Author Topic: Mentioned in Flight Safety Extra  (Read 1808 times)

Ian Melville

Mentioned in Flight Safety Extra
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:00 pm »
Got my email copy of Flight Safety Extra and there is a bit about airproxes.  PAW mentioned by name :)

Avoiding collisions – a monthly update from Director UK Airprox Board giving some learning themes for recreational pilots.

Not counting 6 drone/UAV reports that were assessed this month, February’s Board meeting also looked at 15 aircraft-to-aircraft incidents, of which 8 were assessed as having a definite risk of collision (3 x Category A and 5 x Category B).  All 3 of the Category A incidents, and one of the Category B Airprox resulted from head-on encounters where the pilots effectively did not see each other, and none of these encounters had the benefit of electronic conspicuity equipment to assist the pilots in gaining situational awareness.  Collision warning systems are becoming more affordable, and I know that the PilotAware1 system is gaining popularity amongst many GA pilots (other systems are available), so I can only encourage everyone to have a look at what is available and see whether it’s time to invest in something that may well save your life.

The other main themes discussed this month were: poor airmanship decisions in 6 incidents; late sightings/non-sightings in 9 events; and a couple of incidents caused by pilots flying too close to promulgated landing strips and microlight sites that were clearly marked on the map.