Author Topic: Download update  (Read 4922 times)

ransman

Download update
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:18:58 pm »
Me and a colleague have spent much time trying to update PAW but without success.This is what we are doing.How are we going wrong?
Connect Ethernet cable to router and PAW. Connect usb to computer tower to provide power to PAW.
Leave to power up. In IPad settings connect to PAW in wifi.Go to search engine and enter 192.168.1.1
The home page is displayed. Version is 20161222. Click update. Two boxes appear marked update and the other blank but along side no updates available. Click on updates. Slowly search begins. After a few seconds a message briefly appears but so briefly I cannot read but may be an error message.
As my beard is now two inches longer thought I would try the forum for an answer. help!
Ransman

Ian Melville

Re: Download update
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:06 pm »
Two things
Change your network setting to DHCP on the PAW Network page and save
Remove WiFi Dongle
Reboot with LAN connected and try again.

I would also remove do running the PAW off a power supply or a Power pack that can supply at least 2a.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:07:52 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
Hi Ransman ,

See comments below.

Me and a colleague have spent much time trying to update PAW but without success.This is what we are doing.How are we going wrong?
Connect Ethernet cable to router and PAW.

OK so far!

Connect usb to computer tower to provide power to PAW.

This could be a problem as the PC may not be able to supply enough power.

Leave to power up.

If updating via Ethernet, you have to wait for around 20 minutes for your  PAW to establish connection with the PilotAware server and download the new software. If your router uses the same network subnet as PilotAware, this will NOT happen unless you disconnect the WiFi dongle from your PAW during this phase.

In IPad settings connect to PAW in wifi.Go to search engine and enter 192.168.1.1
The home page is displayed. Version is 20161222. Click update. Two boxes appear marked update and the other blank but along side no updates available. Click on updates. Slowly search begins. After a few seconds a message briefly appears but so briefly I cannot read but may be an error message.
As my beard is now two inches longer thought I would try the forum for an answer. help!
Ransman

This stage should ONLY be commenced after waiting the 20 minutes, powering down your PAW, removing the Ethernet connection and refitting the WiFi dongle and repowering your unit.

In simple terms:

Remove all dongles and connect PAW Ethernet to router

Power up PAW and leave for 20 minutes

Power down and remove from router

Reinsert all doglegs, (or dongles even  :-[ ). power up, connect and go to Updates page

Install new update

Or even easier, check the latest operating manual and use the USB update option.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:05:18 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »
Reinsert all doglegs

Make sure you get them in straight...  ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:03:14 pm »
Gawd.... how I hate predictive text!!  >:(

Corrected, thanks Paul.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:05:57 pm by exfirepro »

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:16 pm »
What could we blame if not for productive predictive text.    :-\

Alan

ransman

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:59:22 am »
Gentlemen thanks for your replies but I still cannot update. Changed power supply.went through process of connection,wait 20 min, disconnect and reconnect etc.as suggested.Several times I might add. Tried the sd card method. Downloaded file onto laptop but could not open the zip file (gsp or something - I'm not a tech as you probably know by now) to copy to card. I know instructions say just double click to open but says the file extn.is not supported. how  do you open a zip file?
Another suggestion was to change network settings to DHCP. I have absolutely no idea what this means or how to do it.
Many thanks
John
(ransman)

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
Hi John,

Do you have a USB memory stick available?

If so I suggest you try the memory stick update method. See pages 41/42 of the PilotAware Operating Manual available on the PilotAware website  www.pilotaware.com

This is by far the simplest method and works for all existing version updates provided your current software version is no earlier than 20160820 ( you say yours is running 20161222 so this should be fine). Only potential hiccup is if your memory stick isn't formatted as FAT32 - but as you say you're not technically minded we won't go there for the present.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

ransman

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
Hello Peter
Still no luck with this. Let me go through what I've done. I I brought a new usb stick and made sure it was clean and was FAT 32 format. From the "lode" screen downloaded the update 20170223 to laptop first then to the usb .Checked usb and confirmed updated.
Powered up PAW. Left only wifi dongle in PAW. When powered up inserted usb where glonass goes (although I don't think it matters which slot to use).
Logging on to 192.168.1.1 clicked update then check button but on laptop get error message. Same on IPad. I really don't know where to go from here.After your previous comments I was pretty confident that this was the way to go but Once again have come to a dead end.
Not sure to go from here
John

Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:42:42 pm »
Hi Ransman

Sorry to hear you are having trouble hear, it really should not be this difficult

What does this mean, I am not clear ?
.Checked usb and confirmed updated.

Do you mean the file PilotAware.pgp is in the root folder of the USB memory stick ?
Please check the name is exactly as above including upper/lower case characters, and has not been modified during copying (which Windows has a habit) to something such as :-
PILOTAWARE.PGP
PilotAware.pgp(1)

When you click the Check button - what was the error message ?

And finally regarding power, you say the following
Changed power supply.went through process of ...

Can you tell me the exact power supply you are using, if possible please provide a web reference.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:44:13 pm by Admin »

ransman

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »
Hi Lee you've cracked it and saved me from being sectioned.
I didn't realise how important the name was. When I downloaded the update onto my laptop I used the "save as" button to title the download as paw update 20170223. Not realising it would then not be recognised. As a result of your advise I used the "save" button only and it worked.
Many thanks to all those that have contributed to my sanity
John
ransman

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »
Well done John,

I think we're all glad you finally got to the bottom of that one. Hopefully things should be easier now. The USB stick method is by far the best/quickest option. Just remember to delete the existing 'PilotAware.pgp' file before you 'save' the new one next time round - or Windows will rename the new one again!!!

Handy to keep it on your stick meantime as you can use the same stick to update more than one PAW.  ;)

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
Hi Lee you've cracked it and saved me from being sectioned.

Yep me too
Thx
Lee

FlightDek

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:33 pm »
I finally managed to update my PAW using a USB stick.  This was the first update that wouldn't work using the normal network cable (either with or without the wifi dongle)

Just curious as to why it happened like this for this update.

Cheers
Dek

Ian Melville

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:43 pm »
A bit late now, but did you try changing the network settings to DHCP?