Author Topic: Paw first flight test Mod C phantom  (Read 2625 times)

Andrzej

Paw first flight test Mod C phantom
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:59:14 pm »
Hi

Today was my first flight with PAW . So what i recognize . During descent or climb i see my phantom transponder . I looks like delay response from transponder . Always phantom trafic is 100 or 200 ft below when i am climbing or 100 or 200 ft over me when descending . Should i check something ?
Sens .  medium
vert +/_ 4000 ft

Software updated to the newest version

BR
Andrzej
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:01:48 pm by Andrzej »

Ian Melville

Re: Paw first flight test Mod C phantom
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:11:26 pm »
Hi Andrzej,
Nothing for you to do. Lee is aware that some aircraft that climb or descend quickly and have a transponder will suffer from this issue.
Cheers
Ian

Andrzej

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
IAN

THX  for replay my question was just for to  be sure . I suspected that this phenomen can exist  .

My transponder is a KT 76 with ACK box .

BR
Andrzej

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:44:00 pm »
Andrzej,

This is an unfortunate side effect of Mode C detection.

Mode S targets are 'relatively' easy to positively identify as they include the ICAO hex address. Unfortunately Mode C doesn't have the Hex address and is therefore much harder to positively identify. Lee has therefore had to develop a complex filter to try to identify and disregard our own transponder. The unfortunate side effect of this is that occasionally during rapid climb or descent, our own transponder fools the system and appears as a 'threat'. This was always going to be an issue when we decided to address the Mode 'C' transponder issue. Lee is still working on improving the filter algorithms. In the meantime please ensure that you are running the most recent software update and we just have to learn to understand and accept this anomaly meanime.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:53:31 pm by exfirepro »