? or however it was done before?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:27:56 pm by Wadoadi »

pivi03

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:02 pm »
Hi,

So I just picked up my PAW yest. I just plugged all the components in as described in the quick setup guide, and the licence key. --> works.
I am pretty happy.  :D :D :D :)
On my next flight on sat, i would like to test it.
However, I didn't manage to make my cell-connection work.
I set everything as Wadoadi described, but no luck.
@Wadoadi: Do you have a screen shot of your Ipad config page for me?
Any other idea?

Thank you so much in advance.

Wadoadi

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 01:13:08 pm »
Sure no problem and welcome to the club!

note you cannot use 192.168.1.1 as PilotAware used that.
each device that will connect to your Pilotaware will need its own unique IP address in the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 assuming the subnet is 255.255.255.0

note it should also say no internet connection for the Pilotaware connection.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:51:21 pm »
Could this not be set within the DHCP server of PilotAware? or however it was done before?

Unfortunately not that easy.
When switching to Jessie, the recommendation was to switch from udhcpd to dnsmasq
I have not found a way for dnsmasq to not set the router field in the client

Thx
Lee