Author Topic: How to get internet WEB link  (Read 5372 times)

barbeau

How to get internet WEB link
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:52:16 pm »
I am new in PAW word
I have an Ipad Air 2 and an Iphone 7, connected to the PAW I experience some issues:
- From the PAW internal menu selecting "radar" option, I get the radar few seconds and it goes away. Is there any setup error?
- How to keep alive the internet connection with PAW WIFI connected ? Is there an Ipad setup otption to have both PAW connected AND internet link by GSM connection?
Thanks for your support.

exfirepro

Re: How to get internet WEB link
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:47:50 pm »
Hi barbeau,

I can't think of any setting error which would cause the radar display to drop out and certainly haven't heard any reports of this happening.

As far as the WiFi is concerned, you can't connect either your iPad or iPhone to two WiFi sites at the same time and as PilotAware is a closed network hotspot, it has no access to the internet.

It should, however, be possible to maintain internet access by setting up a Bluetooth link from your tablet to your phone and using your phone's 3/4G internet access.

I do this with my iPad mini and Samsung Galaxy S5, but have no experience of trying with an iPhone.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:58:04 pm by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:25:57 pm »
Hi barbeau,
It 's not 100% clear from your post, but could it bee your iPad/Phone going into power saving mode when watching the Radar? SkyDemon suppresses this when tracking a flight, but the Radar cannot do this as it uses the default browser. As a workaround, go to Settings>General> Auto-lock, set this to 'Never'.

Yes, it is possible to have a connection to your PAW with WiFi and still have the GSM Mobile Data connection to the internet. I do it, however, there are two issues. GSM Mobile Data does not always work well in flight and you keep getting the GSM chatter in your ears while it tries to connect. So I turn GSM data off in flight. I have never needed to use Bluetooth tethering as Peter suggested. This should just work.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:02 pm »
Ian / barbeau,

I don't routinely connect to GSM in flight, but , knowing the vagaries of the British (or French) weather, it can be a useful option for updates during a long cross country or international flight.

Regards

Peter

barbeau

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:45 pm »
About radar, selecting "radar" option 2 circles, my aircraft in the midel and small menu in the top left corner appears on screen. But 1 or 2 seconds later circles dispear and black screen with still menu on the top left corner. Idem on Iphone 7

About internet link: as soon as PAW is connected (WIFI link) to the Ipad or Iphone,  the 3G/4G internet link doesn't work any longer. Disconnecting PAW, 3G/4G come up again.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:29 pm »

Yes, it is possible to have a connection to your PAW with WiFi and still have the GSM Mobile Data connection to the internet. I do it, however, there are two issues. GSM Mobile Data does not always work well in flight and you keep getting the GSM chatter in your ears while it tries to connect. So I turn GSM data off in flight. I have never needed to use Bluetooth tethering as Peter suggested. This should just work.

Hi Guys,

Barbeau, I'm afraid I misunderstood your original post . My iPad is WiFi only, hence the only way I can get internet access in flight - for example for Notam or Weather updates to SkyDemon, is to link my tablet to my phone via bluetooth hotspot and use the phone's 3/4G to access the internet. I don't usually bother doing this for local flights, but it can be useful on longer flights.

Re losing the Radar screen, is this happening in the plane or at home? Is it possible that your iPad /phone are dropping the WiFi connection to your PilotAware in favour of a stronger local WiFi signal, such as your home router? You would be able to check this in your phone/pad's WiFi settings screen.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
Which browser are you using?

Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 04:01:12 pm »
About internet link: as soon as PAW is connected (WIFI link) to the Ipad or Iphone,  the 3G/4G internet link doesn't work any longer. Disconnecting PAW, 3G/4G come up again.

Do you mean the 3G/4G icon disappears, or that the 3G/4G functionality is no longer available.

the icon WILL disappear, but I think the features are still present.
A simple test :-
1. Connect to PilotAware
2. Open safari
3. Browse to google.com

If you can see google.com, you are still receiving 3G/4G data

Thx
Lee

barbeau

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:00 pm »

Do you mean the 3G/4G icon disappears, or that the 3G/4G functionality is no longer available.

the icon WILL disappear, but I think the features are still present.
A simple test :-
1. Connect to PilotAware
2. Open safari
3. Browse to google.com

If you can see google.com, you are still receiving 3G/4G data

Thx
Lee
Hello
 the 3G/4G icon disappears ANDthe 3G/4G functionality is no longer available.
To be sure I did what you advice, and Google didn't appear.
The answer was "Safari is not able to open the page....."
Immediatly after I switched off the WIFI fonctionality and back to Safari. Google appear soon.
That what I experienced

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »
Hi Barbeau,
Can you go into your iPad settings
Select WiFi and select the PAW WiFi. Click in the (i) to display the network settings.
On the DHCP tab, you should see the IP address, Subnet Mask and perhaps Router fields are populated. DNS and the fields below should be blank. Make a note of the IP and subnet.
Click on Static tab and enter these two figures.
Disconnect from the PAW, if you haven't already and reconnect.

Now, what happens?

I cannot explain the Radar issue, it is just a web page unless it uses Javascript and you have this turned off

barbeau

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:33:14 pm »
Hi Ian
I did what you advise. It works few minutes and then IPad lost Wifi link!!!!
I tried again and again and each time Wifi link has been lost after few minutes.
Do you have any idea?