Author Topic: wifi problems  (Read 24313 times)

Annep

wifi problems
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:03:35 am »
Problems since I changed to the latest release software. Before this it has been working fine.
Now I see pilotaware on the wifi list and after I choose it  the ipad ticks to imply that it's connected but I don't get a wifi symbol on the top left and collision aware won't connect.

I've tried going back to the  previous release but I still have this problem. I'm not sure what I've changed during this process....... I'd be grateful for any suggestions

thanks Anne

Admin

Re: wifi problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:58 am »
Problems since I changed to the latest release software. Before this it has been working fine.
Now I see pilotaware on the wifi list and after I choose it  the ipad ticks to imply that it's connected but I don't get a wifi symbol on the top left and collision aware won't connect.

I've tried going back to the  previous release but I still have this problem. I'm not sure what I've changed during this process....... I'd be grateful for any suggestions

thanks Anne

Just to clarify, you are running 20150919 ?
If you successfully connect to the WiFi
can you point your Safari Browser to
http://191.168.1.1

Please take a screen capture and post here - this should give some info about your system

Annep

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:19 pm »
Yes running 20150919
However flown today from Scarborough to East Fortune and it's working, just that wifi symbol not there.  The only problem we had was with loss of connection about 3 h in just before arriving at East Fortune. Before that seemed to be fine, picking up quite a few targets.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 01:33:46 pm »
Yes running 20150919
However flown today from Scarborough to East Fortune and it's working, just that wifi symbol not there.  The only problem we had was with loss of connection about 3 h in just before arriving at East Fortune. Before that seemed to be fine, picking up quite a few targets.

Can you clarify exactly what is meant by
just that wifi symbol not there

I have changed the settings of PilotAware, so you can continue to use the 3G for internet whilst connected to PilotAware, this is a deliberate change.
So it this what you are referring to ?

thx
Lee

trapdoor

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 05:22:51 pm »
AIUI the WiFi 'fan' symbol on the status line only appears on WiFi if there is an 'internet' connection. It doesn't signify a WiFi connection, which is a bit misleading.

wyrleybird

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »
I still get connected ok but still keeps dropping out. latest  update itunes. 
once Wi-Fi  connection drops off it doesnt reconnect until you reboot.
Any reason it keeps dropping off Lee?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:32 am »
I still get connected ok but still keeps dropping out. latest  update itunes. 
once Wi-Fi  connection drops off it doesnt reconnect until you reboot.
Any reason it keeps dropping off Lee?

I think we need to investigate a bit further.
Please be specific when you say 'dropping out' because we have a pretty complex setup where
we have
- WiFi Connection to PA
- CollisionAware Socket Connection
- NAV S/W Socket Connection

So I think you are saying you get an initial WiFi connection, this then disappears - and does not reappear
is that correct ?

I have asuspicion that some WiFi dongles are either
1. Hitting the default RPi power limit of 600mA for USB
2. Going into power saving mode.

prgoell

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
Hello,

I received a new Raspberry Pi and the wifi is connecting flawlessly with that new board.
The two Pi's look almost exactly the same but further investigation showed that the first board is marked : Raspberry Pi 2 model B V 1.1 as the other is marked  Raspberry Pi 2 model B+ version 1.2.
I thought Pi2's were all the same and there was only a difference in PI1 between B and B+.

I'll ask for the licence in the correct thread.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »
Hello,

I received a new Raspberry Pi and the wifi is connecting flawlessly with that new board.
The two Pi's look almost exactly the same but further investigation showed that the first board is marked : Raspberry Pi 2 model B V 1.1 as the other is marked  Raspberry Pi 2 model B+ version 1.2.
I thought Pi2's were all the same and there was only a difference in PI1 between B and B+.

I'll ask for the licence in the correct thread.

Hmmm, I'm confused  :o
As far I am aware the following Raspberry Pi's are in existance

Pi 1 A+
Pi 1 B+
Pi 2 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

PilotAware is only intrended to run on Pi B+ (meaning version 1 B+)

Thx
Lee

prgoell

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 06:20:47 pm »
Licence installed , WIFI connected, traffic seen in Skydemon.

Well the board is printed with that information : Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V 1.1 and it is not working.
I bought it on Ebay from some seller in China it could be fake or low quality!!!

wyrleybird

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
So All is working except it still keeps losing connection even with the updated software.
Any ideas?

Admin

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:15:12 am »
So All is working except it still keeps losing connection even with the updated software.
Any ideas?

Can we clarify the connection that is being lost ?
    Skydemon/Butterfly connect ?
    WiFi Connection ?

I think in nearly all cases I have seen it is due to 3 possible issues

1. Power Supply
2. USB Power Cable
3. WiFi Dongle

The power supply is especially put under pressurw when the ARF starts transmitting.

You also mention 'updated software', it is always best to refer to a release so that I know what is being referred to

thx
Lee

Annep

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »
After having a working pilotaware for a couple of weeks I'm now really struggling. I updated the software and was, for a time confused, by the absence of the wifi symbol, but the system was working and I understand this is now just that you have changed things to allow the phone network to operate at the same time?

then I became unable to connect to the wifi. Pilotaware just wasn't showing on the ipad, so I thought perhaps the wifi dongle had failed, so..... I have purchased a ralink rt5370 chip wifi dongle which shows, but not as pilot aware. So I purchased another wifi dongle which shows as pilot aware but with a different end number to the original dongle, but when I try to go to 192.168.1.1, it goes to a google search page, if I disable the phone network then it just says unable to connect.

Please can anyone help?

thanks Anne

wyrleybird

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 02:40:41 pm »
Hi Lee
Yes it says     Skydemon/Butterfly connect ?
using version 0926 but see you have released another update. of which i will try
Power supply is 12v to usb built in.
Wi-Fi dongle swapped for another same outcome.

I will try a USB power monkey back up to see if this helps.

Many thanks. Glenn

Admin

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »
Hi Anne

I think you have already discovered that the WiFi symbol is irrelevent as far as PAW is concerned, so no need to worry on that issue

Please can you explain this statement
I have purchased a ralink rt5370 chip wifi dongle which shows, but not as pilot aware
what do you mean it 'shows', shows as what? and where ?

So I purchased another wifi dongle which shows as pilot aware but with a different end number to the original dongle, but when I try to go to 192.168.1.1, it goes to a google search page, if I disable the phone network then it just says unable to connect.
The name of the Hotspot is derived from the unique identifier in the WiFi dongle

So just to confirm, on your iPad you see a new WiFi Hotspot appear, you connect to the Hotspot, then you point safari to
http://192.168.1.1
but this fails ?

Thx
Lee