Author Topic: Runwayhd  (Read 5434 times)

cyclone1

Runwayhd
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:01:52 pm »
I am a newbie to this techno PAW so maybe I am doing the right thing but the wrong way. I have recently (today) received my PAW. I have set up as per the quick start and everything appeared to be going well. The PAW is powered by a 22400mah ec technology type 2 charger bank with the 3 outlets. I used the ipad giving 2.4a output. The PAW powered up and all the lights appeared as per the instructions. Followed the details to get the wifi hotspot with no trouble. The config page with the details on showed all the greens in the 5 boxes. Now it came to connecting my Samsung note 2 and note 4 along with the Lenovo 7 inch tab to the PAW following the instructions in the manual. None of them showed the flarm icon in the settings so I could proceed no further. My gps test showed 15 sats so that should not have been a problem and the config page as I recall had inputs showing which I assume should it was working. Now at a loss to think what it could be stopping the downloading. Anyone had similar problems to solve this please. Regarding the battery for another go ..

exfirepro

Re: Runwayhd
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »
Cyclone,

Sorry I'm actually on holiday at the moment so don't have access to the full setup instructions, but did you set the right access codes in Runway HD? See the full Operating Instructions on www.pilotaware.com

If you don't set the right code, Paw won't send the correct data to your device.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »
Actually they all now use the pin code 6000, there are no 'specials' in any of the NAV systems

Thx
Lee

cyclone1

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:11:06 am »
I contacted airbox having seen they did a demo on paw. The reply was runway hd does not support android but maybe later this year. Disappointing as blur for paw seems to give the impression that it does all the systems stated.

cyclone1

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:23:08 am »
Just clarify, I have tested the paw on my wife's ipad (wifi only using the flame gps setting) and it works perfectly well on the 40000 test so nothing wrong with the paw its Runwayhd android just not accepting at the moment one hopes. Wife refuses to give up her ipad so will have to go looking for a cheap one till rwayhd get their act together.

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:26 am »
It's actually FLARM  that the Android version of RunwayHD doesn't not support. They are supposed to have had a fix by the end of last year.

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:40:40 pm »
Actually they all now use the pin code 6000, there are no 'specials' in any of the NAV systems

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee

Just came across this reply to a comment from Peter.
I wasn't aware of this and still use 6002 I think it is in EVFR.  Does this make any difference? Should I change my settings?

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:05 pm »
No longer makes a difference.
I would switch to 6000

Thx
Lee

cyclone1

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:06:35 pm »
Continuing on about runwayhd using ipad mini wifi only..Logging on to RWhd on home wifi the weather icons appear perfect however once in the a/c and opening with paw wifi all that appears are blue dots. I have spoken to aerobox but the solution of powering off etc should not be the case in my opinion. Now I have to say it does occasionally work normally and when it does it drops off after a few minutes normally when I am in the climb out. The standard android gps tab is fine with RWhd but of course at the moment that is no applicable for android. Aerobox have yet to give me an answer as to when it will as I am sure others will want to know too. So anyone else had this problem and any other way around this problem?

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:35 pm »
Cyclone1,

This is because PilotAware provides a 'WiFi hotspot' designed solely for presenting awareness data from other aircraft to your Nav system. It does NOT have an external internet connection, so cannot provide data such as weather etc. from external sources.

To do both, you would need a 3/4G tablet with its own sim card, or you could tether your tablet via Bluetooth to a 3/4G mobile phone and use the phone as an internet access point - though even then connection isn't guaranteed (and is apparently technically illegal due to the potential to cause blocking or interference to the ground based GSM networks - though many people do it).

Hope this helps clarify the position.

Regards

Peter

cyclone1

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 09:54:55 am »
Thanks Peter for the info, just found it odd that sometimes when I open the ipad everything works initially fine then within 10 mins it goes. Android tab works fine which is the case as you pointed out. Will go with the flow at the moment. Trying out easy vfr basic and that works fine with the paw although no routing. I carry the chart with the route drawn out so no problem there. For the flying I do SD is too over the top price wise. Lets hope RWhd get to grips with itself and gets on to android before to long.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »
Hi Cyclone,

EasyVFR ( non-basic i.e. with flight planning ) is cheaper than SD, depending on which type of membership you pay for.

cyclone1

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:01:19 pm »
I have just got the trial version of easyvfr which I have opened up. The routing is not as far as I can tell a touch screen wp and direct to. I really do like the maps of RWhd and works fine as a stand alone and if they could get their act together and get flarm working then I would not be in a mind to move to another system but aerobox just will not give a definitive answer as to when they will introduce flarm.

cyclone1

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »
solved runwayhd sort of! purchased a samsung tab s2 8 inch. RWhd works fine with andriod as a stand alone but still no word about flarm being added so the samsung tab s2 will do till the do. i split the screen of the samsung with the standard rwhd for routing and the easyvfr basic for the use of paw. I am leaning more towards sky demon when my sub for rwhd expires unless they get their act together and include flarm.