Author Topic: Permanent power to PAW behind the panel  (Read 4542 times)

BobD

Permanent power to PAW behind the panel
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:43 am »
Has anyone devised a better way to get permanent power to PAW when it is  located behind the panel ?

I have seen the suggestion  from the Documentation page about using a Cigarette Lighter Socket and an Anker Voltage Converter, but this strikes me as rather inelegant and bulky. I am also concerned that it may shake loose, and not provide a good permanent connection.

I have also fitted a Charge 2 USB device to my panel, but it seems rather illogical to drill a hole in the panel to feed power back behind it, and I have other items to connect to this outside the panel. I could purchase another to locate behind the panel, but again, it would be rather bulky.

Ignore my avatar, this panel is for a Europa I am building.

brinzlee

Re: Permanent power to PAW behind the panel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:22:24 pm »
We are currently building a Europa too....with the PAW installed behind the panel. Im using this and have had no issues yet !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-12V-to-5V-3A-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Module-Micro-USB-Waterproof-/291847852633?hash=item43f37cd259:g:2FIAAOSwAvJW~C~3

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:45:27 pm »

I have also fitted a Charge 2 USB device to my panel... I could purchase another to locate behind the panel, but again, it would be rather bulky.

Hi Bob,

Yes, but pretty much guaranteed reliable and RF interference free. After trying several alternatives, I fitted a charge 4 just behind the dash in my flexwing and have never regretted doing so.

Regards

Peter
p.s. not knocking your suggestion Brins - just my opinion.  :)

brinzlee

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:42 pm »
Its all good we have a Charge2 fitted as well....but we use that for the iPad and the iPhone  ;D

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
We are currently building a Europa too....with the PAW installed behind the panel. Im using this and have had no issues yet !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-12V-to-5V-3A-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Module-Micro-USB-Waterproof-/291847852633?hash=item43f37cd259:g:2FIAAOSwAvJW~C~3

I bought one of those to put on the bench, mine was marked as "KREE" brand - but I suspect they are all pretty much the same inside.
I did some basic conducted emission testing on it, just pulling 500ma from it, I had to put a 10dB attenuator on the input to the Spectrum Analyser as it overloaded the input stage.  All the interference was spread roughly between 50MHz -> 500MHz from memory.

Mine died when I was "exploring" how well it ran under load and how it handled transients.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

brinzlee

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »
Interesting !!....How much current was it pulling under test when it exploded ?? They rate it to 3A max but I'm sure it's much less.....we just need to cover the surges for PAW. I haven't experienced any generated noise on the other avionics at all

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:27 pm »
Interesting !!....How much current was it pulling under test when it exploded ?? They rate it to 3A max but I'm sure it's much less.....we just need to cover the surges for PAW. I haven't experienced any generated noise on the other avionics at all

I think it was running a 1A load, at the time I was tinkering with the input voltages and fast transients.  It spiked the electronic load as it died as it shutoff with an over voltage alert at the same time.  It did supply 3A, but as it got hot things started to get a bit iffy.

It depends on what you mean by noise on the other avionics.  Audio interference is just part of the problem, and the one thing you can easily detect.  What people don't detect is the loss of performance of equipment, normally seen a lower sensitivity owing to increased background noise on the signals.  I had one where in the aircraft everything was great, when they transmitted the receiver heard poor quality audio.  Another was poor GPS performance (poor signal strength, low sat count, slow lock etc.) and radio nav equipment not working at the normal ranges causing problems.

If you have it bolted to a metal sheet (also connected to ground) that will help prevent radiated interference, but it won't help conducted emissions.  I'd also make sure it has, at most, a 2A fuse on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the WiFi issues are simply down to swamping the receiver with noise, those WiFi dongles are pretty basic.

I have another one somewhere, as I bought two, it will be in a box somewhere in the office/lab.  I have a TEM cell now for pre-compliance testing so if I find it and have the time I might run a few sweeps.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

brinzlee

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:44:46 am »
That's very interesting, thanks for that...I will keep an eye on mine and see what happens....The unit is being supplied by a dedicated output from vertical power so hopefully that should ping out on any over current situation.

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:25 am »
I have to smile at the use of an expensive VP supply connected to cheapo Chinese gadget  :)

brinzlee

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:15:23 am »
Yeah..Totally agree...BIT of over kill...buying a VP just for the USB power supply lol

Only kidding, the Europa its in, is quite sophisticated on the avionics front so a cheeky little feed to the USB box was in order !!