Author Topic: Power Supply  (Read 3256 times)

PaulSS

Power Supply
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:58 am »
A two-pronged question. The first, regarding power, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. The second is something that I really don't know about but I know you users and experts will  ;)

In my panel plan I am considering mounting an iPad using the Guardian Avionics mount. One of the options for the mount is a dual power supply, 5v and 2.7A per port. One port obviously goes to the iPad in the mount but would the other be an acceptable power source for a PAW unit?

Here's the power supply when it's not attached to the mount:  https://www.guardianavionics.com/ifdr-power-250-301-aircraft-remote-mount-dual-usb-port-for-panel-mounts

That's the power bit done; now to GPS position.

I know the PAW uses a GPS receiving dongle and this may well be all that is needed. Depending on the location of the PAW (mine would be behind the panel and below the coaming) a GPS mouse might be required for good reception. All good so far. What I have no idea about, having never used one in flight, is how the iPad receives and provides GPS position to the likes of Sky Demon. I know the iPad has a built in GPS receiver and there are Bluetooth units such as Bad Elf that can provide the iPad with GPS information BUT in the absence of such a device (a)is the internal GPS receiver sufficient in a light aircraft, especially if it is panel-mounted and, therefore, shielded by the panel and the surrounding equipment, as opposed to sitting on someone's lap or on the yoke and more importantly (b)does the PAW GPS position get sent to the iPad once it is connected by WiFi to the PAW box?

I can imagine that an internal GPS receiver might drop every now and again and that would be a good reason to couple up something like a Bad Elf. But if the PAW GPS position is getting beamed into the iPad then that would provide a much more elegant solution.

Cheers  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:34:35 am by PaulSS »

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:16:11 am »
Paul
Take a look at this. http://www.charge4.co.uk
I have the 2 port version installed. It works well but in your case a 4 port is available too.

The PAW drives GPS into a basic iPad fine. You set up parameters in SkyDemon and away it goes. Mine is very stable.
A mouse GPS Aerial works well.

Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

JCurtis

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:09:55 am »
In relation to Charge2 and Charge4 the website will be updated shortly with details over installatíons into EASA aircraft under CS-STAN. No need for minor mods any more which is quite handy.

Charge4 is in stock with limited Charge2 availability early next week and back in stock in around 10 days.

Any questions please ask away.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:31:32 am »
Those chargers look like nice bits of kit. I mentioned the Guardian Aviation ports mainly because there would be one would be installed with the iPad holder that I'd use, to provide power for the tablet and there is an option to get a two power outlet module, so I just thought about killing two power requirement birds with the one connection to the aircraft buss stone. That metaphor didn't work very well, did it  :-[

I'm very pleased to hear that the PAW GPS position is piped into the iPad. I feel it would provide more reliable and stable position source than the iPad's internal GPS and it will be great not having to fit yet another GPS receiver to feed the iPad.

Thank you for all your replies  :)

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:48:05 am »
Paul
The PAW GPS signal is transferred via WiFi to iPad. The PAW is a small WiFi Server, you connect to it and then start SkyDemon after setting its Connection profile. Its all in the manual.
I say this about WiFi as 'piped' means hard wired to me. It's not.
The PAW to iOS or Android is excellent and try and set up with audio. That's the most pertinent alarm!
The only 'fly in the ointment' is the FLARM world which fights to stay separate at the moment.
G
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
I used to use the PAW GPS into my Android tablet running EasyVFR nav system but reverted to using the built in tablet GPS as a couple of times when connection with PAW was lost it leaves the nav system without GPS and it is not handy to start playing with settings in a flex wing. 
Just worth thinking about.
Alan